U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:46 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,911,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Question about bread and pasta.....I usually have some cheese and rye bread for breakfast, and also occasionally make a sausage and rye bread sandwich for dinner (more frequently use bread for breakfast). So I think maybe limited consumption is ok?

Not sure about pasta. I was using pasta...egg noodles.... as the starch to go along with some stews I was making over winter (usually I use potatos, so this was more for variety). Didn't seem quite as "heavy" as potatoes.

I think my big carb intake comes from fruits...grapefruit, apples, oranges, and pears. Also from bananas?, which I used with oatmeal or cheerios. I also eat a lot of berries with cereal...not sure if there are carbs in those, too?

Hmm...maybe I DO have too much carbs in my diet???. Don't want to give up the fruit & berries, though....
All those foodstuff seem healthy to except the Cheese and Sausages. Carbohydrates are essential for us they should make up the majority of your caloric intake. Its only when you eat processed Carbs like Cake or heavily oiled/fat added carbs like Fried Rice or Macaroni Cheese you should worry about. Berries are a fruit its packed full with nutrients don't worry about eating fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:55 PM

28,390 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Hmm...maybe I DO have too much carbs in my diet???.
Don't want to give up the fruit & berries, though....
I'll suggest that perhaps even more important than the WHAT that you eat...
is the WHEN, as in which hours of the day, that you eat it.

Avoid carbs, even complex carbs, and of course calories (whatever their amount)
being consumed AFTER your most active hours. Instead, have them before you
are most active and by that can burn them up.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:04 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,911,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'll suggest that perhaps even more important than the WHAT that you eat...
is the WHEN, as in which hours of the day, that you eat it.

Avoid carbs, even complex carbs, and of course calories (whatever their amount)
being consumed AFTER your most active hours. Instead, have them before you
are most active and by that can burn them up.
AVOID CARBS? Really???

There's a reason we have Curry and Rice and not Curry and Salad!

Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM

28,390 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
AVOID CARBS? Really???
Are you just being pedantic... or do you have an actually constructive point?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,965,663 times
Quote:
How is your weight? There is no singular level of carbs that is right for all
people.
My weight right now is 187-188 lbs. (im 6-5 and pushing 56 years old), so am in my weight range. Concern is more about keeping weight off and staying in a 180 lbs- 185 lbs weight range.

@@@@

Re cereal. I usually alternate between cheerios and oatmeal (usually oatmeal on weekends), as a way to avoid the same thing every day, or if I run low on milk I'll have oatmeal. I did get some musli from Trader Joes two weeks ago, but it wasn't to my taste.

@@@

I use cheese pretty much for breakfast, but I notice I will work it into other things, too. More than I thought (like feta or those hard (for grating) Italian cheeses as a topping for salads, noodles, etc...using cheese with noodles & dill/chives/etc was sort of an experiment, as was using gruyere for a Belgian spaghetti recipe) this winter as a side dish. And the occasional ham or roast beef and cheese sandwhich (these are single deli slices since I don't want to buy a whole bunch of cheese or cold cuts) .

I usually don't do things like cheese sauces. Is cheese considered a carbohydrate?

@@

Bread is really pretty limited to things like pumpernickel and rye bread...usually that Rudolphs rye from Canada since it is pretty close to the rye bread they used to sell in Chicago. Or the rye you get at Miejer in their German food shelf.
So this is a pretty sparing use of bread. I will occasionally get a pretzel from some bakers in the city, but that's usually just a weekend thing.

I think I might get more carbos from sugar and sugary stuff like donuts, danish, chocolate, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc ....been trying to pull back on using extra sweetner in stuff like cereal, etc....and fruits, as I mentioned.

Another carbo source is beer, which I think could add up even if I only drink a pint or two once a week.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:37 AM

14,499 posts, read 22,341,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
For me the bottom line is that I am more hungry when I eat carbs than I am when I eat protein and fat. It is much easier to control calories when you aren't hungry. The best diet for weight loss is the one that you will stick with for the longer term.

There is nothing essential about carbs. Your body needs fats and protein but can make whatever glucose it needs from protein. If people can eat carbs and lose weight more power to them. I can't do it.
This is me.

About a year and five months ago, I lost about 40 lbs due to drinking a green smoothie per day, eating salad at all three meals, eating meat and fat within reason, and seriously limiting carbs like bread, pasta, rice, etc., and avoiding anything fast food or in a box and flat out eliminating corn, milk, etc.

I went from 235 down to 220 by eating practically vegan, then after a time, I got down to about 207, then when I reduced beans seeds and nuts and starting eating meat and eggs again, I lost a pound a day until I got down to 195. I hung around 195 for about the next 6 months and then I slowly started to add foods back in, like pizza, breakfast burritos, bagels, whole wheat bread, etc.

I must have an addiction to wheat, bread, and certain complex carbs because they leave me tired after I eat them, then two hours later, I need to eat more. Needless to say, I eventually gained back about 25 lbs.

So when we just got back from vacation in Vegas in April, I started on a diet again where I avoid all grains I can. No bread, wheat or otherwise, no rice, no pasta, limited potatoes, etc.

This morning, I weighed in at 200.4. I aim to get back down to 195. I miss pizza and bagels. I can definitely do without pasta! This is what I do for my pasta cravings; I start with a jar of Rao roasted garlic sauce, some pork meatballs, and a spaghetti squash. Delicious and no pasta.

Don't know how I'm gonna get over my pizza cravings or bagel cravings except to give in once in a while and then suffer the consequences. The next time I get down to 195, I aim to be more diligent about staying there.

I say all that to say this; it's not just about the weight loss. I have a great blood pressure, pulse, energy level, mental attitude, etc.

My body just don't seem to be wired for grain. In my mind, grass seeds in its many forms is for cows. I ain't a cow and I'm done trying to look like one, but hey, that's just me.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM

32,309 posts, read 59,595,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Fiber leaves you filling full more than anything else -- including protein.
Doesn't work that way for me. 100 calories of an apple and 100 calories of a chicken breast are not equal when it comes to keeping me from wanting more food. The apple will leave me hungry every time; the chicken breast will leave me quite satisfied for hours.

The only high-carb food that satisfies me the same way proteins do is oatmeal.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 AM

9,567 posts, read 17,100,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I guess the brain loves fat as fuel better, who knew!
Brain, livin’ on ketones – a molecular neuroscience look at the ketogenic diet

This is true, and evolutionarily speaking you can see the beauty of it. After all, when you've gone in a fasted state for 2 days or more you also start to produce ketones and you need a sharp brain to go out and find something to kill and eat.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:39 PM

13,903 posts, read 19,076,418 times
Diet and nutrition dogma seems to be very cyclic anymore. In the late 80s and early 90s you had the low fat craze hit (which was a disaster in about every way possible) which in turn gave way to the low carb craze which then gave way to the low glycemic craze which then gave way (sort of) to the intermittent fasting thing. Now it seems low carb is coming back into vogue.

As Lyle McDonald says, the best diet is the one you will actually follow. For some people like myself who are big meat eaters, low carb is great. For other people, not so much. The thing people need to understand though is that the rule of calories in vs calories out still applies. Low carb just uses food choices to sort of trick you into keeping calories low.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:48 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,663,074 times
Carbs are metabolized as sugar. And we all know what sugar does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss