Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
I'm short on time to read the entire thread and I may be behind on the information BUT, I wanted to give my 2 cents (and this is MY opinion based on things I've read and people I know within the health and fitness industry).

Low carb diets are not good for you. They are basically one of the fad diets that show quick results, but unless you are willing to eat low carbs (which again, is not good for you) for the rest of your life, you will gain the weight back. In my opinion, that applies to any of these diets you read about, including paleo. I mean, come on, do you really want to restrict EVERYTHING the paleo diet says you can't eat?

Your body needs carbs to function, which is probably why you are feeling lightheaded (unless I missed that it is something medical related). However, your body doesn't need processed carbs like pizza, chips, candy and cookies. You need to be eating carbs such as sweet potatoes, brown rice, quiona and oatmeal (and not the quakers maple syrup packets).

I've lost more weight, kept it off and have felt better by eating a balanced diet. My day usually consists of oatmeal with blueberries and nuts for breakfast, tuna fish/chicken with veggies and sweet potato for lunch and a meat with veggies for dinner (I try to stay away from carbs at dinner unless I've had a really hard workout). For snacks I eat quest bars, raw almonds, hard-boiled eggs, apples and peanut butter (any kind that does not contain hydrogenated oil), protein shakes, apple sauce and veggies and hummus.

You may not see the results you want IMMEDIATELY, but eating a balanced diet (including treats in moderation) will help you lose weight and KEEP it off.
Not true. In some cases they are the best diet for a person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Why would anyone cut out Carbs when its essential for energy? I don't get these fab diets that in the long term do more harm than good.

What do you eat on a low carb diet?

Steak and Cabbage? Why not have Rice and cabbage stir fry?
They cut them out because the research has shown that for some people curtailing carbs is essential for their good health.

Researchers recommend carb restriction as primary method of diabetes control
A Low-Carbohydrate, Whole-Foods Approach to Managing Diabetes and Prediabetes
Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: Critical review and evidence base

I can not eat grains - whether we are talking rice, oatmeal, quinoa, barley, or wheat - as it will throw my ulcerative colitis out of remission. I can not eat potatoes or some leafy vegetables for the same reason. Corn will get me a trip to the hospital about half the time. Not a fad diet, a survival diet first originated in the 1930's by a scientist whose daughter was wasting away and dying before her eyes. Optimal diets are not as one-size-fits-all as some would like you to believe.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:55 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
the reason it's so hard is that we have trained our bodies to burn carbs for fuel but in eating low car, higher fat we retrain our bodies to burn fat for fuel.
The human body looks to carbs as the primary source of energy naturally. In a healthy person, this is a good thing. The problem is that people often dump insane quantities of simple carbs (sugar) without fiber into their bodies quickly, and this results in huge insulin spikes. The enemy here is not carbs generally, but sugar and simple carbs specifically.

Insulin resistance can be caused by either too much bad fat or too many carbs. However, this effect can be mitigated by the consumption of good fats.

A major reason for obesity in the western diet is sugar. The average American consumes around 100g of added sugar per day, which is roughly four times the maximum recommended amount. This sugar doesn't come in its natural element, which includes fiber to slow digestion. As a result, insulin spikes. One positive of low carb diets is that they make it very hard to consume a lot of sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM

488 posts, read 856,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Carbs are not essential nutrients. Protein and fats are essential nutrients.
Carbs are essential. Processed carbs are not. There's a big difference. Lettuce not forget (ha ha, see what I did there?) that vegetables are carbs and contain vital nutrients for health. Even a low carb diet should contain plenty of vegetables, just easier on the starchy ones like corn and potatoes.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Carbs are essential. Processed carbs are not. There's a big difference. Lettuce not forget (ha ha, see what I did there?) that vegetables are carbs and contain vital nutrients for health. Even a low carb diet should contain plenty of vegetables, just easier on the starchy ones like corn and potatoes.
Most people who are eating low carb don't restrict leafy green veggies or cauliflower or broccoli, just veggies like carrots, winter squash, corn and potatoes.

Personally, restricting my carb intake is the only way I've been successful at losing weight.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Most people who are eating low carb don't restrict leafy green veggies or cauliflower or broccoli, just veggies like carrots, winter squash, corn and potatoes.

Personally, restricting my carb intake is the only way I've been successful at losing weight.
Yup, same here. Doesn't matter if those carbs are potatoes or cake. If I eat them, the pounds will come.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Carbs are not essential. Your body will make whatever glucose it needs to function.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Carbs are not essential. Your body will make whatever glucose it needs to function.
Humans require fiber; fiber exists in the form of complex carbohydrates. Regardless of where or how humans can acquire glucose - they can't produce their own fiber. Only carbohydrates can provide that for them, by way of vegetables and fruits, legumes, and other plant sources.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yup, same here. Doesn't matter if those carbs are potatoes or cake. If I eat them, the pounds will come.
There is simply no way this is true. There is nothing about carbohydrates specifically that cause weight gain.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
There is simply no way this is true. There is nothing about carbohydrates specifically that cause weight gain.
<shrug> I don't care if you believe in insulin resistance or not. It exists.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
<shrug> I don't care if you believe in insulin resistance or not. It exists.
Who said I didn't believe in insulin resistance? Did you see my post above in which I described insulin resistance in detail?

If you have a specific medical condition, such as insulin resistance, then many normal food concepts do not apply to you. A more appropriate response would have been "I am insulin resistant," not "Well, you don't believe in insulin resistance, but some do."

There is, however, evidence that whole grains can help reduce insulin sensitivity: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/5/848.short

In healthy people, carbohydrates are not a recipe for weight gain. If that were true, then there wouldn't be so many skinny Asians eating rice for every meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss