U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 01:56 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,752,440 times

Advertisements

I eat healthy and make sure I get enough exercise. But my belly is still sticking out.

Thinking about a dietitian, what can I expect from it ? Is it based on blood work ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:11 PM

I am not giving up my love of beer just to get thin ! no way ! beer is holly !

Old 04-17-2015, 02:46 PM

5,748 posts, read 4,196,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I am not giving up my love of beer just to get thin ! no way ! beer is holly !
Boughs of Holly?

It couldn't hurt to have a dietitian help you plan out meals. Knowing what healthy foods you're willing to eat, what's easy to fix, and how much of what to put together can really help you in your weight loss.

As far as the beer drinking, yeah, it makes it tough. If you're drinking more than twice a week, it's going to be hard losing that belly. You don't have to give up beer completely, but you do have to cut back. Any time I'm "jonesing" for a beer and knowing that I need to stay away from it, I'll have a glass of red wine. One glass of a good Merlot feeds my craving for beer and gives me a nice little wine buzz. But the best part about wine is that you're not left with that bloated feeling like you get with beer. And, red wine is relatively healthy in moderation.

And believe it or not, when I have GOT to have beer, I kind of play reverse-psychology on myself. Instead of getting lite beer, I'll get something with a bold taste, kind of like an IPA. With lite beer, I'll be six beers into a case before I feel buzzed, and honestly, lite beer doesn't have much of a taste to me. So, I'll get something like Serria Nevada Torpedo. If I have more than three of those, I'm toast! Bud light? I can drink a 12 pack easily. Not so with the Torpedos. So, even though the Torpedos are more calorie dense, I'm not taken in as many calories since I don't need to drink many of those. And, I get to appreciate the taste.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:21 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,529,277 times
I gave up beer, I still look 6 months pregnant. Meh, I'm sure there are exercises out there, but I know there's no such thing as spot reducing. I am betting that even when I get to goal weight I'll still have a poochy tummy.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Boughs of Holly?

It couldn't hurt to have a dietitian help you plan out meals. Knowing what healthy foods you're willing to eat, what's easy to fix, and how much of what to put together can really help you in your weight loss.

As far as the beer drinking, yeah, it makes it tough. If you're drinking more than twice a week, it's going to be hard losing that belly. You don't have to give up beer completely, but you do have to cut back. Any time I'm "jonesing" for a beer and knowing that I need to stay away from it, I'll have a glass of red wine. One glass of a good Merlot feeds my craving for beer and gives me a nice little wine buzz. But the best part about wine is that you're not left with that bloated feeling like you get with beer. And, red wine is relatively healthy in moderation.

And believe it or not, when I have GOT to have beer, I kind of play reverse-psychology on myself. Instead of getting lite beer, I'll get something with a bold taste, kind of like an IPA. With lite beer, I'll be six beers into a case before I feel buzzed, and honestly, lite beer doesn't have much of a taste to me. So, I'll get something like Serria Nevada Torpedo. If I have more than three of those, I'm toast! Bud light? I can drink a 12 pack easily. Not so with the Torpedos. So, even though the Torpedos are more calorie dense, I'm not taken in as many calories since I don't need to drink many of those. And, I get to appreciate the taste.
vine has calories, what makes you think that vine makes people fat less then beer.

I drink beer, but I don't drink soft drinks, I drink beer, water, coffee with milk, that's all I drink. Coca-cola is going to make people fat faster then beer.

I don't have a fast food diet, I eat like 10lb of veges pier week, steak once a week.

Based on my normal diet, I should not be 240lbs. I walk 5-10 miles a day.

I need a doctor to make tests to see why I am getting fat.

I drink light beer, so that amounts to 2 six packs of regular beer a week. There is tequila that involved as well.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I gave up beer, I still look 6 months pregnant. Meh, I'm sure there are exercises out there, but I know there's no such thing as spot reducing. I am betting that even when I get to goal weight I'll still have a poochy tummy.
Blasphemy ! I should never never give up beer !

Old 04-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Guess I did not ask my question correctly, I need a doctor to run some tests on me and tell me why my metabolism has changed and what to do about it. I have read diet and nutrition books, I have a healthy diet and I strive to exercise 2 hours each day (It does not always happen because of time constrains). I should not be getting fat though.

So if I am interested in a medical doctor who is going take tests, and give me results based on my body chemistry. Is that a dietologist ? OR do I need to see another doctor ?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:56 AM

374 posts, read 477,536 times
What do you eat?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 AM

5,322 posts, read 6,396,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Guess I did not ask my question correctly, I need a doctor to run some tests on me and tell me why my metabolism has changed and what to do about it. I have read diet and nutrition books, I have a healthy diet and I strive to exercise 2 hours each day (It does not always happen because of time constrains). I should not be getting fat though.

So if I am interested in a medical doctor who is going take tests, and give me results based on my body chemistry. Is that a dietologist ? OR do I need to see another doctor ?
Go to your regular physician and get a check up and have them do some blood work. Chances are you have a problem with your thyroid which most of the time can be easily fixed.
In the mean time keep a food journal. Write down every single thing you eat in a day and then add up your calories. This can be very enlightening.
Keep exercising. No need to do it for 2 hours if you do it right. If you are trying to lose weight do interval training. Also lift some weights. Muscle mass makes our metabolism work more efficiently. Hire a personal trainer to get your started - tell them your goals.

There is no need for a dietician - you can find out how to eat properly and exercise without one. If your blood work comes back with some issues your doctor can help you with those.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:20 AM

5,357 posts, read 9,821,707 times
There's a whole book devoted to OP's question -- "Wheat Belly". Beer is, after, liquid carbs. OP may always have a stomach that sticks out if he/she eats/drinks too many carbs...it's just the way it is.

Don't want to give up beer?? Fine. Just learn to love your wheat belly.

If the rest of you is healthy despite your excess weight, then what's the problem? Sometimes, though, diabetes is the result of too many carbs...Google Metabolic Syndrome. Weight gain is usually due to too many calories depite the fact that they might be from healthy sources.

I think a dietician can look at your current way of eating and make positive suggestions for you. Me, I'd go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or