Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree about the over eating but for many people carbs drive over eating. I also over ate everything, not just carbs. However, the carbs drove hunger, which caused me to continue eating. Cutting down on carbs just makes it easier for me to control my appetite.

I did have brain fog and lacked energy before I cut carbs out of my diet. I went from a size 22W to a regular 16 without cravings and extreme hunger. I am still very overweight and I need to follow a way of eating that allows me to stay satisfied long enough to lose the additional 50 lb I need to lose.

I think that there is more than one way to lose weight. If a person tries low fat and it doesn't work, why not try low carb (and vice versa)? I think that people are overweight for different reasons and it only make sense to try different approaches until you hit one that works for you. Ultimately, you need to control calories to lose weight. However, there is more than one way to do that and low carb is one way that works for many.
There's where we disagree (and where science disagrees with you).

Yes, carbs can drive hunger. But hunger doesn't cause people to overeat. Hunger causes people to WANT to eat. People CHOOSE to either give in to that feeling, adjust how they got to that feeling, or ignore that feeling.

I get hungry after eating chinese food, like many people. I *choose* not to eat, when I notice I'm feeling so hungry, so soon after I'd already eaten. I make that decision because I'm a big girl who wears big girl pants now, and I'm responsible for the things I shovel into my mouth.

And when I *choose* to eat a half pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting, I"m doing so knowing full well that I have no need to do it, that I could be eating radishes and carrots instead, but that I *want* ice cream and so I'm eating it. I also know that when I make this choice, I am risking a weight gain and sluggish feeling for the next couple of hours. This is also part of being a big girl, wearing big girl pants, and taking responsibility for the things I shovel into my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Hunger causes people to WANT to eat. People CHOOSE to either give in to that feeling, adjust how they got to that feeling, or ignore that feeling.
That is quite true. However, one can train one's brain to enjoy a different set of foods that do not cause one to want to eat more. One can break that sugar addiction that drives the hunger and appetite. Cut down on carbs and eat healthy and the appetite diminishes. There is no eternal battle to control one's eating. It just comes naturally. It does take vigilance and that brings us back to your statement above. It's what we CHOOSE to do. I chose to cut out sugar and unhealthy 'foods' and to rewire my brain. That was easier for me than for most I would expect as I have taken care of my health for as long as I could reason. I "believed" in my health. My sugar intake was never all that high and was not my staple diet. I seldom ate refined grains but now I never eat them.

Rewire Your Brain | Men's Health

Old 03-27-2015, 06:36 AM

That's all well and good 303Guy, but other than 20 pounds I'd like to lose, and muscle I'd like to gain, I have no "need" to try and cut down on any specific type of food. My glucose levels are fine, my organs are fine, my CBCs are fine, skin hair nails - all fine. I am physically active, though I should go to the gym more often.

There's no reason for me to eliminate *any* food group that I enjoy. I *like* bread. I *like* certain sugary substances. I don't buy Wurther's Originals, because I know I can't eat just two or three. If I have a dozen, they'll be gone in an hour. They are my potato chips. I can put a bag of chips down after a few chips, unlike many people who just can't do that. Everyone has their weakness. It's not even sugar for me - because I can eat only half a scoop of ice cream today and save the other half for tomorrow (In fact, I have half a scoop in the freezer from yesterday).

I don't want to rewire my brain, and I don't need to rewire my brain. I can't think of anything more uninteresting than training myself to enjoy avocado and eggplant, brussels sprouts and boiled cabbage. I have no interest in EVER finding out whether or not I can learn to replace my Wurther's obsession with blueberries.

Easier to just save the Wurther's for that once or twice a year when they're on sale AND I have a coupon AND I get my employee discount, and enjoy every sweet delectable morself of them until the bag's gone, and then not buy any more for another 6-12 months.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That is quite true. However, one can train one's brain to enjoy a different set of foods that do not cause one to want to eat more. One can break that sugar addiction that drives the hunger and appetite. Cut down on carbs and eat healthy and the appetite diminishes. There is no eternal battle to control one's eating. It just comes naturally. It does take vigilance and that brings us back to your statement above. It's what we CHOOSE to do. I chose to cut out sugar and unhealthy 'foods' and to rewire my brain. That was easier for me than for most I would expect as I have taken care of my health for as long as I could reason. I "believed" in my health. My sugar intake was never all that high and was not my staple diet. I seldom ate refined grains but now I never eat them.

Rewire Your Brain | Men's Health
And this type of thinking keeps people obese because it is very rare for people to omit certain types of food for the long haul, or even the short one.

There is no 'one diet fits all'. What works for one person may not work for another. I do agree the brain is the most important part of the losing weight equation. People need to be ready to lose weight before they can make any kind of diet commitment. And this is simply the hardest part.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
... and boiled cabbage ...
NO no no! Never boil anything! Besides, why would anyone want to boil or even cook a delicious coleslaw ingredient? You may have gathered that I like my raw salads.

Quote:
There is no 'one diet fits all'. What works for one person may not work for another.
That is not quite true. There is most certainly a diet style that will bring about excess weight loss for anyone and everyone. However, it is true that the fact of having to change one's eating habits and attitude toward food keeps many people from being able to lose excess weight. It is indeed all to do with attitude. I should just mention that by 'diet' I do not mean a 'diet plan', I mean a diet lifestyle.

Quote:
I agree about the over eating but for many people carbs drive over eating. I also over ate everything, not just carbs. However, the carbs drove hunger, which caused me to continue eating. Cutting down on carbs just makes it easier for me to control my appetite.
Actually, science does support this.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Yes. If you are eating too much carbs, then you will suffer the consequences. If you are eating too much carbs, then reducing your carb intake will have positive results.

Too much of ANYTHING is too much. There's no need to go to extremes if you're trying to lose weight. If you know your weakness is Lays' Classic potato chips, then eliminate Lays' Classic potato chips. You don't need to eliminate anything and everything made with potatoes.

If your weakness is Wurther's Originals, then lay off the Wurther's. There's no need to eliminate every bit of sugar. Even diabetics have to get -some- sugar in their diet. They just have to have theirs more strictly controlled.

If your weakness is a freshly-baked french batard with sweet butter, then avoid the freshly-baked french batards with sweet butter combo. There's no need to swear off all wheat products.

If you're a sucker for any and every kind of bread, and can't eat just one piece and end up eating a whole loaf and aching for more - then stop eating bread. You don't have to throw out the pasta in the cupboard. I'd question anyone who claims that they eat an entire loaf of bread in one sitting and doesn't know darned well that their problem needs the attention of a therapist, not a diet book.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
If you know your weakness is Lays' Classic potato chips, then eliminate Lays' Classic potato chips.
Yup. My weakness was chocolate.

Quote:
There's no need to eliminate every bit of sugar.
Indeed. But, it sure helps to eliminate every bit of refined (and added sugar). Losing weight and keeping it off will become that much easier to achieve, especially keeping it off. A healthy diet still has sugars in it but sugars are not needed by a healthy body.

What I'm saying is that it helps with maintaining and indeed, losing weight. Cutting out refined sugar is eliminating a hurdle for some if not many people (maybe even most).

Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Yup. My weakness was chocolate.

Indeed. But, it sure helps to eliminate every bit of refined (and added sugar). Losing weight and keeping it off will become that much easier to achieve, especially keeping it off. A healthy diet still has sugars in it but sugars are not needed by a healthy body.

What I'm saying is that it helps with maintaining and indeed, losing weight. Cutting out refined sugar is eliminating a hurdle for some if not many people (maybe even most).
What I'm saying is - cutting out on anything you OVEReat - will help you lose weight. You don't need to eliminate the entire food group just because you overeat one part of it.

So if you overeat chocolate - don't eat chocolate. But don't feel that you have to reject strawberry cheesecake or vanilla ice cream. Neither of those are chocolate, neither of them are your "trigger" foods. The cake and the ice cream are things you *can* have in moderation, because neither of them are chocolate.

Just like the potato chip example - if the weakness is chips, then cut out the chips. But you don't have to reject a baked potato. Because - it isn't chips, it's not your trigger food into overeating. It's not likely you'll have trouble stopping at one baked potato.

If you have problems with eating too much ice cream, then don't buy ice cream. But you can still eat a piece of chocolate, if you don't have a chocolate "thing."

Just avoid the specific types of things you know you overeat. And don't worry so much about the types of things you don't overeat. OVEREATING causes weight gain. Not eating.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 5,113 times
Have a look at the thread; "Why the Fear of Carbs?" page 3 from the top. I think that will explain the carbs and sugar issue.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's where we disagree (and where science disagrees with you).

Yes, carbs can drive hunger. But hunger doesn't cause people to overeat. Hunger causes people to WANT to eat. People CHOOSE to either give in to that feeling, adjust how they got to that feeling, or ignore that feeling.

I get hungry after eating chinese food, like many people. I *choose* not to eat, when I notice I'm feeling so hungry, so soon after I'd already eaten. I make that decision because I'm a big girl who wears big girl pants now, and I'm responsible for the things I shovel into my mouth.

And when I *choose* to eat a half pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting, I"m doing so knowing full well that I have no need to do it, that I could be eating radishes and carrots instead, but that I *want* ice cream and so I'm eating it. I also know that when I make this choice, I am risking a weight gain and sluggish feeling for the next couple of hours. This is also part of being a big girl, wearing big girl pants, and taking responsibility for the things I shovel into my mouth.
I know you are right about hunger causing people to want to over eat but the truth is that the vast vast vast majority of people cannot simply ignore hunger. It makes sense to eat foods that avoid the feeling of being hungry.

I am not sure why you think that is it not scientifically true that carbs make you hungry. I found a number of scientific articles that support carbs increasing hunger compared to proteins and fats. The hormones leptin and grhelin are related to insulin levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss