U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:15 PM

11,146 posts, read 20,349,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
OMG you are killing me.

I get it!! It get it!! Please.....no more.....I cant take it.

It's really one of those things a man can't understand.

My 12 year old says every box of tampons should include a couple of squares of dark chocolate for emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 02:41 PM

5,640 posts, read 2,847,995 times
Fresh raw carrots take away the sugar craving. So does vege smoothies. Munching on raw unsalted cashews works too.

However, as long as a person continues to drink sugar drinks and put sugar in their tea and coffee, it will be a losing battle.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,294,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Fresh raw carrots take away the sugar craving. So does vege smoothies. Munching on raw unsalted cashews works too.

However, as long as a person continues to drink sugar drinks and put sugar in their tea and coffee, it will be a losing battle.
There's only 9 calories in a teaspoon of sugar. If you're only having 1-2 cups of tea/coffee a day, and only putting 1-2 teaspoons of sugar in each, then it's not going to be a diet-breaker for you.

As a few people including myself continue to say:

It isn't consumption of fattening foods that causes weight gain. It is OVERconsumption of fattening foods that causes weight gain.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
There's only 9 calories in a teaspoon of sugar. If you're only having 1-2 cups of tea/coffee a day, and only putting 1-2 teaspoons of sugar in each, then it's not going to be a diet-breaker for you.
It's about breaking the sugar addiction and cravings. Can an alcoholic have just one shot a day? Sugar leads to overconsumption. Sugar also happens to be the fattening substance. Note that I do not call it food. It's not a food! Overconsumption of sugar leads to malnutrition, damages the gut flora, spikes one's insulin, robs us of energy and makes us fat.

No one consumes sugar for the energy. The sugar consumed is over and above our requirements which in reality is a lot less than supposed.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:31 AM

4,914 posts, read 4,041,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I am not a woman but ..... I just dont get how anyone could have such a strong craving for it..
Mars....Venus.

I can ALWAYS tell when my period is imminent (like will appear within 12 hours) because I MUST have chocolate. MUST. Or someone WILL get hurt or worse....Dinner may be a spoonful of peanut butter dipped in dark chocolate chips that night.

I LOVED the analogies by Fleetiebell and Anonchick! Spot on!

Old 02-15-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It's about breaking the sugar addiction and cravings. Can an alcoholic have just one shot a day? Sugar leads to overconsumption. Sugar also happens to be the fattening substance. Note that I do not call it food. It's not a food! Overconsumption of sugar leads to malnutrition, damages the gut flora, spikes one's insulin, robs us of energy and makes us fat.

No one consumes sugar for the energy. The sugar consumed is over and above our requirements which in reality is a lot less than supposed.
If that's truly your argument, then you wouldn't be recommending carrots. Carrots are high in sugar content.

1 medium carrot has 25 calories, and 2.9 grams of sugar.

1 teaspoon of sugar has 9 calories, and 2.3 grams of sugar.

If you really want to cut down on sugar, you'd be better off putting 1 teaspoon of sugar in your morning cup of coffee, than you would be to substitute it for a carrot. Also, carrots probably don't taste so great dunked in hot coffee. YMMV

If you're looking for *nutritional* advice, then yes that carrot is the better choice.

If you're looking for "addiction" advice, then you shouldn't have either one.

If you're looking for "calorie reduction" advice, then the sugar is the better option.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:21 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,463,191 times
Quote:

Not everyone is an alcoholic though, so plenty of people including myself are able to have a glass of wine with dinner without becoming one. In the same way plenty of people can have sugar in moderation and it's not going to make you fat or kill you if you consume less calories than you burn overall.
If eating that one chocolate is going to make you polish off the whole box, don't eat it. But if you're just going enjoy it with a cup of coffee - I don't see why one needs to deprive oneself. Life completely without sweets would just be so sad to me - chocolate, ice cream, fine pastries, fancy cakes, these are really the only foods that I can say truly give me pleasure to eat. Everything else like meat, veggies, fruit etc I just eat for function and nutrition, however I don't truly enjoy any 'regular' food in the same way I enjoy a high quality pastry. Life without sugar would essentially be a life of only boring functional food for me with no treats, I couldn't do it.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:16 PM

5,339 posts, read 6,409,055 times
Everything in moderation. I know a lot of people simply cannot do that so they omit food groups. Sometimes that works, but most of the time it doesn't. You can eliminate physical craving, but psychological ones are much harder to break. Then there is the quality of life issue. A piece of chocolate or some ice cream now and then is not going to hurt anyone and is very enjoyable. I drink wine with dinner almost every night. I am not an alcoholic. Sugar is not evil. Over consumption of sugar is.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Not everyone is an alcoholic though, so plenty of people including myself are able to have a glass of wine with dinner without becoming one. In the same way plenty of people can have sugar in moderation and it's not going to make you fat or kill you if you consume less calories than you burn overall.
If eating that one chocolate is going to make you polish off the whole box, don't eat it. But if you're just going enjoy it with a cup of coffee - I don't see why one needs to deprive oneself. Life completely without sweets would just be so sad to me - chocolate, ice cream, fine pastries, fancy cakes, these are really the only foods that I can say truly give me pleasure to eat. Everything else like meat, veggies, fruit etc I just eat for function and nutrition, however I don't truly enjoy any 'regular' food in the same way I enjoy a high quality pastry. Life without sugar would essentially be a life of only boring functional food for me with no treats, I couldn't do it.
Not only this -

but the thread isn't about sugar addiction. It's about sweet cravings that women get during their periods.

FYI - if the craving is exclusively chocolate (as opposed to any other kind of sweet), then it's possible you can reduce the cravings if you add a multivitamin/mineral the day before you're due, through the first actual day of your period. I don't remember where I read it - one of those Health Times magazines probably. But it had to do with you being low on manganese, magnesium, and iron - all things that chocolate has a pretty impressive amount of in it.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 AM

First off, I shouldn't even be on this thread. Mars and Venus. I'm from Mars. I was expecting to take some flack but y'all have let me off lightly this time. Maybe I won't be so lucky next time.

OK, here goes.

Quote:
... but the thread isn't about sugar addiction. It's about sweet cravings that women get during their periods.
That is quite true but it is about stopping sugar cravings. Does anybody not eat sugary things during the rest of the month? Snack bars and soft drinks & whatever? OK, is there anyone participating that never consumes refined sugars and carbs that still has these sugar cravings?

If one wants to control/eliminate those sugar cravings, consider what sugar actually does to your body. Those craving are a sure sign of something bad going on. Here's a quote;
Quote:
On top of that, fructose consumption negatively changes the way your brain recognizes your consumption. This is because your brain resists leptin, the protein that's vital for regulating energy intake and expenditure (which includes your keeping your appetite in check and your metabolism working efficiently). As a result, you keep eating without necessarily realizing you're full. For example, a soda containing high amounts of fructose (which is most non-diet sodas) will do little to make you think you're full even though you're taking in large amounts of calories. Your brain doesn't get the message that you really consumed much of anything and so it still thinks you're still hungry. This is a very, very basic look at part of how fructose is processed and doesn't even touch upon many of its other problems, but identifies the issue most people care about: fat production.
The full story;What Sugar Actually Does to Your Brain and Body

Quote:
Life completely without sweets would just be so sad to me - chocolate, ice cream, fine pastries, fancy cakes, these are really the only foods that I can say truly give me pleasure to eat. Everything else like meat, veggies, fruit etc. I just eat for function and nutrition, however I don't truly enjoy any 'regular' food in the same way I enjoy a high quality pastry. Life without sugar would essentially be a life of only boring functional food for me with no treats, I couldn't do it.
That's my point exactly. Kick the sugar addiction and you will start enjoying good food. Really, you will.

Quote:
If that's truly your argument, then you wouldn't be recommending carrots. Carrots are high in sugar content.
Trust me on this, eating raw carrots does not feed the addiction. Carrots do help satisfy/suppress the sugar craving, particularly for chocolates. I've been there! Try it for yourselves. Not just one week a month. Do it every day of the month. But try it and see.

Try fresh fruits too and things like cashews or even peanuts (neither of which are nuts). Some fruits are very high in sugars so I'd limit those. Check the glycemic loading charts. By the way, dried fruit does not count. Fresh fruits only. Fatty fruits (like avocado) are good too.

But realistically, it's not easy. Most of us were brought up on sugar. For some reason every damn thing had to have sugar added to it. Grated carrot with squeezed orange juice - WITH SUGAR ADDED! Why?

I now duck for cover! (I had a ducking for cover smiley - I should try to find it before the editing time expires). Go easy on me please!

Last edited by 303Guy; 02-16-2015 at 01:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss