U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 PM

5,637 posts, read 2,843,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And about the Massai, I'm sorry that I'm not sorry. Raw milk, raw meat, and raw blood and maybe some fruits and veggies is not in my near future (maybe if a zombie apocalypse came and I've become dependent on animals because we can't farm anymore.)
Don't be sorry. No, I wasn't suggesting anyone adopt their diet. Just pointing out that a low calorie diet might be just fine if not beneficial.

My suggestion on the cashews as a substitute for nuts is based on the fats content of the nuts should you be considering reducing your fat intake. Rather just include them in your diet for their nutritional value. They are actually related to pistachios (which I only found out a few weeks ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:43 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,876,262 times
Doctors are not the relevant experts here, dietitians are. Doctors have minimal nutrition training in medical school, and while many of them are knowledgeable about nutrition, that is often independent of their actual medical credentials.

Bottom line on losing weight is that your calories in need to be fewer than your calories out.

The fat difference between cashews and nuts is minimal; one ounce of almonds has 14g of fat, and one ounce of cashews has 12g of fat.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,175 times
Wittgeinstein, I wish it was that simple. But, it's not always the case.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontysaurus View Post
Wittgeinstein, I wish it was that simple. But, it's not always the case.
It is the case 95%+ of the time, and the consensus among experts is that calories in/out is the greatest predictor of weight loss. The problem is that many people do not assess their caloric needs correctly and do not properly add up how many calories they are consuming.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:27 PM

301 posts, read 1,503,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontysaurus View Post
nikitakolata, I did my research about any deficiency I may have due to being a vegetarian, and I bought vitamins for them, including B12. I understand my body may not be absorbing enough though.

Newbie09, Thank you for understanding! I don't find many in my situation. Yes, it is very frustrating! I am in my 20's and I also did research on how many calories my body should be taking in and despite my age, it also was 1200-1500. However, many of you have been saying just that...to up my calorie intake and I'll try to up it to 1500-1700. I guess I can keep searching for a doctor who has had experience with this before. Thank you again :]

303guy, I consume pistachios, walnuts, and brazil nuts (when I can find them.) Also, almonds (although not a nut.) Do you really think it would make a change if I just consumed cashews instead of these? And no, I drink my coffee black and my tea plain, no sugar in either. I'll try and cut down on my fruit for sugar intake. When I stated I do a macro diet, I meant that I do focus and limit my carb, fat, and protein intake, even though protein is hardest to reach. And about the Massai, I'm sorry that I'm not sorry. Raw milk, raw meat, and raw blood and maybe some fruits and veggies is not in my near future (maybe if a zombie apocalypse came and I've become dependent on animals because we can't farm anymore.) I'm sure this is the healthiest of diets but times have changed for westerners. I'm actually afraid that me being a vegetarian is the culprit.

aneye4detail, Haha, thanks for the laugh. It sounds very appealing. I can just picture doing it in caveman terms.

Photobuff42, I bought vegan protein shakes so I can up my protein intake. I eat eggs in the morning, consume nuts, plenty of veggies, legumes, and chia seeds with my kombucha. I take in as much protein as I can. I do, however, steer away from edemame, tofu, and soybeans of any kind. I've read about soy and the estrogen levels it may contain and what negative effects it has on the body especially if you're trying to lose weight. It may also be bad for my thyroid, so that's a total no-go. I make most of my food at home so my salt intake isn't a problem. Also, because I do avoid processed foods to the best of my ability, I don't eat sodium-infused meals. I season with very little Himalayan salt, herbs, and spices. I'm looking back at myfitnesspal for the last week and only one day did I go over for salt intake. You say you eat very little prepackaged, processed foods, but that "very little" may be killing it for you. See what you're eating because anything that has to be preserved may have a surprising amount of salt in it. What else do you eat on average?
Moontysaurus, sounds like you're well informed & you've got a handle on things. Just keep trying & don't give up.

I don't think weight loss is "simple" even if the basic equation of "calories in/calories out w/ a caloric deficit needed to lose pounds" seems simple. There's no universal consensus on the best way to achieve that caloric deficit, there's many different theories about this, many different methods. So maybe it's just trial & effort-- we need to just keep trying to find the best healthy weight loss method that works for us as individuals.

OP, I spent all my childhood & teenage years being overweight-- in my teens, at just 5'2" I was above 190lbs most of the time. If I lost some weight briefly, I'd usually gain it all back twice as fast. So I've struggled with losing weight (and keeping it off) my whole life. It has NEVER seemed easy or uncomplicated! But I kept trying so at times in the past I was able to reach a heathy weight & stay there for a few years. And now at least I don't have that many pounds to lose, just 20 pounds to get to my goal weight of 130 lbs.

But sometimes it seems so unfair!! If I was taller and/or younger and/or a male w/ a naturally higher percentage of muscle compared to females instead of a short older female, I'd naturally burn more calories per day & be able to eat more while losing weight! Seems like weight loss would be so much easier!!

Hey, after that tantrum, here's what I have to say: We each have to deal with our own Realities. I've got to deal with of being short at just 5'2", older in my 50s & a female, also deal w/ my bad start as a fat kid/fat teenager growing up in a family that had very bad eating habits (stuffing ourselves w/ rich, high-fat foods at each meal), plus my history of losing weight VERY slowly compared to most people (and then usually gaining it back very quickly.)

Yes, it seems unfair that I can make so much effort & it takes so long to lose just one pound. Yes, it seems unfair to me that most males, with their naturally higher percentage of muscle & naturally lower percentage of body fat (ooh, that frustrating female tendency to hold on to body fat in preparation for supposed future pregnancy/childbirth!) seem to have it so much easier with losing weight & seem to lose it so quickly compared to most females!

But you and I can't let past history or perceived disadvantages stop us from trying, we have to try one method and stick with it... but then try another method if the first one doesn't work. We have to practice patience. And maybe we have to recognize the good we're doing our bodies just by exercising, staying active & eating healthy, even if weight loss remains slow & elusive....

Moontysaurus, it has helped me writing this, it's helped to motivate me to keep going despite daily frustrations.... hope this has helped you as well.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
I don't think weight loss is "simple" even if the basic equation of "calories in/calories out w/ a caloric deficit needed to lose pounds" seems simple. There's no universal consensus on the best way to achieve that caloric deficit, there's many different theories about this, many different methods. So maybe it's just trial & effort-- we need to just keep trying to find the best healthy weight loss method that works for us as individuals.
Bingo!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
The fat difference between cashews and nuts is minimal; one ounce of almonds has 14g of fat, and one ounce of cashews has 12g of fat.
Interesting. That would depend on which nuts I suppose. Some nuts are very oily. Anyway, cashews are great to snack on. I can eat three handfuls at a sitting and feel fine. Try that with almonds for example. But point taken.

Quote:
The problem is that many people do not assess their caloric needs correctly and do not properly add up how many calories they are consuming.
I would suspect this is a case of hitting the nail on the head. Well said. How exactly does one measure their calorific intake and worse yet, measure their calorific requirements?

Old 03-20-2015, 04:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,260,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Interesting. That would depend on which nuts I suppose. Some nuts are very oily. Anyway, cashews are great to snack on. I can eat three handfuls at a sitting and feel fine. Try that with almonds for example. But point taken.

I would suspect this is a case of hitting the nail on the head. Well said. How exactly does one measure their calorific intake and worse yet, measure their calorific requirements?
You can measure food, you can buy pre-measured food, and in the case of foods like bananas, which weigh X with the peel on at the supermarket and Y when you take the peel off, you can ballpark it and compare with the myriad of online resources. Nutritiondata, Livestrong, Fitnesspal, there's a bunch of websites that have lists of thousands of food items in thousands of measurements. You can even plug in "calories in medium banana" on a google search if you want to do each food item individually.

Obviously premeasured food will be easiest - just read the nutritional data chart on the back, and be extra mindful of the "servings per container" on the top of the list.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:42 PM

272 posts, read 238,968 times
How many fruit and vegetables are you eating daily? Are you eating anything along with the nuts (and other proteins)? Cucumbers are a great addition to go along with your nut snacks... in fact, I've found that eating at least one raw fruit or veggie with each meal is helpful.

Protein, fat & fiber at every meal to keep your blood sugar stable? this can help with cravings as well as metabolism.

I've always best managed to maintain a healthy weight when I exercise in the morning at least a few times a week... that's in addition to regular walking, hiking and swimming.

Good luck... don't give up! :-)

Old 03-20-2015, 11:39 PM

Well stated, go09.

Quote:
Good luck... don't give up! :-)
From me too!

I've just been talking with my niece and her husband whom I've finally convinced to cut out sugar as the 'bad guy'. They've done it and are now promoting it. The difficulty she was having was drinking tea without sugar. This after a lifetime (40 years or so). They now keep bees and use honey in place of sugar (that's still sugar I'm thinking) and that has worked for them. She says now she doesn't need sugar or honey in her tea! They both report that their appetites are smaller and that their young kids now don't pig out on cakes and stuff (it was a kids birthday party). A disclaimer - not all honey's are equal. This was home grown honey. No processing. My suggestion is to buy your honey from farm stalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or