U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 AM

3,503 posts, read 2,352,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You arenít comparing apples to apples. Plain greek at any fat level has the same amount of carbs. Straining the yogurt for greek style concentrates the protein. Some crappy brands of greek yougurts add thickeners. And some non-greek styles have thickeners.

If you compare Fage, youíll see the nutritional contents are similar across all versions.

https://usa.fage/yogurts/fage-total-plain#fage-total-0
I did say

Quote:
It varies from brand to brand so it's best to read the label.
Fage is the better brand. It's also important to look at serving size when comparing 'apples to apples' as you stated. Yes, Greek is better as it's been strained to remove the extra whey. IMO, no benefit to the non-fat thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 10:01 AM

44,359 posts, read 35,864,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Check the number of carbs on the label. Regardless if there is no need for sweeteners, there is something in there that increases the carbs. maybe starch of some type. Check the ingredients. I do whole milk Greek, not in excess but a moderate amount. I make a desert with this type Yogurt, strawberries, flax meal and pure stevia. I also don' go overboard on the yogurt. You see, when they take out the fat they have to make up for it with other flavors and fillers.

It varies from brand to brand so it's best to read the label.

Typical Carb Counts for Plain Yogurt
A 6-ounce serving of plain yogurt contains these typical carb counts:

Whole milk Greek yogurt: 7 grams of carbohydrate
Whole milk yogurt: 8 grams of carbohydrate.
Low-fat yogurt: 12 grams of carbohydrate
Nonfat or skim milk yogurt: 13 grams of carbohydrate

more here
https://www.verywellfit.com/eating-y...b-diet-2242531

Nutrition Facts
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...in-nonfat-milk
I did check the ingredients. I posted them. Non fat milk and yogurt enzymes. Nothing else. It is non fat plain Greek yogurt. 9 grams of carbs.

I am not afraid of carbs or fats for the record - not healthy fats and not carbs that are a normal part of green or red veggies, or dairy, or that sort of thing.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't think either carbs or fats are healthier than the other. They both have their place. I get that you have wheat issues. But whole grains, legumes, and other nutritious carb sources can round out a healthy diet for non-sensitive people.
I'm with you! I'm not afraid of carbs for the record and don't go out of my way to avoid them. Just wanted to clarify that.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 AM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,890 posts, read 5,198,534 times
I recently got into Siggi's Icelandic yogurt (any other kind of yogurt gives me raging stomachaches). I don't restrict carbs, but the nonfat plain has only 6 grams of carbs.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I recently got into Siggi's Icelandic yogurt (any other kind of yogurt gives me raging stomachaches). I don't restrict carbs, but the nonfat plain has only 6 grams of carbs.
I LOVE that yogurt! I can't get it around here that I know of. But it's wonderful.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:53 AM

31,322 posts, read 19,756,277 times
Just an interesting note in case anyone doesn't know: different yogurts have different bacteria, so if you are using it for tummy problems check the label to see which they use.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just an interesting note in case anyone doesn't know: different yogurts have different bacteria, so if you are using it for tummy problems check the label to see which they use.
Very true.

I love making my own various yogurts - that way I know what's in them for sure! But I don't mind buying plain Greek yogurt as long as it's got two ingredients - milk and an enzyme.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:12 PM

4,054 posts, read 3,072,069 times
Quote:
Why? Plenty of people lose weight eating carbs. I weighed 100 lbs for most of my life, and ate lots of carbs. Healthy ones mainly.
Certain posters keep trying to say pasta and rice are healthy carbs. To me a healthy carbohydrate is a food that can be purchased in its natural state and eaten either raw or minimally cooked like: potato, carrots, lettuce, kale, legumes (excluding soy) and fruit among many others. Pasta and rice are processed foods that have to be further cooked. Processed carbs are not healthy carbs.

Reducing quantities alone did not improve my weight or health. I had to change the mix of foods I consumed to a low carb approach.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 PM

31,322 posts, read 19,756,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Certain posters keep trying to say pasta and rice are healthy carbs. To me a healthy carbohydrate is a food that can be purchased in its natural state and eaten either raw or minimally cooked like: potato, carrots, lettuce, kale, legumes (excluding soy) and fruit among many others. Pasta and rice are processed foods that have to be further cooked. Processed carbs are not healthy carbs.

Reducing quantities alone did not improve my weight or health. I had to change the mix of foods I consumed to a low carb approach.

Carbs such as farro, millet, quinoa (etc.) are healthier, and while you say "rice" there is black rice, cargo rice, brown rice..... all kinds of healthier strains. I do not consider cooking as a "processed." Are you eating your potatoes raw? I mean maybe, my husband did as a kid before wrestling practice.

Personally? I wouldn't qualify pasta and white rice as "healthy" per say, not horrible, but probably not something you want to eat in large quantities..... DEPENDING on the rest of your diet.

I eat bread every day, and I am pre-diabetic. I eat Ezekiel and another brand of sprouted grain bread, and it does not spike my blood sugar.

We make pasta and I would equate it to regular bread.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-08-2018, 08:43 PM

4,054 posts, read 3,072,069 times
Quote:
Carbs such as farro, millet, quinoa (etc.) are healthier, and while you say "rice" there is black rice, cargo rice, brown rice..... all kinds of healthier strains. I do not consider cooking as a "processed." Are you eating your potatoes raw? I mean maybe, my husband did as a kid before wrestling practice.
No I cook potatoes. I have no issue with cooking foods. A cooked potato is still very close to natural as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
Personally? I wouldn't qualify pasta and white rice as "healthy" per say, not horrible, but probably not something you want to eat in large quantities..... DEPENDING on the rest of your diet.
Basically I realized that I did not need the extra calories that come from pasta or rice given the quantity and quality of other foods I like to eat. If I ran marathons every week I could see eating that stuff but in reality I am not quite that active. If I did become more active in the future I may re-incorporate pasta as I still eat some bread and I know my body accepts it without issue and it goes well with the tomatoes which I love dearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss