U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,988,079 times

Advertisements

Or are you outraged that she is considered a little on the plump side?

Robyn Lawley: Plus-size model in Sports Illustrated - Business Insider

Last edited by waviking24; 02-06-2015 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 02:24 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,538,060 times
I don't care enough to get outraged. She looks good to me. Doesn't look plump. I can see why they call her plus-size, as anything that is not a stick is considered plus-size in those types of magazines.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 20,362,688 times
Robin Lawley does not look plus-sized. She looks like a very fit, average-sized woman when you see photos. She's very tall, so it makes sense that she would have a larger bone structure than someone shorter.

Ashley Graham (the plus-sized model in the ad mentioned in the article) is plus-sized. She's got a little extra all over. She's very beautiful also, but you can't see her collarbones and hip bones like you can see Lawley's.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post

Why would anyone be "outraged" about it?

She is NOT one of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models. Ashley Graham is the plus sized SI model, NOT Lawley. Lawley makes her appearance in a paid advertisement that will be in the same issue, but lets make no mistake about it, Lawley is NOT a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, Ashley is.

With all that being said, they are BOTH plus sized models. With Lawley being more along the plus plus side (i.e., larger) than Graham.

YES they are BOTH plus sized models. People should not get upset because of their "titles". The whole "plus sized" comes from what is considered "normal" in their line of work. Kinda like 6' 6" 300+ pound Charles Barkley was considered a "small" power forward. Or 6' 9" Magic Johnson was considered a very large (plus sized) NBA point guard. The measure is taken from others who are in the same line of work doing the same thing.

Thread will probably be closed by the time I hit "submit reply" on this but people need to stop getting all upset at how "plus sized" models are defined.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 PM

12,256 posts, read 7,095,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
She is NOT one of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models. Ashley Graham is the plus sized SI model, NOT Lawley. Lawley makes her appearance in a paid advertisement that will be in the same issue, but lets make no mistake about it, Lawley is NOT a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, Ashley is.

With all that being said, they are BOTH plus sized models. With Lawley being more along the plus plus side (i.e., larger) than Graham.
You have mixed the names. Ashley is larger than Robyn.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:42 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,069,542 times
The industry would call those women plus sized but they are both good looking curvy women well within the normal spectrum. We are so messed up these days by what constitutes norms, it's no wonder young women are confused.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 AM

15,130 posts, read 31,049,261 times
LOL - I don't understand anyone being "outraged." So many REAL problems in the world......

Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
LOL - I don't understand anyone being "outraged." So many REAL problems in the world......
It isnt about "real problems", its about the subject at hand, and to people who battle obesity it IS a "REAL" problem. We arent having a problem p*ssing contest here. its about a specific subject that people are discussing here. To say you dont understand someone who has been battling obesity their entire lives, bullying, laughs, snickers, being discriminated against solely because of their weight is not a "REAL" problem then why even bother posting here? To them, it IS a real problem, something they face day in and day out.

I am not saying that I agree with them, or disagree with them on the whole "plus sized" deal but you have to respect someone's feelings who have battled their entire lives with that horrible disease - obesity.

While I also stated above why anyone would be "outraged", I say it because people dont really have an understanding of what it takes to be employed as a "plus sized" model. They compare it to being plus sized in real life which is a totally different thing.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 02-09-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 AM

21,055 posts, read 11,683,349 times
They are plus sized for models - but modelling is aspirational, meaning that they bear the same resemblance to the average plus sized woman as the standard sized models bear to the standard sized woman.

Most women don't look like models.

But personally, I am very happy to see greater diversity in body types, however these beautiful women are categorized. I'm a straight woman, but I can still admire attractiveness in other women, and beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, etc., etc.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post

That is NOT plus-size, but I'm glad to see some meat on a model for a change.

Plus-size starts at size 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss