U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:07 PM

272 posts, read 239,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyness View Post
Any suggestions guys? What do you think of no-rice diet? Too busy to exercise.
So... is rice something you normally eat one or more times daily? Otherwise, I wouldn't see how it could make any difference.

Rice, like most grains, is high in carbohydrates. Lowering those types of foods can help but to keep the weight off as well as good health, you may need to develop a more balanced diet. Fruit and veggies. Don't just drop rice or any one food... rather, add in what your body needs. And move. Are you too busy for even 20 minutes a day of walking, swimming, dancing, etc? It's not healthy to just sit, or even stand, all day... our bodies were meant to move and work better when they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 AM

31,759 posts, read 36,438,906 times
Read "The 10 Day Detox Diet" book. You can get it on Amazon.

It's a program you'll want to stick with.

The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast: Mark Hyman: 8601401254737: Amazon.com: Books

Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,402,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Just another book to exploit people and make money.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 AM

31,759 posts, read 36,438,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Just another book to exploit people and make money.
Don't all books / sales do pretty much this ? It's called doing Business and making money. I'll bet you've not even reviewed before you got critical.

What do you think the goal of City Data is ?

The book is good reading, logical and a great way to lose 10 lbs in a month. I've lost 13 and going to stay with the plan.
I guess eliminating sugars and eating healthy is not logical to some people.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:26 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,402,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Don't all books / sales do pretty much this ? It's called doing Business and making money. I'll bet you've not even reviewed before you got critical.

What do you think the goal of City Data is ?

The book is good reading, logical and a great way to lose 10 lbs in a month. I've lost 13 and going to stay with the plan.
I guess eliminating sugars and eating healthy is not logical to some people.
I eat healthy but I do not make myself adhere to strict rules regarding my diet.
Congrats on the 13 pound loss, that is something to be proud of. Hopefully you will continue to lose and then maintain your weight for the long haul.

The goal at City Data is to use the board to share opinions about diet and weight loss. IMO these types of diets never work in the long run. 'Detoxing' is a marketing term and has no really basis in real life unless you happen to be detoxing off of drugs/alcohol. In the dieting world its used as a gimmick. There are so many books with the same plan only tweaked a bit to seem different.
Common sense tells us to eat whole, fresh foods, lots of veggies, lean proteins, good fats, and whole grains like quinoa and oatmeal. Limit sugar and avoid prepackaged foods. And of course watch calorie consumption.
I guess I should write a book.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,532,061 times
I agree. All these books are common sense principles where people want to see them in black and white and not figure it out themselves. Believe me, I have bought so many books over the years and now at 47, I'm finally like, LIGHT BULB!!! Just eat better foods, less of them and move more! Duhhhh!!!!

Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 AM

11 posts, read 6,774 times
If you want to lose 10lbs in a month, then get a program that will best suit you. Exercises should work on the parts of your body. Be flexible and perform a variety of exercises.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM

419 posts, read 1,041,451 times

You can find research to support a bunch of different claims for just about anything. The bottom line is if you lose weight too quickly what you are actually doing is losing the very thing you need in order to burn calories and keep the weight off, which is lean muscle mass. Diets do not work long term, ever. The only way (weigh?) you keep weight off long term is by completely changing your lifestyle, forever!

Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 PM

13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
You can find research to support a bunch of different claims for just about anything.
Not necessarily, and even if you do find conflicting studies, you simply have to dig deeper and examine them. In this instance, we have two independent, peer reviewed studies coming to the same conclusions.

Quote:
The bottom line is if you lose weight too quickly what you are actually doing is losing the very thing you need in order to burn calories and keep the weight off, which is lean muscle mass.
Again, this is not true if done correctly.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:17 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,748,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I agree. All these books are common sense principles where people want to see them in black and white and not figure it out themselves. Believe me, I have bought so many books over the years and now at 47, I'm finally like, LIGHT BULB!!! Just eat better foods, less of them and move more! Duhhhh!!!!
I agree, most diet books are crap. I will say though, some times having a very strict framework can help. Whole 30 helped me. But, it wasn't just the book, it was also online support from people on a forum just like this one. The super-strictness forced me to really examine my habits and helped me set up some new ones that have stuck (like making breakfast every morning and working out before work). Of course, the real beauty of Whole 30 was that I didn't have to buy anything to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss