U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,523,236 times

Advertisements

Avocados
Coconut oil
Olive oil
lean proteins
tuna
beans
measure the foods
count the calories
calculate your BMR and eat slightly above it.
I don't know how old you are or how tall you are, but if you are approx. 35, and 5'5, your BMR is approx. 1275.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 7,265 times
There are a lot of good suggestions here already. One food group I would focus on are whole grains. Your body actually has to burn twice as many calories to break them down compared to processed foods. Not only that, but many of them are packed with complex carbohydrates which will actually help you feel full for longer. Some examples:

Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Barley

There are tons of other foods that will assist you in the process of losing weight. This is a good source for finding some more: 9 Fantastic Foods for Weight Loss - Upcoming Health

Hope this helps

Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 PM

4,562 posts, read 3,759,774 times
Thanks. Getting lots of variety here. Definitely gonna write some of this down to keep in mind next time I grocery shop.

But don't stop. keep it coming. Things may not taste as good as the junk, but it'll be filling. So after eating, I shouldn't crave as much. it's like I am falling back into old habits as of late last year. So, I need to step things up I guess.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:46 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,503,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Thanks. Getting lots of variety here. Definitely gonna write some of this down to keep in mind next time I grocery shop.

But don't stop. keep it coming. Things may not taste as good as the junk, but it'll be filling. So after eating, I shouldn't crave as much. it's like I am falling back into old habits as of late last year. So, I need to step things up I guess.
If you get off the fat, sugar and salt, you palate will change over time and you'll start tasting the wonderful flavors of whole food. They only taste bland at first when your taste buds are accustomed to junk.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 AM

10 posts, read 9,557 times
hey there,

Its really good that you are doing well, but only thing you need to do is, you have to do it in little proper way.
To loose weight & stay fit, you need to have control on diet too. The fast food & junk food may you'll eat but you will not feel satisfied.

have a healthy diet. eat fruits. And more on always have a healthy & heavy breakfast. Its good for health & help in reducing weight.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:53 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,965,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I am 128 pounds currently. Now at my biggest, I was over 150. So I think I did good losing. However, for the past few years my weight went up and down, normally it stayed in between 122, and 124. But I recently got back to 128. I'd like to get to 110 really.

I was wondering, what are some good foods that can fill you up, but at the same time not load on the pounds. I like sweets, and that's the problem. Junk food is great, but not filling, which can lead to eating more. I was thinking about a fruit diet, but heard that is far from healthy. So, that's out, of course some fruit to eat, but not a diet of it.

So what are the more healthy and filling foods for a grand diet. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. I am also exercising as well. Mainly crunches, as it's just my stomach I wanna lose, but I wanna do it in a healthy way of course.
Rolled oats with a little honey for breakfast.The slow release of carbs will keep you going all morning.
A homemade vegetable soup and slice of wholemeal toast with low-fat spread for lunch.
Lean meat/fish,vegetables and a small amount of carbs such as a small oven-baked potato for dinner.
Vary and repeat every day.
Don't eat after 8pm.
Choose a smaller plate and bowl to eat off than you would normally use - it's a great way of decreasing portion size.
Keep raw vegetables such as tomato,celery,carrot in the refrigerator as a snack if you're hungry but other than that try not to eat anything that doesn't require cutlery.
Don't eat any processed food.Try not to eat food that has been prepared by a store.Forget any sort of fast food.
What you should never,EVER do is diet.
Just eat a balanced intake of around 1500-1800 calories a day and take a moderate amount of exercise. You need cardio exercise not just crunches.
Walk the dog briskly for 45 minutes or just walk briskly for 45 minutes a day.
Buy a cheap pedometer and begin to build up to 10,000 steps a day including your brisk walk and then if you have the time begin to add an extra 500 steps a day each week until you're up to 15,000 steps a day.It's the very best exercise you'll ever get.Vary your route,invest in a decent ipod or the like that has some good talk radio or an audio book to keep you occupied on your travels.
Treat yourself occasionally.
A short-term/faddy/one-food/restricted diet will not work.
Ever.
Period.
Over time the weight will come off. But anything more than 1-2lbs a week will come straight back on as soon as you go back to your old way of eating.
Follow this advice and you'll notice the change in your physical well-being really quickly.
You'll be amazed how much cash you'll save too.

Last edited by Roscoe Conkling; 02-06-2015 at 03:06 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Alicia Travison Wrap Girl. If your looking to tighten, tone, and firm up those problem areas look into the wraps. If your looking into losing weight look into fat fighters, thermofit, and the greens! amazing skincare line as well! these products do need to be used with exercise. Its not just getting rid of water weight either as you are suggested to drink half your body weight in water a day.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:35 PM

11,958 posts, read 16,677,492 times
Smoothies have helped me deal with my sweet tooth. I try to keep the ratio half veggies, half fruit - and even more veggies if I can swing it.

This morning, I made a bizarrely delicious smoothie with 2 cups of red cabbage, half a cup of pea shoots, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1/3 a frozen banana, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and a tablespoon of cacao powder. Sounds gross, but you actually couldn't taste the cabbage at all! It tasted like a chocolate berry smoothie. While it was fairly calorie dense because I am using smoothies as a meal replacement, you can scale down for a snack and it is still a lot less than, say, a milkshake or ice cream. Spinach also easily is masked by the taste of berries, frozen bananas, and chocolate but the color isn't quite so appetizing. You get a punch of nutrition while also satisfying your sweet tooth.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:17 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,162,811 times
Vanilla,

I agree w/the smoothies. Ive started making them again and love the many combinations that are possible. I'm new to the idea of adding spinach to my smoothies, and it has helped me tremendously in replacing one of my meals.

Spinach has tremendous health benefits and one of the best things about it is that it has a very mild/almost nonexistent taste. It adds nothing and takes away (taste-wise) nothing from your fruit smoothie, yet it adds 1000x more health benefits to any smoothie you'll make.

If you can replace one meal per day with a healthy fruit and spinach smoothie, then this might be a way to get you back on track to your goal weight.

As a side note, I'm not sure how the other greens (eg kale) fair in smoothies. Kale has a taste in my opinion and may add a certain "bitterness" that may distract from the taste of your smoothies.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 AM

93 posts, read 111,895 times
Most people who go on a diet are looking for instant gratification but in reality healthy weight loss diets need time and for better result you have to keep patience. In my point of view whatever your diet schedule is but regularity matters for better result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or