U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 08:35 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,369,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How long did you stay on a low carb diet? It takes a few weeks to get fully adapted, although most of the worst symptoms of adaptation go away in a week.
Like 2 weeks. I have done it several times and the result is always the same. I get extremely weak. What I end up doing is adding more carbs but I do keep watching my carbs. I can do a low carb diet but not a very low carb diet. I'm not diabetic so I don't measure my blood sugar but my guess is that it gets very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:51 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,508,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Like 2 weeks. I have done it several times and the result is always the same. I get extremely weak. What I end up doing is adding more carbs but I do keep watching my carbs. I can do a low carb diet but not a very low carb diet. I'm not diabetic so I don't measure my blood sugar but my guess is that it gets very low.
I would never eat low carb if I had that reaction. Really, when I eat low carb, I feel great immediately. It's starch and sugar that drains my energy, depresses my mood, I gain weight, get the low blood sugar shakes. Cutting it out, all those issues go away. If you don't have the same reaction, then I would say a low carb diet isn't for you.

I'm a firm believer that we all have different body chemistry and what works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 AM

5,322 posts, read 6,396,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
There is no diet on the planet that is a one size fits all.
Tell that to some of the other posters.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:46 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,378,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
You are probably right. There is no standard for what constitutes low carb vs very low carb but I do think that people need to learn to listen to their bodies more (rather than counting everything). Everyone's body functions differently so we each need to learn what works for us.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:16 AM

14,489 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How tall are you? 195 might be a good weight for you especially if you are a man and on the tall side.
I'm just over 6 foot. Maybe 6' .5" . But I want to see my ribs and maybe have a six pack. Last time I was there was 30 after my divorce and prior to that when I 20.

Ah to be 20 again ...

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-21-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'm just over 6 foot. Maybe 6' .5" . But I want to see my ribs and maybe have a six pack. Last time I was there was 30 after my divorce and prior to that when I 20.

Ah to be 20 again ...

You are overweight for your height but not very overweight. When you don't have that much weight to lose you will lose slower.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 PM

32,308 posts, read 59,585,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Very low carb diets do not agree with me either. Plus eating good food, (I am a bit of a foodie) is part of my quality of living.
I'm not narcissistic enough to call myself a "foodie", but I eat very well and eat very good food on a low carb food plan, thankyouverymuch.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,508,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not narcissistic enough to call myself a "foodie", but I eat very well and eat very good food on a low carb food plan, thankyouverymuch.

I just threw together a delicious salad. Grilled chicken breast over romaine. Cherokee Purple tomatoes and lemon cucumbers from the garden. Fresh corn kernels cut off the cob, avocado, a few kalamata olives, a couple sliced strawberries and some crumbled stinky bleu cheese. I shook up a homemade balsamic vinegarette with high quality olive oil, thyme and pepper. It tasted like summer.

I've noticed food tastes better when my palate isn't numbed by salty chips, sugars and bread. And because my energy level is so much higher on a low-carb diet, I'm way more creative in the kitchen.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Our family loves to cook and we have no trouble finding good food that is naturally low carb. I make a starchy side dish for my family that I just don't eat.

Sample dinner menus:

Grilled lamb marinated in lemon, garlic, rosemary, mint
Spinach sauteed in olive oil/garlic

Poblano peppers stuffed with chicken (mexican style)
Tomato/mozzarella/cucumber salad

Meatballs/sausage-I serve mine on zucchini noodles and I use ground zucchini in the meatballs.
Salad

Roasted turkey breast/gravy (thickened with xanthum gum)
Broccoli

Stir fry with cauliflower "rice"

Steak with mushrooms/onions

Chicken with mushroom sauce

Salmon with dill sauce

Grilled pork chops

Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,026,911 times
Is it more expensive to eat low carb? Meats fruits and veggies simply cost more. You don't have to get specific, but what is your average weekly budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss