U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 PM

31,274 posts, read 19,747,462 times

Advertisements

That's great that eliminating carbs works for you!

But you weren't really the victim of carbs, you were the victim of over eating unhealthy foods which contained carbs.

I can have two pieces of sprouted grain toast, and some carb for dinner and not start eating at McDonalds.

BUT it is good that you know what takes away your self control, that's part of the battle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 06:05 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,823,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's great that eliminating carbs works for you!

But you weren't really the victim of carbs, you were the victim of over eating unhealthy foods which contained carbs.

I can have two pieces of sprouted grain toast, and some carb for dinner and not start eating at McDonalds.

BUT it is good that you know what takes away your self control, that's part of the battle.
That may be true for some, but for many others wheat has appetite stimulating properties that just don't exist to any extent in other foods. So, they are actually addicted to perpetually satisfying the "not full" feeling- even though they are consuming more calories than necessary. It is the brain playing tricks with our rational thought processes and it is terrible.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That may be true for some, but for many others wheat has appetite stimulating properties that just don't exist to any extent in other foods. So, they are actually addicted to perpetually satisfying the "not full" feeling- even though they are consuming more calories than necessary. It is the brain playing tricks with our rational thought processes and it is terrible.
I've never had that problem, but I would suppose some could, and the same with sugar.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 1,084 times
although, its true that you can lose weight faster by cutting out carbs. However, I agree that is a little extreme for us normal moms whose schedule is so crazy and just to get a meal in on the go GOD SEND>>... I have experience that this worked for me more effectively...

I just cut my meals in half ... ate what i wanted just in smaller portions and I ate less sweets
also I didn't eat anything passed 630pm because your bodies metabolism slows down towards the evening and night time...

Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 AM

10,722 posts, read 10,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
golly, i can't go thru all the pages of opinions, haven't been here in 4 years!!! BUT: for me, carbs are my heroin. truly. i used to eat NOTHING but carbs...... and since i haven't been here since 2014, i had lost 100 pounds..... and only could do it by tight restriction on carbs.... i ate 60 or 90 calorie pitas or wraps, mostly veggies, lotsa meats (sometimes not so healthy ones, like oscar meyer weiners...sheesh, i figured since i couldn't eat potatoes, rice, pizza, mac n'cheese or cornedrye bread, i was still gonna eat my weiners, no hotdog roll though)..... i ate as few grams of sugar as possible...and lost the magic 100.

hate to disclose this, it's just kinda embarassing, the only reason i finally got pushed to lose weight was i was diagnosed diabetic, and quite frankly it was only because OBAMACARE saved my life...... i don't get the vitriol out there for this program, it gosh darn saved my life, i could FINALLY afford to go to a doctor and when i did, i had high blood pressure and diabetes, which i guess i inherited from my grandmother.....but my eating habits pushed me there.

Truly, i am addicted to carbs.... my first year cutting carbs, i literally ate nothing but matcha tea, chicken, tilapia, flounder filets and brussel sprouts or green beans.... and lost 40 pounds in two months!!!!!! but after 9 months of that, i was so bored and climbing the wall for variety.... over the next 3 years, the rest of the weight came off more slowly....as there were backslides and i would foolishly go to CVS pharmacy the day after a holiday and pick up a few bags of Lindt truffles half price. crazy bad

but that was like what? 2 max 3 days a year.... i have toughed my way thru the diabetes, in January of this year I finally hit the magic 5.3 normal A1C and started having drastically dangerously low glucose levels to the point i was getting disorientated, wobbly and pretty much out of it. Then i also had dangerously high protein levels that could shut down my kidneys.... so my doctor took me off the diabetes meds, proclaimed me CURED (well, like an alcoholic, i doubt you are ever cured of diabetes) BUT:
NOW I HAD TO NAVIGATE EATING kinda normal..... and i went off the rails, it was like a for the past 4 years, i was a dry drunk, but instead of walking into a bar, i started going back into the unhealthy mid aisles of a grocery store, and there i was eating pork n'beans, an occasional slice of pizza, a few subs from Harris Teeter.... and next thing ya know i am out of control, especially with bread..... then i would have whole casseroles filled with rice or potatoes.... Micky D's and Taco Bell had opened new stores literally around the corner.....and there i was ordering crunch wrap supremes and double cheeseburgers.... and i wasn't peeling off the hamburger roll like i would in the past.

fast forward to now, April, and i am 30 pounds heavier...... and hate myself again, have withdrawn from the world and can't seem to get back on track....

so NO, I CAN'T EAT CARBS..... i truly can't..... i am as addicted as any addict is to cocaine, heroin or alcohol. I'm on medicare now, which covers pretty much nothing, so can't afford to get a dietician or nutritionist to help me figure out what the heck i can do ..... i'm not cured of diabetes, i had to go back on the diabetes meds because of all the bread i was eating. Carbs equal death to me. And if i can't start eating truly healthy, with restricted carbs, meaning literally no rice, potatoes, pasta or bread, because when i try to eat a normal portion, i just can't...well, i'm old enough now to just wanna give up on life totally. This carb addiction pretty much will be the death of me.
I have to agree with Mikayla. You reached for pure garbage that just happened to contain carbs. You didn't binge on sweet potatoes, plain baked potatoes, regular beans without all of the fatty meat and salt...all of that stuff you're eating is full of not just carbs but excessive fat and sodium. None of it was cooked at home. I'm sorry that you regained, but just look at what you've been consuming. Maybe the restrictive diet you had before was the impetus for you to return to your old ways when given the chance. Maybe you didn't completely buy in to your previous meal plan.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:41 AM

608 posts, read 340,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have to agree with Mikayla. You reached for pure garbage that just happened to contain carbs. You didn't binge on sweet potatoes, plain baked potatoes, regular beans without all of the fatty meat and salt...all of that stuff you're eating is full of not just carbs but excessive fat and sodium. None of it was cooked at home. I'm sorry that you regained, but just look at what you've been consuming. Maybe the restrictive diet you had before was the impetus for you to return to your old ways when given the chance. Maybe you didn't completely buy in to your previous meal plan.
So eating home-made pizza, mashed potatoes, and biscuits hot from the oven is somehow better than fast food? Carbs are carbs, and a diet heavy on carbs will put on the pounds.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:50 AM

5,704 posts, read 4,122,391 times
Quote:
I eat the thin slice 60 calorie version. that's the only thin sliced bread i'll eat. the others taste like garbage. When it comes to carbs, I try to eat things that have the most fiber content. Sweet potatoes have a whopping 4g for a small one and only 105 cals. I love my rice but today I think I'm gonna have a sweet potato!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Healthy-G...20-oz/10314776

If you can buy this at your local Walmart, give it a try. Whole grain and only 35 calories/slice.
It is full size bread, tastes and has the same texture as other "regular" whole grain bread. I love it.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
So eating home-made pizza, mashed potatoes, and biscuits hot from the oven is somehow better than fast food? Carbs are carbs, and a diet heavy on carbs will put on the pounds.
Uh not like I'd make that stuff, but a cup of mashed potatoes with only a tablespoon of butter/margarine, a plain baked potato, a pizza made with a lower sodium sauce and fresh veggies as toppings and at most a half cup of cheese and the size of a small dinner plate (think personal size)....will not result in weight gain and not a sodium and fat bomb like most fast food offerings are.

My point was also HEALTHY home cooked food.

Since you make such blanket statements, can you explain to me why my carb-heavy diet (55%-60% of total calories eaten) hasn't resulted in any true weight gain? Why I've kept the weight off after almost two years, (I'm in my 40s, by the way, so you can't say that it's because I'm younger) Why my body composition is pretty good, especially considering I was actually obese not just overweight? Why I've actually LOST weight eating grains, rice, potatoes, beans and such?

My husband has lost weight too following a similar plan. We just eat less calories overall and we don't sit on our duffs. There are those who may need to restrict in order to see results and that's great. But making such statements as "A diet heavy on carbs will put on pounds" is just as incredulous as "a diet full of fat will put on pounds". How about having a healthy mix of everything? BTW my diet isn't particularly low fat either and I don't eat fat free garbage. I will give my hat to the high fat people...no more of that egg substitute nonsense...I eat eggs. Yum.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Healthy-G...20-oz/10314776

If you can buy this at your local Walmart, give it a try. Whole grain and only 35 calories/slice.
It is full size bread, tastes and has the same texture as other "regular" whole grain bread. I love it.
Hey thanks!!! I'll check it out! I think bread can be so underrated. I eat maybe 1 slice per day since it provides a good serving of fiber. And fiber is a good thing that not many people get enough of!

Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Hey thanks!!! I'll check it out! I think bread can be so underrated. I eat maybe 1 slice per day since it provides a good serving of fiber. And fiber is a good thing that not many people get enough of!
Sara Lee offers a 45 calorie bread too that's very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss