Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,160,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I dropped all solid foods 2x, for about 36 hrs each fast, this past wk & lost 6+lbs. It lowered BP to 108/67, & walking-around pulse rate to 59 beats, as well. I advise a fast if possible a few times/wk, if you can, as it really does lower set points w/ respect to cardio health (among other things, I assume).
There has been some interesting research done on fasting lately. One study found that in elderly women, it actually produced a 30% increase in memory. Most of the research I have seen points to the idea that fasting can actually help brain performance as well, even if total caloric intake is equal to a person who doesn't fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Although I am a newby to this dieting concept, I disagree with most of the comments I've read so far. The first thing is that not all calories and carbohydrates are created equal. That is they key to the entire losing weight premise. Eating a taco from Taco bell will give you 80 calories and 17g carbs. And who can eat just one of these? If you ate moderately, you would eat at least 5 of them. Bam, you just ingested 85g carbs (400 calories) - add soda (46g), fries (48g) and that will bring you to about 200g carbs - and this is not even a "big" meal.
In what world is five tacos, a soda and fries not a big meal? That is probably at least 1500 calories!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:24 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Although I am a newby to this dieting concept, I disagree with most of the comments I've read so far. The first thing is that not all calories and carbohydrates are created equal. That is they key to the entire losing weight premise. Eating a taco from Taco bell will give you 80 calories and 17g carbs. And who can eat just one of these? If you ate moderately, you would eat at least 5 of them. Bam, you just ingested 85g carbs (400 calories) - add soda (46g), fries (48g) and that will bring you to about 200g carbs - and this is not even a "big" meal.

This is why Americans are so large. We have no concept of proper portions. This IS a big meal. And I can eat just one taco.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,556,877 times
On Easter, my family went to Jimboy's to pick up food; I wasn't going to get anything, as I had eaten some chips and guac at my friend's house earlier. But then I decided to get a taco, ONE taco. I had some Spanish rice from my friend's house along with it. And I was good.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It seems like most people trying to lose weight (honestly, it seems like this is especially true for women) want to avoid carbs. Why? Multiple studies have shown that, calorie consumption being equal, low-carb diets are about equally as effective as low-fat and even low-protein diets at causing weight loss.

Or, better yet, a balanced diet works, too!

By leaving out carbs, it seems like one is missing a lot of healthy stuff like whole grains and fiber.
I've learned the reason why people *think* Carbs make you think is because they associate carbohydrates with fatty carbs like Cakes, cookies, Pasta in a cheese sauce or Potato Chips. Carbohydrates do make you loose weight but in the long term your health will get worse and you may even put on weight with all the fat.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
In what world is five tacos, a soda and fries not a big meal? That is probably at least 1500 calories!
Also, Taco Bell doesn't serve fries. It's a red herring post.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:36 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times
Question about bread and pasta.....I usually have some cheese and rye bread for breakfast, and also occasionally make a sausage and rye bread sandwich for dinner (more frequently use bread for breakfast). So I think maybe limited consumption is ok?

Not sure about pasta. I was using pasta...egg noodles.... as the starch to go along with some stews I was making over winter (usually I use potatos, so this was more for variety). Didn't seem quite as "heavy" as potatoes.

I think my big carb intake comes from fruits...grapefruit, apples, oranges, and pears. Also from bananas?, which I used with oatmeal or cheerios. I also eat a lot of berries with cereal...not sure if there are carbs in those, too?

Hmm...maybe I DO have too much carbs in my diet???. Don't want to give up the fruit & berries, though....

Old 04-07-2015, 05:52 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Question about bread and pasta.....I usually have some cheese and rye bread for breakfast, and also occasionally make a sausage and rye bread sandwich for dinner (more frequently use bread for breakfast). So I think maybe limited consumption is ok?

Not sure about pasta. I was using pasta...egg noodles.... as the starch to go along with some stews I was making over winter (usually I use potatos, so this was more for variety). Didn't seem quite as "heavy" as potatoes.

I think my big carb intake comes from fruits...grapefruit, apples, oranges, and pears. Also from bananas?, which I used with oatmeal or cheerios. I also eat a lot of berries with cereal...not sure if there are carbs in those, too?

Hmm...maybe I DO have too much carbs in my diet???. Don't want to give up the fruit & berries, though....
Berries are very healthy and so are the rest of the fruit you eat. Those are not the kind of carbs you need to worry about.
Cereal is not a very good choice. I would swap it out for oatmeal. Pasta and bread in moderation is fine. Try and eat organic whole grains when you can.
I think you will do much better if you just watch your caloric intake instead of worrying about carbs.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

How is your weight? There is no singular level of carbs that is right for all people.

There are carbs in all fruit and veggies. I find that I can't eat much fruit and lose weight. I get most of my carbs from veggies. I occasionally splurge on a few berries. Berries have fewer carbs than other fruits.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Berries are very healthy and so are the rest of the fruit you eat. Those are not the kind of carbs you need to worry about.
Cereal is not a very good choice. I would swap it out for oatmeal. Pasta and bread in moderation is fine. Try and eat organic whole grains when you can.
I think you will do much better if you just watch your caloric intake instead of worrying about carbs.
For me, oatmeal -is- cereal. I realize it's a whole grain, but so is shredded wheat. I always thought oatmeal is one type of cereal. Even if it isn't - I still think of oatmeal when I talk about cereal, unless I specify otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss