Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Mercola and another poster hardly rate as proof of your claim. I am more than willing to believe what you are saying but you have to do better than those sources. Look for something in the peer reviewed category from a site not trying to sell you something. And certainly not anecdotes from people that you know nothing about.

I eat mostly a plant based diet but I eat a lot of olive oil and avocados, flax seeds, and nuts and nut butters. I am not afraid of fat. Most people that know even just a little about diet know that fat is essential in ones diet.

I am a proponent of whatever works for you, you should do it. Slamming people that do not adhere to the low carb creed are not ignorant, nor brainwashed.
I see nothing wrong with trying to sell something, it doesn't automatically discredit them. Doctors don't work for free and yet maybe you still trust them? These are all evidence based studies, not talk out of someone's rear end. Most people that know a little about diet know that fat is essential? Yeah for sure, everybody is on that bandwagon. I guess that's why we have so many low-fat, non-fat and "light" products on the market? Go ahead, post your link. We'll see what kind of "proof" you can provide. I don't need you to try and contradict me at every turn. As I've said it before, it's NOT your job to try and censor me or anybody else. I know you try to bully and intimidate a lot of people here. I guarantee you that will not work with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:30 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It has been proven that cholesterol levels DO NOT have a direct correlation to heart disease.
Where is the research showing that?

Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Where is the research showing that?
Good luck with that.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with trying to sell something, it doesn't automatically discredit them. Doctors don't work for free and yet maybe you still trust them? These are all evidence based studies, not talk out of someone's rear end. Most people that know a little about diet know that fat is essential? Yeah for sure, everybody is on that bandwagon. I guess that's why we have so many low-fat, non-fat and "light" products on the market? Go ahead, post your link. We'll see what kind of "proof" you can provide. I don't need you to try and contradict me at every turn. As I've said it before, it's NOT your job to try and censor me or anybody else. I know you try to bully and intimidate a lot of people here. I guarantee you that will not work with me.
I am only contradicting the false information that you post. And when you say things like people who are not low carb are brainwashed, you are going to get called out on it.
If you have been paying attention I have never once said low carb is bad. In fact I have said on more than a few threads that for a lot of people it is a successful way to lose weight. You have a hair trigger on this subject.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am only contradicting the false information that you post. And when you say things like people who are not low carb are brainwashed, you are going to get called out on it.
If you have been paying attention I have never once said low carb is bad. In fact I have said on more than a few threads that for a lot of people it is a successful way to lose weight. You have a hair trigger on this subject.
I guess you weren't paying attention either because I never said anything about people not on low carb being brainwashed. There you go again. You keep putting words in my mouth. What I said (and meant) was that many automatically believe all dietary FAT is bad for you. That is the whole premise of the post. The only thing I said about carbs was that they caused gain weight (made you fat) and I think many here will agree.

Back on the subject of dietary FAT. The reason I think many people are brainwashed is because of the stigma that has existed since at least the 1950's. That is when cholesterol first became an "issue". It still persists to this day. I was not bashing anybody. I was brainwashed too until I slowly came to the realization that fat wasn't as bad as they made it out be.

Since you didn't actually read Mercola's article but immediately discredited it, I will post a portion here. It is not his "theory". These are FACTs.

Quote:
Debunking the Cholesterol "Science" and Unveiling the Truth
If high cholesterol and high-fat diets are really NOT the cause of heart disease, then how did this massive misinformation campaign start? It actually started more than 100 years ago when the Lipid Hypothesis or the Cholesterol Theory was developed by a German pathologist named Rudolph Virchow. After studying arterial plaques from corpses, he theorized that cholesterol in your blood led to the development of plaques in your arteries.

Meanwhile, in 1913 in St. Petersburg, Russia, Nikolaj Nikolajewitsch Anitschkow fed rabbits cholesterol and determined that it led to atherosclerotic changes (apparently no one questioned the fact that rabbits are herbivores and do not naturally consume cholesterol!). This started the notion that eating cholesterol leads to plaque deposits in your arteries, and at that time it was believed that all cholesterol in your blood was due to dietary sources.

This, of course, is not true, as it's now known that your liver makes about 75 percent of your body's cholesterol. That's right! Even if you didn't eat any cholesterol, you would still have cholesterol in your body, which is a good thing considering it's needed by every one of your cells to produce cell membranes.

Your diet is actually an afterthought when it comes to what your cholesterol levels will be, but this simple truth is largely ignored or unrealized even by many physicians.

In the early 1900s, the Cholesterol Theory was already taking root, but it received even more completely flawed support in the 1950s and subsequent years thereafter. The string of research that effectively solidified the cholesterol myth we know all too well today.
Dr. Ancel Keys was the one that really started the whole movement against cholesterol

Quote:
The Seven Countries' Study Incorrectly Links Dietary Fat to Heart Disease
Several decades ago, Dr. Ancel Keys published a seminal paper that serves as the basis for nearly all of the initial scientific support for the Cholesterol Theory. The study is known as the Seven Countries Study, that linked the consumption of dietary fat to coronary heart disease. What you may not know is that when Keys published his analysis that claimed to prove the link between dietary fats and coronary heart disease (CHD), he selectively analyzed information from only seven countries to prove his correlation, rather than comparing all the data available at the time -- from 22 countries.

As you might suspect, the studies he excluded were those that did not fit with his hypothesis, namely those that showed a low percentage fat in their diet and a high incidence of death from CHD as well as those with a high-fat diet and low incidence of CHD. If all 22 countries had been analyzed, there would have been no correlation found whatsoever; it should have been called the 22 Countries Study!

The nutrition community of that time completely accepted the hypothesis, and encouraged the public to cut out butter, red meat, animal fats, eggs, dairy and other "artery clogging" fats from their diets -- a radical change at that time that is still very much in force today.

Most of the experts I know believe that Dr. Keys' research was pivotal for perpetuating the low-fat approach to health. This is a major part of the solid science you will need to know if anyone seeks to disagree with you when you share this information; this study is really the foundation that triggered the massive emphasis on low-fat diets and the flawed belief that cholesterol is so pernicious.
If you don't believe me about Dr. Ancel Keys, google it.

More about Flawed "Proof" here, I can't post it all here. You have to actually read the page if interested starting with the previous link I posted about Cholesterol Myths.
The Cholesterol Myths that May be Harming Your Health

Mercola just wrote a book and naturally he want's to sell it. He's entitled to make a living. He is a doctor if that means anything but it's not his theories, it's just a collection of verifiable studies. You can call me out all you want on it. It's not false information, if you think so then prove me wrong, don't just say it's false.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
I know the thread is called 'Why the fear of carbs'. I say, don't fear fat. Fat is not the enemy. Non or Low fat products are the worst such as the yogurt mentioned. Try reading the label on the non-fat yogurt to see what I mean. Manufacturers substitute sugar for fat in these products. I've said this several times, Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do or should I say Fat doesn't make you fat in the absence of carbs. It's the context that matters. I know it's counter-intuitive to what most of you believe and the brain wash is deep and hard to shake but that is the way it is. There are hormones at play here. Fat's don't make you fat just like eating tomatoes doesn't make you turn red. Just don't overdue it. Like anything else, too much of anything is bad. You should consume Omega-6 and Omega-3 on a 4 to 1 ratio. For every four grams of Omega-6 you should eat one gram of Omega-3. Example, a salad topped with cheese with and avocado and/or EVOO based dressing. Nuts are also good for this. Some pecans or almonds are ideal. A 1 to 1 ratio is even better but harder to do. This will help keep your lipids in check.

The Bulletproof Guide to Omega 3 Vs. Omega 6 Fats
I eat PLAIN non fat yogurt so there's no need for sweeteners and no flavors are in the yogurt I eat. Just to point that out. There are no artificial sweeteners in the plain non fat yogurt that I buy. There are two ingredients - non fat milk and yogurt enzymes. Period.

For the record, and to clarify for others as well, I do not recommend flavored yogurts unless you flavor them yourself with fruit or honey or something from your own cupboard.

And I do eat healthy fats within reason, which is limited but I'm not afraid of them. They are healthier than many carbs in moderation, in my opinion.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I eat PLAIN non fat yogurt so there's no need for sweeteners and no flavors are in the yogurt I eat. Just to point that out. There are no artificial sweeteners in the plain non fat yogurt that I buy. There are two ingredients - non fat milk and yogurt enzymes. Period.

For the record, and to clarify for others as well, I do not recommend flavored yogurts unless you flavor them yourself with fruit or honey or something from your own cupboard.

And I do eat healthy fats within reason, which is limited but I'm not afraid of them. They are healthier than many carbs in moderation, in my opinion.
Check the number of carbs on the label. Regardless if there is no need for sweeteners, there is something in there that increases the carbs. maybe starch of some type. Check the ingredients. I do whole milk Greek, not in excess but a moderate amount. I make a desert with this type Yogurt, strawberries, flax meal and pure stevia. I also don' go overboard on the yogurt. You see, when they take out the fat they have to make up for it with other flavors and fillers.

It varies from brand to brand so it's best to read the label.

Typical Carb Counts for Plain Yogurt
A 6-ounce serving of plain yogurt contains these typical carb counts:

Whole milk Greek yogurt: 7 grams of carbohydrate
Whole milk yogurt: 8 grams of carbohydrate.
Low-fat yogurt: 12 grams of carbohydrate
Nonfat or skim milk yogurt: 13 grams of carbohydrate

more here
https://www.verywellfit.com/eating-y...b-diet-2242531

Nutrition Facts
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...in-nonfat-milk

Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I don't think either carbs or fats are healthier than the other. They both have their place. I get that you have wheat issues. But whole grains, legumes, and other nutritious carb sources can round out a healthy diet for non-sensitive people.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:18 PM

48,514 posts, read 34,800,001 times
My plain no fat yogurt has 9 carbs per cup.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Check the number of carbs on the label. Regardless if there is no need for sweeteners, there is something in there that increases the carbs. maybe starch of some type. Check the ingredients. I do whole milk Greek, not in excess but a moderate amount. I make a desert with this type Yogurt, strawberries, flax meal and pure stevia. I also don' go overboard on the yogurt. You see, when they take out the fat they have to make up for it with other flavors and fillers.

It varies from brand to brand so it's best to read the label.

Typical Carb Counts for Plain Yogurt
A 6-ounce serving of plain yogurt contains these typical carb counts:

Whole milk Greek yogurt: 7 grams of carbohydrate
Whole milk yogurt: 8 grams of carbohydrate.
Low-fat yogurt: 12 grams of carbohydrate
Nonfat or skim milk yogurt: 13 grams of carbohydrate

more here
https://www.verywellfit.com/eating-y...b-diet-2242531

Nutrition Facts
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...in-nonfat-milk

You aren’t comparing apples to apples. Plain greek at any fat level has the same amount of carbs. Straining the yogurt for greek style concentrates the protein. Some crappy brands of greek yougurts add thickeners. And some non-greek styles have thickeners.

If you compare Fage, you’ll see the nutritional contents are similar across all versions.

https://usa.fage/yogurts/fage-total-plain#fage-total-0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss