U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:14 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,413,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is true for the most part, but eliminating all wheat is a much easier way to lose weight for many people. Whole fresh ingredient foods without "whole grains" is ideal.
I do not buy it. I need whole grains. I experimented getting rid of them for 3 months. I did not feel better, my workouts were **** poor comparatively and I did not lose any weight because of it.
My body runs optimally when I include whole grains in my diet.
Whole grains are not the enemy for most of the population. People need to find what works for them and not listen to all the noise from everyone else as to what to eat or not to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:52 AM

3,855 posts, read 6,856,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm not a fan of "just eliminate this one food group" type of thinking.
But sugar is not a food group. Neither is processed foods (not in the traditional sense, anyway). They should be eliminated as much as possible!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 PM

3,161 posts, read 8,082,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I do not buy it. I need whole grains. I experimented getting rid of them for 3 months. I did not feel better, my workouts were **** poor comparatively and I did not lose any weight because of it.
Whole grains are not the enemy for most of the population. People need to find what works for them and not listen to all the noise from everyone else as to what to eat or not to eat.
I agree. I eat whole grains, lost 30 pounds doing so and have kept the weight off for 4 years and counting. I wish we could all accept the fact that most people don't need to demonize entire food groups. Some people are more sensitive to starchy grains than others and do better without them. If you identify as one of those people, then it's great you figured out what works for you. Just don't push your anti-grain agenda on me! I feel better eating them and as noted, have lost weight and kept it off doing so.

To answer the OP's question, what has helped me keep the weight off:

1. After I lost the weight, I didn't go back to my old ways because I was "done dieting." It is a lifelong process and I have adjusted the way I eat forever (which for me is mostly about portion control).

2. I weigh myself once every week or two. I will notice if the weight starts creeping up and dial back my eating to make sure I stay within my comfort zone. You will notice if an extra 5 pounds creeps on and you can adjust accordingly. Generally my weight is really even so I have slacked off doing this recently, but I am well aware of how my pants fit me. If they start to get tight, I will reassess what I am eating!

3. I eat healthfully and mindfully at least 80% of the time. This allows me to enjoy a dinner out, a special event, vacation, etc. without worrying about calories. If I eat a big dinner out one night with drinks, dessert, etc. I reign it in the next day and go back to my standard mindful eating.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:20 PM

20,795 posts, read 35,862,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
So, you have not read "Grain Brain" or "Wheat Belly" books then? That is Ok. I find out I need to workout far less because I consume less food overall due to the fact that I do not get hungry frequently and have small meals throughout the day. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and it correlates to consistent snacking and grazing for a certain percentage of the population. I understand it might not be the best approach to take for everyone, but it certainly enhances my quality of life and overall functioning to not be thinking about food frequently, not be hungry 6 hours after eating, and not worrying about weight or carbohydrates.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,413,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
So, you have not read "Grain Brain" or "Wheat Belly" books then? That is Ok. I find out I need to workout far less because I consume less food overall due to the fact that I do not get hungry frequently and have small meals throughout the day. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and it correlates to consistent snacking and grazing for a certain percentage of the population. I understand it might not be the best approach to take for everyone, but it certainly enhances my quality of life and overall functioning to not be thinking about food frequently, not be hungry 6 hours after eating, and not worrying about weight or carbohydrates.
Actually I did read Wheat Belly and a couple of other 'grains are bad' books and publications. As I said, I tried it and it does not work for me. You have apparently drunk the Koolaid. Good for you.

What you should probably try and wrap your brain around that people are different. What works for some may not work for others. Eliminating food groups is a recipe for failure at some point. I would rather eat a variety of whole, fresh foods. That is what works for ME. I just had a whole physical work up done and my doctor actually said she envied all my numbers. She said whatever I was doing to keep doing it because it is obviously working and she wished more people were so conscience about their heath. So I will have my PB & J on some organic, locally grown sprouted wheat bread and I will feel great about it.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 PM

5,641 posts, read 2,849,765 times
Quote:
Eliminating food groups is a recipe for failure at some point.
I keep hearing this this. How is that? That makes no sense at all. One eliminates a food group and that's it, done. And as photobuff42 points out, sugar is not a food group. Nor is processed 'food'. What is not so sustainable is constantly having to count your calories - every day for the rest of your life. I did not go on a specific weight reduction diet. I simply changed my eating lifestyle. I believe that answers the OP's question - how to keep weight off.

I too have heard about 'grains being bad'. Grain does not make me feel great nor does it give me boundless energy. It makes me feel sluggish. But how does one make sandwiches without grain? Heck, even beer is made from grain (probably the only proper use for grain ). Because I eat so much bread I have compensated by eliminating potato and rice for dinner. The important thing is I can have meat and salad for dinner and not go to bed feeling hungry. In fact, I feel invigorated and satisfied. Whole grains are relatively wholesome (in moderation).

The way I see it we have two choices, we can count our calories and weigh ourselves regularly to keep ourselves in check or we can change our lifestyle diets and never worry about it again. A lifestyle diet that can reduce my weight by 35 lbs in a few months will most certainly prevent any future unwanted weight gain. To suggest otherwise would make no sense. I now weigh what I did in my early twenties. Could that same diet cause me or anyone else to gain weight?

The secret to controlling one's appetite and food consumption is the elimination of sugar and refined carbs from one's diet. And any other form of junk food.

Cooking methods are important too. Never boil anything unless you want to remove toxins from it, like dried beans or taro. Taro causes kidney stones if not properly boiled. Think of what else is being removed by boiling.

For those that feel that missing out on treats like dessert and cake and such is a loss and a burden. No it is not if you change your lifestyle diet. It's not easy at first. It's like any other addiction - your body and mind craves it! Your hands shake and you can't sleep. But there are simple ways to get through. Like eating a raw carrot or and orange.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that fats are fattening. Fats are satiating so you feel satisfied for longer. I'm not suggesting saturated animal fats, just wholesome vegetable fats in moderation. Like salad dressing. Mayonnaise is great too provided it is sugar free. Meats are satiating too and I'm hearing it said that one should get a fair proportion of calories from protein.

Last edited by 303Guy; 03-16-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:22 PM

Have a look at the thread; "Why the Fear of Carbs?" page 3 from the top. I think that will explain the carbs and sugar issue.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 AM

20,795 posts, read 35,862,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I
I too have heard about 'grains being bad'. Grain does not make me feel great nor does it give me boundless energy. It makes me feel sluggish. But how does one make sandwiches without grain? Heck, even beer is made from grain (probably the only proper use for grain ). Because I eat so much bread I have compensated by eliminating potato and rice for dinner. The important thing is I can have meat and salad for dinner and not go to bed feeling hungry. In fact, I feel invigorated and satisfied. Whole grains are relatively wholesome (in moderation).
Most people can easily go without consuming grain (wheat) and will have zero impact on their food energy needs. Other sources offer plentiful levels of nutrients and minerals. I don't ever make sandwiches since going gluten free 100% of the time over 6 years ago. I generally use GMO free corn wraps if I am craving something similar to a sandwich. If I am out and need fast food, Chipotle chain offers some items I can have as well. I do not consume any beers if they are not gluten free. Beers are comprised of barley malt flour. Other liquors and wines are completely fine. I would say going 100% gluten free improves mental clarity and functioning overall. I no longer contend with "brain fog," lack of energy, constant need for snacking after meals, joint pain, etc.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I would say going 100% gluten free improves mental clarity and functioning overall. I no longer contend with "brain fog," lack of energy, constant need for snacking after meals, joint pain, etc.
Very interesting. I would like to/need to know more about this. I have brain fog and joint/muscle pain and often weakness. Is it the gluten free or the associated grain free that makes the difference? I make my own whole wheat bread with no added sugar but a heap of gluten flour is required. I'm not creative enough to 'discover' an alternative for sandwiches (read; I don't have the energy! - See the catch?)

Old 03-20-2015, 08:09 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,308,846 times
Wow, I don't ever have brain fog, I have lots of energy, my joint pain is the direct result of traumatic joint injury and has nothing to do with diet, and I rarely feel any "need" to snack. And yet - I eat plenty of grains every day - oatmeal for breakfast, bread either at lunch or supper every day, rice a few times every week, croutons on my salad, and yes - when I'm in the mood for a snack, it's often crackers.

I maintained a 20-pound weight loss, but also lost some of the muscletone I had built up, over the past three years. So now my body fat is higher even though I don't weigh more. The gym moved to another town, so it's been a struggle to get in as I used to. There's a new gym near my house, and I'll be checking prices and options once my old gym's paid-in-full yearly membership is up for renewal in two months. Then, I'll be better able to devote effort to strength training, and maybe even pick up a "boot camp" class like I did when my old gym was in its old location.

Point being though - my successes, and my failures, didn't have to do so much with the fact that I ate carbs. It was more that I overate, period. I ate too much of everything I was eating.

Unless you have a medical reason to avoid carbs, there's no reason to avoid carbs. Avoiding carbs won't make you lose weight if you are overeating fats and proteins. It's the "over" part of overeating that puts on the pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or