Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It seems like most people trying to lose weight (honestly, it seems like this is especially true for women) want to avoid carbs. Why? Multiple studies have shown that, calorie consumption being equal, low-carb diets are about equally as effective as low-fat and even low-protein diets at causing weight loss.

Or, better yet, a balanced diet works, too!

By leaving out carbs, it seems like one is missing a lot of healthy stuff like whole grains and fiber.
For me the bottom line is that I am more hungry when I eat carbs than I am when I eat protein and fat. It is much easier to control calories when you aren't hungry. The best diet for weight loss is the one that you will stick with for the longer term.

There is nothing essential about carbs. Your body needs fats and protein but can make whatever glucose it needs from protein. If people can eat carbs and lose weight more power to them. I can't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
For me the bottom line is that I am more hungry when I eat carbs than I am when I eat protein and fat.
It is much easier to control calories when you aren't hungry.
The best diet for weight loss is the one that you will stick with for the longer term.

There is nothing essential about carbs.
Your body needs fats and protein but can make whatever glucose it needs from protein.
If people can eat carbs and lose weight more power to them.
I can't do it.
Every sentence is ME!

Old 03-06-2015, 10:42 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
CARBS, wow I get HUNGRIER the more of them dang things I eat!

Last edited by tickyul; 03-06-2015 at 11:47 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 04:59 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,301 times
Quote:
It seems like most people trying to lose weight (honestly, it seems like this is especially true for women) want to avoid carbs. Why? Multiple studies have shown that, calorie consumption being equal, low-carb diets are about equally as effective as low-fat and even low-protein diets at causing weight loss.

Or, better yet, a balanced diet works, too!

By leaving out carbs, it seems like one is missing a lot of healthy stuff like whole grains and fiber.
What studies? How much of that weight loss is fat? Why is restricting carbs, a food Americans overindulge in, a bad thing?

Why are whole grains so great? You also make the assumption you can't get fiber from other foods. You're also making the standard 0 sum assumption; restricting carbs =/= cutting them out completely

In short, what was the point of this post?

Carbs have been shown again and again to be a fairly big issue for americans because we eat cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and pasta for dinner. We eat carbs all day and over the decades of eating this way, we become insulin resistant and cause health issues because we are already eating an unbalanced diet. Restricting carbs is fine because we need to dial back on them and eat more vegetables, protein and fat instead.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
What studies? How much of that weight loss is fat? Why is restricting carbs, a food Americans overindulge in, a bad thing?

Why are whole grains so great? You also make the assumption you can't get fiber from other foods. You're also making the standard 0 sum assumption; restricting carbs =/= cutting them out completely

Carbs have been shown again and again to be a fairly big issue for americans because we eat cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and pasta for dinner. We eat carbs all day and over the decades of eating this way, we become insulin resistant and cause health issues because we are already eating an unbalanced diet. Restricting carbs is fine because we need to dial back on them and eat more vegetables, protein and fat instead.
Fiber is a carb, anything you eat that has fiber is going to have carbs. But most people who are eating low-carb will subtract the fiber from their carb count, since fiber doesn't act like other carbs (will not cause a spike in BG). Vegetables also have carbs. Some people don't count any carbs from veggies, others do.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Cutting out carbs is the best way for me to lose weight. Carbs are sugar. I don't care if it comes from the sugar bowl, an orange, or packaged up as 'whole grain goodness'. It's sugar.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:55 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Cutting out carbs is the best way for me to lose weight. Carbs are sugar. I don't care if it comes from the sugar bowl, an orange, or packaged up as 'whole grain goodness'. It's sugar.
Simply not true. All glucoses are carbs, not all carbs are glucoses.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
What studies? How much of that weight loss is fat?
There's a plethora of studies, and more importantly, the consensus among dietitians is that calorie in/out is the greatest predictor of weight loss. However, here's a very recent study:

Low-fat diets produced more fat loss than low-carb diets, but lost less weight:
Is a Calorie a Calorie? Metabolic Fat Balance Following Selective Isocaloric Restriction of Dietary Carbohydrate Vs. Fat in Obese Adults
https://endo.confex.com/endo/2015end...aper20716.html

Quote:
Why is restricting carbs, a food Americans overindulge in, a bad thing?
I didn't say one shouldn't "restrict" carb intake, but that isn't the same as following a low-carb diet. Most Americans over indulge in refined, processed carbs and under-indulge in whole grain and vegetable-based carbs. What you're advocating is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Quote:
Why are whole grains so great?
From the Harvard School of Public Health:
"Eating whole instead of refined grains substantially lowers total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or bad) cholesterol, triglycerides, and insulin levels. Any of these changes would be expected to reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease. In the Harvard-based Nurses’ Health Study, women who ate 2 to 3 servings of whole-grain products (mostly bread and breakfast cereals) each day were 30 percent less likely to have a heart attack or die from heart disease over a 10-year period than women who ate less than 1 serving per week. (1) A recent meta-analysis of seven major studies showed that cardiovascular disease (heart attack, stroke, or the need for a procedure to bypass or open a clogged artery) was 21 percent less likely in people who ate 2.5 or more servings of whole-grain foods a day compared with those who ate less than 2 servings a week. (2)...

They also have positive effects of Diabetes, Cancer, digestion and mortality: Health Gains from Whole Grains | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Quote:
You also make the assumption you can't get fiber from other foods. You're also making the standard 0 sum assumption; restricting carbs =/= cutting them out completely
I made neither assumption.

Quote:
To ask why people were drawn to low-carb diets, which is pretty obvious from my initial post.

Quote:
Correction, Americans eat refined, processed carbs in great abundance. There is no mass whole grain or vegetable-based carb consumption occurring. They eat refined cereals for breakfast, sandwiches with refined white bread for lunch and white pasta for dinner -- most of which have sugar added in the form of coatings and sauces or sodas on the side.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Simply not true. All glucoses are carbs, not all carbs are glucoses.
All carbohydrates are sugars | Dr.Clyde Wilson

Yes I know about fiber and that it's a carb that is indigestible.

My mission is to stay in glycogenesis and force my body to use even more energy to convert protein to glycogen.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
All carbohydrates are sugars | Dr.Clyde Wilson

Yes I know about fiber and that it's a carb that is indigestible.

My mission is to stay in glycogenesis and force my body to use even more energy to convert protein to glycogen.
Read that page more carefully. Specifically, this part:

"Without fiber, complex carbohydrates, such as pasta, white bread and rice, digest so fast that the resultant sugars enter your bloodstream nearly as fast as if you had eaten sugar. Eating a bowl of plain white pasta is like eating table sugar but without the benefit of enjoying the sugar. Neither is advisable."

No one is suggesting that someone should eat a lot of white bread or white pasta. Healthy carbs are carbs that involve whole grains and fiber. The way your body treats whole grain pasta is not the same way your body treats table sugar.

Also, that guy isn't a medical doctor. It's deceptive for him to call himself "Dr. Clyde" in this context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss