U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 AM
 
Location: STL area
981 posts, read 489,977 times
Reputation: 2171

Advertisements

It really isn't quite as simple as calories in/calories out. People have different metabolisms, different food needs...people really are very different. I mean, it's part of it, but clearly not the whole picture. And health? Well, I think we should all know that health has to do with FAR more than calories in/calories out...where those calories come from is extremely important for health. I think we all know those super thin people who can and do eat whatever they want...a diet that would make someone like me quite obese. They aren't healthy people even if their calorie intake/output keeps them thin. My husband is like this (he's Asian fwiw...there is an exceptional metabolism there). He used to eat whatever the heck he wanted...he realized a few years ago that he wasn't actually healthy though, so he changed his diet. He just appears far more healthy now, even if exactly the same size. His stamina is better, his skin looks better, and he's more toned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,328 posts, read 6,400,143 times
Reputation: 9791
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
It really isn't quite as simple as calories in/calories out. People have different metabolisms, different food needs...people really are very different. I mean, it's part of it, but clearly not the whole picture. And health? Well, I think we should all know that health has to do with FAR more than calories in/calories out...where those calories come from is extremely important for health. I think we all know those super thin people who can and do eat whatever they want...a diet that would make someone like me quite obese. They aren't healthy people even if their calorie intake/output keeps them thin. My husband is like this (he's Asian fwiw...there is an exceptional metabolism there). He used to eat whatever the heck he wanted...he realized a few years ago that he wasn't actually healthy though, so he changed his diet. He just appears far more healthy now, even if exactly the same size. His stamina is better, his skin looks better, and he's more toned.
No matter how you get there it is always calories in vs calories out. That is how it works.
How you choose to consume those calories will have an effect on your success. Eating a diet rich in nutrients and fiber, choosing fresh foods as opposed to processed, and selecting foods that are satiating are the keys to being successful. Some people choose to go low carb, some people choose to eat from all the food groups. What works best for the individual is up to them. But in the end - its calories in vs calories out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 04:27 PM
 
Location: STL area
981 posts, read 489,977 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No matter how you get there it is always calories in vs calories out. That is how it works.
How you choose to consume those calories will have an effect on your success. Eating a diet rich in nutrients and fiber, choosing fresh foods as opposed to processed, and selecting foods that are satiating are the keys to being successful. Some people choose to go low carb, some people choose to eat from all the food groups. What works best for the individual is up to them. But in the end - its calories in vs calories out.
You are free to believe what you want.

Calories in/Calories out is only one factor in weight control and absolutely on one factor in overall health. Neither boils down to just one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,328 posts, read 6,400,143 times
Reputation: 9791
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
You are free to believe what you want.

Calories in/Calories out is only one factor in weight control and absolutely on one factor in overall health. Neither boils down to just one thing.
Moving the goal post are we? For overall health there are lots of factors. On that we agree.
When it comes to losing weight you MUST have a calorie deficit, hence calories in vs calories out. YOU can believe whatever you like. I will stick with the law of thermodynamics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:18 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,261 times
Reputation: 20
I just started cutting carbs as well as do 16/8 intermittent fasting for a few days. I think it is the first time in months that I have no desire for sugar and junk food. I cannot even remember when was the last time I woke up this flat stomach. I would recommend anyone to try low-carb diet. And definitely try the intermittent fasting. It is only difficult for the first few days. Then it gets really easy and you will feel the sense of accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,322 posts, read 19,756,277 times
Reputation: 45166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyTor View Post
I just started cutting carbs as well as do 16/8 intermittent fasting for a few days. I think it is the first time in months that I have no desire for sugar and junk food. I cannot even remember when was the last time I woke up this flat stomach. I would recommend anyone to try low-carb diet. And definitely try the intermittent fasting. It is only difficult for the first few days. Then it gets really easy and you will feel the sense of accomplishment.
I really think you, and people who eat like you, are the target audience for low carb. Those who over eat junk food and sweets. It's an easy way to clean up and unhealthy diet.

For those eating farrow, millet, quinoa, beans/legumes, etc. there is no point to cutting out those carbs.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,261 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Plus, eating carbs, say white rice, pasta...or the whole fibers even, brown rice
and
wheat pasta...make your body want more.

You see this when you eliminate them...you don't crave them.

The minute you have an Italian dinner with the works...you want it AGAIN!

I don't want my body to use carbs, thus, glucose as fuel.
But I'm into ketogenics...fat as fuel....my own or what I intake.
What a wonderful difference I saw in 1-2 DAYS! Mental clarity galore!
I guess the brain loves fat as fuel better, who knew!

Totally agree! I no longer have craving for carbs after cutting them of my diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,261 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I really think you, and people who eat like you, are the target audience for low carb. Those who over eat junk food and sweets. It's an easy way to clean up and unhealthy diet.

For those eating farrow, millet, quinoa, beans/legumes, etc. there is no point to cutting out those carbs.
You're probably right. However, I choose to listen to my body and responds accordingly. And the result has been great so far to me. I might require different strategy one day but as of now, it is great.

So for anyone who have been having problem with sugar/ junk food addiction, they might find this work for them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,723 posts, read 10,117,485 times
Reputation: 14204
Cutting anything out only triggers food obsession and bingeing with me. I decided to train my body to eat moderate, smaller amounts of everything. I have yet to feel the urge to binge on rice, pasta, potatoes, or truly whole grain foods. I eat a cup, or three quarters of a cup, or a small baked or sweet potato. My body has become very accustomed to that. I eat two sugary desserts per day, total calories are 280 and worth every one. Because I do this I can easily pass a tray of cookies unlike my coworker who is frustrated why she isn't losing as fast as she'd like. I don't give the cookie another thought too. Or sometimes I'll break off a quarter of the cookie purely for psychological reasons. Not enough calories to make any perceptible difference but the action itself scratched the itch and I move on. Eating a heavily carb diet hasn't caused any negative effects with me. Maybe it's because I didn't just diet, I also worked out and still do. I didn't lose muscle, in fact I have more visible muscle now. Carbs make you retain water, sure, but I'd have to eat a lot.......way more than 300g, to have that happen. The only time that happens is after my cheat day(s) and that's probably also due to salt. Working out on the days that follow and drinking plenty of water solves that problem. Ultimately though there's many paths to the same goal. Not everyone can do what I do and vice versa. But whatever gets a person lighter and healthier is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,723 posts, read 10,117,485 times
Reputation: 14204
My observation based on my own eating habits and also being a sugarholic. Complex carbs do not trigger binge like cravings on sweets. When I eat a plain baked potato, I don't proceed to shove more potatoes or any other similar carbs into my mouth. The fiber in complex carbs has a longer digestion time. Sugar on the other hand is easily absorbed and you'll quickly overeat without feeling satiety. I don't eat sugary foods when I'm hungry for that very reason. If you know something triggers overeating you can either eliminate or you can time when you eat it, and learn how to find satisfaction with smaller amounts. I think though that it would have been more of a Herculean effort to rid myself of the desire for sweets than it was to train my body to eat smaller amounts. Craving sweets has been around for a very long time. Others crave fat and salt. We all have our vices and I think there's nothing wrong with accepting that. I also find that when I have the urge for sweet, ripe fruit tastes just as good but unlike candy it's packed with vitamins and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top