U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 11:11 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,245,545 times

Advertisements

How Carbohydrates Elevate Cholesterol - ACAM Integrative Medicine (IM) Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 AM

55,632 posts, read 54,217,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I actually have the exact opposite reaction. Eating carbs (meaning starches like bread and potatoes, and sugar) seems to put me on a blood sugar roller coaster and I can't go a week without losing it and bingeing on Pop Tarts. But when I eliminate them from my diet and eat frequent low-carb/high-protein small meals (proteins and vegetables), the insanity ends and I actually feel like a normal functioning adult who is capable of "just saying no".
Same here. If I eat more bread and sugar, I want more bread and sugar. I overcarbed while away this weekend, and right now I'm eating salmon with squash, cauliflower, broccoli, and collard greens.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM

277 posts, read 272,078 times
Very interesting article Ichoro. Thanks for the information.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:03 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,245,545 times
Preventing some of the cholesterol absorption

Soluble & Insoluble Carbohydrates | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

The Best Sources of Soluble Fiber | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Quote:
Soluble fiber dissolves in your small intestine and is absorbed into your bloodstream. Once in your blood, soluble fiber attaches to LDL, or bad, cholesterol and helps eliminate it from the body. A 2008 study published in “Annals of Family Medicine” examined the effect of barley, a primary source of soluble fiber, on blood lipids. The study found that the inclusion of barley in the participants’ diets significantly decreased total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. MayoClinic.com reports that soluble fiber also slows down the absorption of sugar in the small intestine, which helps steady blood sugar levels. This is particularly important for anyone with diabetes or at risk for developing the disease.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:19 PM

18,291 posts, read 23,418,375 times
Im on my 4th week of cutting carbs,,,cutting out sweets,,

and its not been that difficult,,,i eat fruit , and yogurt ,,

but I do eat high protein lots of meat ,,,leaner beef, pork and chicken
and ive lost the 15 lbs I wanted to lose for summer bathing suit pics

Old 07-05-2015, 06:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,267,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Im on my 4th week of cutting carbs,,,cutting out sweets,,

and its not been that difficult,,,i eat fruit , and yogurt ,,

but I do eat high protein lots of meat ,,,leaner beef, pork and chicken
and ive lost the 15 lbs I wanted to lose for summer bathing suit pics
Nitpicking here - yogurt and fruit both have carbs, and fruit in particular contains sugar (yogurt does too but you could be eating a low-sugar product, so I'm not assuming your yogurt has a lot of sugar in it).

Old 07-05-2015, 08:55 PM

32,310 posts, read 59,612,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Nitpicking here - yogurt and fruit both have carbs, and fruit in particular contains sugar (yogurt does too but you could be eating a low-sugar product, so I'm not assuming your yogurt has a lot of sugar in it).
I don't believe mainebrokerman's post said anything about eliminating carbs. Many people can still lose eating fruit and dairy products, even though they contain sugar.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,267,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't believe mainebrokerman's post said anything about eliminating carbs. Many people can still lose eating fruit and dairy products, even though they contain sugar.
Yes but when someone says they're "cutting out" sweets, it means they're eliminating sweets. It's reasonable to assume they mean things with sugar. Both yogurt and fruit contain sugar and carbs - with some fruits containing a LOT of sugar, which are, by definition, carbohydrates. Combining fruit AND yogurt is a two-punch of sugary carbs, which someone who is trying to "cut out" and "cut" should be cautious with.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 AM

32,310 posts, read 59,612,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes but when someone says they're "cutting out" sweets, it means they're eliminating sweets. It's reasonable to assume they mean things with sugar.
I wouldn't reasonably assume anything of the sort. Generally what is meant by cutting out sweets is reducing or eliminating added sugar. Plain yogurt and fruit have sugar, but no added sugar. "Things with sugar" also includes tomatoes, peppers, peas and other legumes, carrots and other root vegetables, eggs ...

Bottom line: For some people who do not do well going cold turkey - and for those whose intake includes an awful lot of added sugar - this is a good first step. I will applaud anyone who takes steps to drastically reduce or eliminate the added sugar in the diet.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM

55,632 posts, read 54,217,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't reasonably assume anything of the sort. Generally what is meant by cutting out sweets is reducing or eliminating added sugar. Plain yogurt and fruit have sugar, but no added sugar. "Things with sugar" also includes tomatoes, peppers, peas and other legumes, carrots and other root vegetables, eggs ...

Bottom line: For some people who do not do well going cold turkey - and for those whose intake includes an awful lot of added sugar - this is a good first step. I will applaud anyone who takes steps to drastically reduce or eliminate the added sugar in the diet.
Exactly. Since I'm not only driven by wanting to lose weight but also to get my blood sugar down, I've started reading labels for sugar content for the first time.

I never liked yogurt with the cooked/jellyish fruit in it, but I like vanilla and other flavors that don't have "stuff" in them and thought they were less sugary. Now I know how much added sugar is in all the yogurt, even vanilla. I had no idea. I only eat plain now and just add strawberries or blueberries and maybe a little cinnamon. I don't want to each too much of anything that has naturally-occurring sugars, either, but just checking the added sugar in foods has made a difference in what I consume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss