U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 11:38 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,399,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
i envy your reduced blood pressure that's the one thing that did NOT improve because I am hypertensive. It runs in my family and it's a constant battle.
Reducing your carb consumption may help with the blood pressure. Although LC and LF diets will both produce weight loss, LC diets reduce blood pressure more than LF diets. When it comes to blood pressure what you eat matters much more than how much you eat.

My blood pressure was much higher when I was heavier. My husband also eats low carb and he didn't need to lose any weight. He had high blood pressure before he changed his diet and he has been able to come off all the blood pressure meds he was taking before. He eats more carbs than I do. His diet contains more beans than I eat and he also eats a small amount of potatoes from time to time.

His blood sugar has gone down as well. He was prediabetic and now his fasting blood sugar is in the normal range.

I generally don't care what other people eat but I think you might benefit from lowering the carbs in your diet. I don't think it will matter for weight loss but it might make a difference in your blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 AM

5,340 posts, read 6,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, on my diet that is completely devoid of wheat based products, I am at my lowest weight in years and still losing. Just got my lab results back and they are impressive and fabulous, as is my blood sugar (I was prediabetic before losing 25 pounds) and blood pressure. I feel FANTASTIC and am headed for the gym.

I can eat a small amount of rice, as well as a small amount of potatoes and even corn and beans - I mean like 1/4 a cup, for garnishment more than an actual serving, and still lose weight but one OUNCE (and I am not exaggerating that) of any wheat based carb makes me bloat up like a blowfish. So basically I just avoid carbs that are in "white foods."

In spite of counting calories, prior to cutting out "white food" (or limiting it severely) I was simply unable to lose more than about 5 pounds. Now I don't count calories at all but I cut out categories of food instead. I focus on fruits (none of which seem to bother me at all), veggies (same here) and lean proteins, as well as a few healthy fats like avocado and nuts. I have more energy now than I've had in years and do not miss the "white foods" at ALL. I did at first, but now I don't even a little bit.
That is great news. You found the key that works for you.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM

3,509 posts, read 2,361,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Reducing your carb consumption may help with the blood pressure. Although LC and LF diets will both produce weight loss, LC diets reduce blood pressure more than LF diets. When it comes to blood pressure what you eat matters much more than how much you eat.

My blood pressure was much higher when I was heavier. My husband also eats low carb and he didn't need to lose any weight. He had high blood pressure before he changed his diet and he has been able to come off all the blood pressure meds he was taking before. He eats more carbs than I do. His diet contains more beans than I eat and he also eats a small amount of potatoes from time to time.

His blood sugar has gone down as well. He was prediabetic and now his fasting blood sugar is in the normal range.

I generally don't care what other people eat but I think you might benefit from lowering the carbs in your diet. I don't think it will matter for weight loss but it might make a difference in your blood pressure.
My BP has gone down as well on a LC diet.

This may have something to do with it.

Can a High-Carb Diet Cause You to Retain Water?

Quote:
When you consume carbohydrates, your body converts them to glycogen, which is then stored in the muscles for energy. For every gram of glycogen stored, you gain approximately 2.7 grams of water
I will say this, when on LC you lose a LOT of water and sodium along with it. I find myself going to the bathroom more often than when I eat some carbs. As a result, I have no problem adding extra salt to all of my foods and in fact, I crave it. I test low or borderline low for sodium on my lab work. My BP tests normal without medication. I had been BP meds for over 10 years. and along with a diuretic at one point. Once I switched my diet, it all went away.

Not everyone will react the same way. For some it's hereditary and will have high BP regardless but diet does play a big part of it.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:08 PM

10,730 posts, read 10,135,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Don't think so. I am pre-disposed to hypertension. I'm beyond just being high. I lost over a third of my body weight and my blood pressure never went down. I exercise like a nut and my heart pumps well but that's done nothing. Meanwhile, everything else dramatically improved, including sugar. My doctor, whom I trust and is generally not a pill pusher never put that onto the table and honestly, I'm not willing to try it as I definitely know I wouldn't stick to it. I watch my salt intake and that hasn't done much of anything either.

I don't get water retention on my current diet where I eat probably 200-300g of carbs. the only time water retention becomes an issue is if I overeat.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:55 PM

10,730 posts, read 10,135,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Don't think so. I am pre-disposed to hypertension. I'm beyond just being high. I lost over a third of my body weight and my blood pressure never went down. I exercise like a nut and my heart pumps well but that's done nothing. Meanwhile, everything else dramatically improved, including sugar. My doctor, whom I trust and is generally not a pill pusher never put that onto the table and honestly, I'm not willing to try it as I definitely know I wouldn't stick to it. I watch my salt intake and that hasn't done much of anything either.

I don't get water retention on my current diet where I eat probably 200-300g of carbs. the only time water retention becomes an issue is if I overeat.
Let me rephrase. That may work for those who are skirting with high blood pressure, not those who are Stage 2/3 like I was. My husband is overweight and has no blood pressure issues whatsoever. I appreciate your post so thank you, but I know myself. I know that I would abandon such a regime at some point and encourage me to overeat instead. Crazy, I know, but I think part of my sugar addiction stemmed from my mom totally forbidding it in the house intead of doling out one piece. Over time I just became obsessed about it. I finally found a happy medium and it's not perfect but it keeps the pounds off, cravings down, and allows me to live some semblance of a normal life (for lack of a better term).

Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 PM

31,391 posts, read 19,811,577 times
When I did LC (<10 and <30) my blood pressure never went down.

Right now I am eating a reasonable amount of carbs and my BP has dropped, which I can only attribute to exercise, but barely because I've been exercising a long time.

I WISH I knew what made it drop recently, it's been super high for about a decade, and I'm not overweight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-19-2018, 10:47 PM

44,478 posts, read 35,950,842 times
I would encourage people to TRY a low carb diet if they have high BP and their doc says it's OK. The reason is that my husband is doing it and his BP has gone down significantly (as has his weight). I didn't have high BP to start with but it was about 120/80 and it's now down to 100/60 and I've also lost over 25 pounds.

Once the wheat addiction was kicked for me, I haven't missed it at all, which surprises me but there it is. I haven't kicked all carbs to the curb, but I have kicked wheat to the curb and it's really been helpful.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:53 PM

20,790 posts, read 35,857,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I would encourage people to TRY a low carb diet if they have high BP and their doc says it's OK. The reason is that my husband is doing it and his BP has gone down significantly (as has his weight). I didn't have high BP to start with but it was about 120/80 and it's now down to 100/60 and I've also lost over 25 pounds.

Once the wheat addiction was kicked for me, I haven't missed it at all, which surprises me but there it is. I haven't kicked all carbs to the curb, but I have kicked wheat to the curb and it's really been helpful.
I would say the majority of Americans would definitely benefit from eliminating wheat from their diets, but we all know how stubborn some people can be.. It is no coincidence that modern wheat has fueled the multi-billion dollar healthcare disaster in this country when you have 70% of the populace that is obese or overweight. Most should just stick closely with a modified paleo diet: vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Carbs should come from anything but wheat, and starches should be moderated. The approach works very well for those that stick with it for long periods of time.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:04 PM

766 posts, read 277,155 times
golly, i can't go thru all the pages of opinions, haven't been here in 4 years!!! BUT: for me, carbs are my heroin. truly. i used to eat NOTHING but carbs...... and since i haven't been here since 2014, i had lost 100 pounds..... and only could do it by tight restriction on carbs.... i ate 60 or 90 calorie pitas or wraps, mostly veggies, lotsa meats (sometimes not so healthy ones, like oscar meyer weiners...sheesh, i figured since i couldn't eat potatoes, rice, pizza, mac n'cheese or cornedrye bread, i was still gonna eat my weiners, no hotdog roll though)..... i ate as few grams of sugar as possible...and lost the magic 100.

hate to disclose this, it's just kinda embarassing, the only reason i finally got pushed to lose weight was i was diagnosed diabetic, and quite frankly it was only because OBAMACARE saved my life...... i don't get the vitriol out there for this program, it gosh darn saved my life, i could FINALLY afford to go to a doctor and when i did, i had high blood pressure and diabetes, which i guess i inherited from my grandmother.....but my eating habits pushed me there.

Truly, i am addicted to carbs.... my first year cutting carbs, i literally ate nothing but matcha tea, chicken, tilapia, flounder filets and brussel sprouts or green beans.... and lost 40 pounds in two months!!!!!! but after 9 months of that, i was so bored and climbing the wall for variety.... over the next 3 years, the rest of the weight came off more slowly....as there were backslides and i would foolishly go to CVS pharmacy the day after a holiday and pick up a few bags of Lindt truffles half price. crazy bad

but that was like what? 2 max 3 days a year.... i have toughed my way thru the diabetes, in January of this year I finally hit the magic 5.3 normal A1C and started having drastically dangerously low glucose levels to the point i was getting disorientated, wobbly and pretty much out of it. Then i also had dangerously high protein levels that could shut down my kidneys.... so my doctor took me off the diabetes meds, proclaimed me CURED (well, like an alcoholic, i doubt you are ever cured of diabetes) BUT:
NOW I HAD TO NAVIGATE EATING kinda normal..... and i went off the rails, it was like a for the past 4 years, i was a dry drunk, but instead of walking into a bar, i started going back into the unhealthy mid aisles of a grocery store, and there i was eating pork n'beans, an occasional slice of pizza, a few subs from Harris Teeter.... and next thing ya know i am out of control, especially with bread..... then i would have whole casseroles filled with rice or potatoes.... Micky D's and Taco Bell had opened new stores literally around the corner.....and there i was ordering crunch wrap supremes and double cheeseburgers.... and i wasn't peeling off the hamburger roll like i would in the past.

fast forward to now, April, and i am 30 pounds heavier...... and hate myself again, have withdrawn from the world and can't seem to get back on track....

so NO, I CAN'T EAT CARBS..... i truly can't..... i am as addicted as any addict is to cocaine, heroin or alcohol. I'm on medicare now, which covers pretty much nothing, so can't afford to get a dietician or nutritionist to help me figure out what the heck i can do ..... i'm not cured of diabetes, i had to go back on the diabetes meds because of all the bread i was eating. Carbs equal death to me. And if i can't start eating truly healthy, with restricted carbs, meaning literally no rice, potatoes, pasta or bread, because when i try to eat a normal portion, i just can't...well, i'm old enough now to just wanna give up on life totally. This carb addiction pretty much will be the death of me.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:51 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,042,847 times
ceiligrrl, I sent you a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss