U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:36 AM

9,945 posts, read 4,549,387 times

Advertisements

I go, I want to lose 30 pounds. No one ever told me I can't go because I am not fit.

No one even bats their eyes at me in fact. They all focus on their own thing or the cute girls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 12:46 PM

11,130 posts, read 20,244,955 times
I work out at home, not because I'm embarrassed to go to a gym but because it's just easier with our schedules and my kids and husband want to exercise too, so it made sense to buy used equipment and set up an exercise area in the garage...elliptical, exercise bike, weight machine, punching bag, kettle bells, hula hoops, jump ropes. But I would be less shy at a gym than an all-you-can-eat buffet, because at the gym I'm trying to do good things for myself.

There's a point at which a person becomes too large to use most machines, because of weight limits or physical limitations (just don't fit on the machine). I was at that point when I started losing weight, and then I just used a sturdy chair in front of the tv and did seated workouts that I found on Youtube. For somebody who is seriously overweight, what you eat is a lot more important than working out. Exercise can help keep you motivated and it can make your body stronger and make it feel easier to move, but portion control and limiting carbs will do more for weight loss than hours of exercise a day.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM

4,650 posts, read 8,547,033 times
I have a gym membership and see lots of heavy people working on getting in shape. What I've never seen is "fat people pretending to be body builders".

Most fat people understand they are overweight and the ones at the gym should be proud that they are working on improving their health. Nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed of.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:08 PM

34,204 posts, read 41,155,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
How do obese people actually get enough tenacity to go to the gym? I've never been in a gym and probably would never step foot into one unless I looked like The Rock. Most people would probably get annoyed at fat people pretending to be body builders anyway
For some one who has never been to the gym you have some preconceived ideas that are in error. its the rare person that looks like the Rock in most gyms
Most gyms are for normal people to work out,normal people come in all shapes and sizes.in the gym i go to most people are on the overweight side,thats why they are at the gym,No one looks down at some one who is overweight as every one understands at least we're trying. Do yourself a favor and go see what its all about,if you have a YMCA close by you are really in luck.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 PM

1,925 posts, read 1,857,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Don't fall into the trap of thinking every obese person is lazy and never exercises. There are plenty of obese people who exercise regularly.
No kidding, you would think people would get this. I have to laugh. Last weekend a freind gave me his wife's old fitbit because she doesn't use it. I started using it on Tuesday. Now my co-workers are complaining because we are all in the workweek hustle challenge together, and I am logging 10,000 steps before lunch and 15-20,000 by the end of every work day.

They didn't expect the "fat chick" to be their biggest competition.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 PM

30,461 posts, read 33,272,526 times
My gym doesn't consist of hard bodies, it's mostly regular people of all ages and nobody is socializing they are just exercising.

I remember once this lady came to the gym dressed up in pink and glitter and made up like she was going clubbing. She walked around a little, did something I didn't notice, left, and I never saw her again. LOL. I guess there are some places like that out there, but none I'd be a member of.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:48 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,717,957 times
Two feet at a time!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,009 posts, read 939,462 times
Quote:
How do obese people actually get enough tenacity to go to the gym? I've never been in a gym and probably would never step foot into one unless I looked like The Rock. Most people would probably get annoyed at fat people pretending to be body builders anyway
Going to the gym sure beats the heck out of sitting behind a laptop monitor asking unimportant questions to people you have no relationship to other than ON that laptop.
You have inspired me to join the gym goers and stop sitting behind the laptop monitor...it's a lonely existence.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:32 PM

463 posts, read 440,783 times
Quote:
wow...just wow. i am pretty fit and yet i still get inspired when I see overweight/obese people at the gym. Especially on mornings I barely made it it in. It means they are doing something to better themselves. Good for them! It doesn't happen over night!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:53 PM

3,850 posts, read 6,839,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesu View Post
wow...just wow. i am pretty fit and yet i still get inspired when I see overweight/obese people at the gym. Especially on mornings I barely made it it in. It means they are doing something to better themselves. Good for them! It doesn't happen over night!
I feel that way, too, and I know that others have felt that for me. When I first started working out, a lady told me that she had really noticed my progress and asked me what my goal was. It kept me going--literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss