U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 04:13 PM

10,691 posts, read 10,086,374 times

Advertisements

Eh all of that is too much bother for me. I'd prefer to just eat the way I've been eating, from a variety of food groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM

55,385 posts, read 54,049,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Eh all of that is too much bother for me. I'd prefer to just eat the way I've been eating, from a variety of food groups.
I prefer that way, too, but I definitely notice that the scale goes up/does not go down when I eat bread. And I'm not talking about tons of bread, bread at every meal, but if I have a sandwich one day and maybe a bagel the next day, in another day or two it shows on the scale. That's not enough calories to make me actually gain a pound, so I suspect the bread makes me hold water.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:05 PM

23,042 posts, read 7,970,463 times
Quote:
In my working out days, I ate about everything. So much is different now as my body will not allow those workouts. A lot here have joint issues and other issues and need to "WATCH" even more what they put in their mouths.

I read a lot of health links and the big no no's continue to be sugar/carbs and overdosing in these areas.

I think a bagel alone can have about 50g of carbs. They don't ever enter my house...along with breads.

I get plenty of carbs in my other foods.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I prefer that way, too, but I definitely notice that the scale goes up/does not go down when I eat bread. And I'm not talking about tons of bread, bread at every meal, but if I have a sandwich one day and maybe a bagel the next day, in another day or two it shows on the scale. That's not enough calories to make me actually gain a pound, so I suspect the bread makes me hold water.
That weight is just water. Starch (carbs) don't make you retain water if you stick to smaller portions, spread out. Eat a big portion and yes, you will retain water. The bread used in sandwiches may be considered a "big serving". A bagel is definitely a big serving. Water weight comes and goes and once you pee/poop the "pound" is gone. It's FAT gain that's the problem and as you know, virtually all foods (except for maybe low calorie veggies) can be stored as fat if you eat too much of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
In my working out days, I ate about everything. So much is different now as my body will not allow those workouts. A lot here have joint issues and other issues and need to "WATCH" even more what they put in their mouths.

I read a lot of health links and the big no no's continue to be sugar/carbs and overdosing in these areas.

I think a bagel alone can have about 50g of carbs. They don't ever enter my house...along with breads.

I get plenty of carbs in my other foods.
Sad but true, I'm only 42 and I have moderate to severe osteoarthritis in the knees. I am very grateful that I am able to exercise. Maybe that's why I'm so hardcore because I am grateful that I can still stand and am not in a wheelchair. Don't misunderstand, I do watch what I put into my mouth. I am very conscious about what I eat, but I'm not going to go overboard because restricting without being told to medically do so - be it fat, carbs, or protein - makes me miserable and more likely to return to the very bad habits that made me overweight to begin with. Removing "bread" from my diet won't do diddly for me healthwise. Instead, I eat moderate portions of starches, as well as fats. I'm adding more protein to my diet, just because I am lifting. Most societies have subsisted on starches - be it tubers or grains - for a long time and don't have health problems. They also tend to be more active and burn off whatever they consume, unlike our society.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM

23,042 posts, read 7,970,463 times
Quote:
That weight is just water. Starch (carbs) don't make you retain water if you stick to smaller portions, spread out. Eat a big portion and yes, you will retain water. The bread used in sandwiches may be considered a "big serving". A bagel is definitely a big serving. Water weight comes and goes and once you pee/poop the "pound" is gone. It's FAT gain that's the problem and as you know, virtually all foods (except for maybe low calorie veggies) can be stored as fat if you eat too much of them.

Sad but true, I'm only 42 and I have moderate to severe osteoarthritis in the knees. I am very grateful that I am able to exercise. Maybe that's why I'm so hardcore because I am grateful that I can still stand and am not in a wheelchair. Don't misunderstand, I do watch what I put into my mouth. I am very conscious about what I eat, but I'm not going to go overboard because restricting without being told to medically do so - be it fat, carbs, or protein - makes me miserable and more likely to return to the very bad habits that made me overweight to begin with. Removing "bread" from my diet won't do diddly for me healthwise. Instead, I eat moderate portions of starches, as well as fats. I'm adding more protein to my diet, just because I am lifting. Most societies have subsisted on starches - be it tubers or grains - for a long time and don't have health problems. They also tend to be more active and burn off whatever they consume, unlike our society.
Well you are only 42 and that much OA in the knees.. I sure would NOT push it...my messier knee didn't start giving me issues until I was 57. It can be managed with milder work and supps and knee supports and and and...mine got worse too with right hip replacement...changed so much on my right side including knee.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well you are only 42 and that much OA in the knees.. I sure would NOT push it...my messier knee didn't start giving me issues until I was 57. It can be managed with milder work and supps and knee supports and and and...mine got worse too with right hip replacement...changed so much on my right side including knee.
Remarkably, it's exercise that keeps the pain at bay. I used to take 2400 mg of ibuprofen daily to stave off pain and now I take none. The movement prevents the stiffness. So in a way, being sedentary would cause the arthritic pain to return. That's how I manage it. However, I do have limitations and don't rock the boat too much. for example, leg exercises. I can't squat at all. I'm trying to push the knee replacement surgery out as far as I can.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,238,359 times
I definitely eat carbs, about 150 g/day, but if I don't eat plenty of protein too I could eat not only the carbs but the box (or potato skin or whatever) they came in.

With plenty of protein my appetite stays more in check.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,380,606 times
Quote:
Remarkably, it's exercise that keeps the pain at bay. I used to take 2400 mg of ibuprofen daily to stave off pain and now I take none. The movement prevents the stiffness. So in a way, being sedentary would cause the arthritic pain to return. That's how I manage it. However, I do have limitations and don't rock the boat too much. for example, leg exercises. I can't squat at all. I'm trying to push the knee replacement surgery out as far as I can.
My husband has pain in both knees that can become downright excruciating. He usually has to get a cortisone shot when they get that bad. When he exercises the pain goes away. If he skips days of exercising the first thing he notices is that his knees start to hurt. It has been a very long time since his last shot.

Cycling is very good when your knees are shot. No impact and you can get in a good workout.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM

7,136 posts, read 2,120,365 times
Quote:
Carbs hold water. This is a scientific fact. That's why most dieters lose water weight when they first start dieting because they are limiting sugar/carbs, and the water is excreted a it has no where to *hold* to. If you reduce carbs/sugar you will reduce bloating/puffiness, generally speaking for most people.

It's also why pounds tend to pile up immediately when people eat *off* diet. Water weight comes back on when sugar/carb intake is increased.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Another thing - the things you mentioned contain a good amount of sodium. Sodium is notorious for causing water retention. That, too, could be causing your "gain". I don't gain a thing eating a potato, or a cup of pasta, or rice. A bagel has a LOT of sodium and in the aggregate can make you hold on to some water. easily resolved, though. try and also eat less salt. People like to focus on sugar, but excessive salt consumption isn't a good thing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss