U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Reputation: 14199

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I know is that when I cut out gluten - and quit counting calories, though I'm sure that cutting out gluten reduced my overall caloric intake - I lost 25 pounds in just a few months. That's a lot more than just water weight and I know that simply cutting back calories has never given me the same result. So I do think that some foods are more problematic for some people than others. For instance, a friend of mine is on the same plan I'm on, at the same level. One week several weeks ago, we were supposed to add back eggs. She added them back in - gained weight immediately and it stuck with her for several days. I added them in, and immediately lost two pounds. She tried again a few days later - bam, gained two pounds again. Meanwhile, I'm just munching down on them, happily not gaining an ounce. But she can eat gluten in moderation without gaining weight and I can't.

So I think what works for each of us can be very individualistic. I know this - I have never been able to lose weight on Weight Watchers, following it to a T. But I know many people who can and have. But getting off gluten and "white stuff" has had an immediate and impressive impact on me - much moreso than other plans. Will it work for everyone? Not likely. But it works for me!
I didn't have much success with WW either, as I was always hungry. Interestingly, they've changed to how I'm eating now (Freestyle).

Just wanted you to know, I am actually happy for you. As someone who used to be very overweight for awhile, I am happy that you've finally found something that works. It is very liberating to be rid of extra baggage. And I wholeheartedly agree that there is not a "one size fits all" to weight loss. I just draw the line when folks want to proclaim that their lifestyle or diet plan or whatever is the best for everyone's overall health because that's simply not true. I eat carbs and mostly everything about me healthwise is great. I view carbs as fuel, just like any other macro. My aim in life is to balance how much I'm eating with how much I'm burning off. I eat fats, lean meats, whole grains, all types of vegetables including potatoes, fruit, dairy. And I also balance that out with things that don't really serve any purpose at all other than to satisfy an inch. If that's what it takes to not binge my way back up to over 220 lbs then so be it. not everything has to be healthy.

Part of the problem is portion distortion. For example, a sweet potato I had yesterday. It was huge. The packaging doesn't tell you that there are 8 servings in a four potato pack. It just says 105 calories for a "medium potato". Since I'm more educated about what I'm eating than before, I deduced that there were two servings per potato. Most Americans would eat the entire potato and think that's "one serving". I cut it in half. That's a proper starch size. Same with rice. I eat 3/4 cup, not a cup and one half. Pasta is one cup. By being mindful of portions I don't worry about weight gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,300 posts, read 35,841,586 times
Reputation: 62649
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I didn't have much success with WW either, as I was always hungry. Interestingly, they've changed to how I'm eating now (Freestyle).

Just wanted you to know, I am actually happy for you. As someone who used to be very overweight for awhile, I am happy that you've finally found something that works. It is very liberating to be rid of extra baggage. And I wholeheartedly agree that there is not a "one size fits all" to weight loss. I just draw the line when folks want to proclaim that their lifestyle or diet plan or whatever is the best for everyone's overall health because that's simply not true. I eat carbs and mostly everything about me healthwise is great. I view carbs as fuel, just like any other macro. My aim in life is to balance how much I'm eating with how much I'm burning off. I eat fats, lean meats, whole grains, all types of vegetables including potatoes, fruit, dairy. And I also balance that out with things that don't really serve any purpose at all other than to satisfy an inch. If that's what it takes to not binge my way back up to over 220 lbs then so be it. not everything has to be healthy.

Part of the problem is portion distortion. For example, a sweet potato I had yesterday. It was huge. The packaging doesn't tell you that there are 8 servings in a four potato pack. It just says 105 calories for a "medium potato". Since I'm more educated about what I'm eating than before, I deduced that there were two servings per potato. Most Americans would eat the entire potato and think that's "one serving". I cut it in half. That's a proper starch size. Same with rice. I eat 3/4 cup, not a cup and one half. Pasta is one cup. By being mindful of portions I don't worry about weight gain.
Oh I totally agree with what you're saying. People need to understand that there IS no "one size fits all" when it comes to foods, lifestyles, etc.

And portion sizes are getting ridiculous. My husband and I often just ask for a box when we order because we know that in some restaurants they will bring enough food out for at least two meals. And don't get me started on packaged snacks, which thankfully I rarely even eat anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 AM
 
608 posts, read 340,288 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I totally agree with what you're saying. People need to understand that there IS no "one size fits all" when it comes to foods, lifestyles, etc.
Truth is most Americans eat nothing but salt-laden, packaged carb-filled crappola, and somehow rationalize it as their "balanced" diet. Yes, I suppose it's a lifestyle -- and it leads directly to the clothes rack where "one size fits all".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Reputation: 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Truth is most Americans eat nothing but salt-laden, packaged carb-filled crappola, and somehow rationalize it as their "balanced" diet. Yes, I suppose it's a lifestyle -- and it leads directly to the clothes rack where "one size fits all".
Uh no. Americans eat too much. PERIOD. Too much fat, protein, carbs, salt, sugar, you name it.

I got fat from eating huge portions of everything, not just one thing. That's what puts the weight on. Not one specific macro, come on now.

If that isn't the reason, they how come I lost weight? I'm your 40 something female who had an average metabolism that was becoming more sluggish as I aged. I'm nothing special. Yet I lost over a third of my body weight consuming carbohydrates. I simply ate less overall. And I moved my butt.

I continue to do that, too.

I eat a variety of carbs, mostly nutritious sources like sweet potatoes, potatoes (yes a potato is nutritious unless you are pre-diabetic), whole wheat pasta, whole wheat pitas, legumes, quinoa, etc. I also eat sugary snacks, but they are relegated to TREATS not dietary staples. My meat servings aren't the size of frisbees. 4-6 oz. And half my dinner plate has veggies of all kinds. There's nothing that tastes better than the blackberries picked from my yard too.

The moment I had a mentality shift and adapted to "eat (mostly) all things I enjoy, but less" weight issues were a thing of the past.

I've never heard of people getting fat from eating plain baked potatoes. I never heard of people getting fat from eating a small bowl of rice. Same can be said if eating meat. It's about HOW MUCH you eat. If you eat more than you expend, you gain. And what a surprise, America doesn't move much either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 01:47 PM
 
3,857 posts, read 2,712,321 times
Reputation: 7099
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh no. Americans eat too much. PERIOD. Too much fat, protein, carbs, salt, sugar, you name it.

I got fat from eating huge portions of everything, not just one thing. That's what puts the weight on. Not one specific macro, come on now.
.
That's your experience, that's what you did. There's no PERIOD about it.

This whole thread is about real people who did see healthy changes when they changed what or when they ate, not just how much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Reputation: 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's your experience, that's what you did. There's no PERIOD about it.

This whole thread is about real people who did see healthy changes when they changed what or when they ate, not just how much.
No, it is a period. Americans eat too much. That's no secret and not specific to me and my experience. Just look at your local Golden Corrall or supermarket baskets.

And I was responding to a poster who asserted that the reason why America's waistline is expanding is due to eating carb-filled things when it's overconsumption of many things, not just carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,273 posts, read 19,739,850 times
Reputation: 45138
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, it is a period. Americans eat too much. That's no secret and not specific to me and my experience. Just look at your local Golden Corrall or supermarket baskets.

And I was responding to a poster who asserted that the reason why America's waistline is expanding is due to eating carb-filled things when it's overconsumption of many things, not just carbs.
Absolutely, large portions of unhealthy food. DH and I are both pretty active, and we almost always split meals at restaurants, it's just too much food, no one needs that amount. I'll add to that the unhealthiness of fast food / chain restaurants. Literally engineered with salt, fat and sugar to be appealing. Have you looked at the nutritional info on places like Chili's or similar? They can take what looks like a healthy option and somehow shove all kinds of calories in it. Most meals are in the 2500 to 3000 calorie range. One of McDonald's salads had more calories than a Big Mac.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 03:08 PM
 
3,857 posts, read 2,712,321 times
Reputation: 7099
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, it is a period. Americans eat too much. That's no secret and not specific to me and my experience. Just look at your local Golden Corrall or supermarket baskets.

And I was responding to a poster who asserted that the reason why America's waistline is expanding is due to eating carb-filled things when it's overconsumption of many things, not just carbs.
I don't go to Golden Corral or fast food places and my supermarket basket is fine.

You just seem to want to argue with the many posters on this thread that cut their high carb foods and lost weight, when nothing else worked for them before.

I just know too many people who are slimmer and healthier with this lifestyle change, who could never lose when counting calories. They weren't gluttons. Low carb does work for many people who aren't changing the volume of their food significantly, just the types of foods they eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Reputation: 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't go to Golden Corral or fast food places and my supermarket basket is fine.

You just seem to want to argue with the many posters on this thread that cut their high carb foods and lost weight, when nothing else worked for them before.

I just know too many people who are slimmer and healthier with this lifestyle change, who could never lose when counting calories. They weren't gluttons. Low carb does work for many people who aren't changing the volume of their food significantly, just the types of foods they eat.
Incorrect. If low carb works for these particular people then fine. Like I said, anything that works because I've been there. But these people are not the majority of Americans. Americans are not getting fat because of simply eating carbohydrates and if that is "arguing" then so be it. I'm not the anomaly here, lol. you'd think that I'm some kind of special case here when I'm not. I argue against blanket statements that attribute carbohydrate intake with America's health problems because that's not true for me and many other people who don't subscribe to low carb yet have lost weight and are healthy.

And you don't go to Golden Corral, neither do I. I just picked your average restaurant. Go just about anywhere. And whether you realize it or not these people are changing the volume of their food in some manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 03:49 PM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,378,404 times
Reputation: 12159
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Incorrect. If low carb works for these particular people then fine. Like I said, anything that works because I've been there. But these people are not the majority of Americans. Americans are not getting fat because of simply eating carbohydrates and if that is "arguing" then so be it. I'm not the anomaly here, lol. you'd think that I'm some kind of special case here when I'm not. I argue against blanket statements that attribute carbohydrate intake with America's health problems because that's not true for me and many other people who don't subscribe to low carb yet have lost weight and are healthy.

And you don't go to Golden Corral, neither do I. I just picked your average restaurant. Go just about anywhere. And whether you realize it or not these people are changing the volume of their food in some manner.
You are the anomaly here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top