U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:28 PM

390 posts, read 289,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you feel you need to lose more weight and it is not happening with your current routine then the obvious culprit is that you are not burning enough calories. Sometimes switching up an exercise routine can help. I would add more HIIT training. Softball is not going to burn a heck of a lot of calories. I have no idea what your athletic conditioning consists of, but I do think you are overestimating how many calories you are burning. It sounds as if you need to push yourself to the next level of fitness. Or you can reduce your caloric intake by 100 or so calories a day.
If you are as muscular as you say you are your body should be very efficient at burning calories, but my guess is that you are over estimating your lean muscle. Women who are not body builders or serious about weight lifting usually do not carry a whole lot of muscle weight.
Athletic conditioning is all HIIT. And I do that class 3-4 times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:36 PM

5,339 posts, read 6,409,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
Athletic conditioning is all HIIT. And I do that class 3-4 times a week.
Sounds like you need to re evaluate your diet.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you need to re evaluate your diet.
My current daily calorie intake is a little under 1800. I hardly ever go over. If I do, it is by 100 calories at most and after a pretty hard exercise day. I cut back on my fat consumption and increased my carbs, but limit the amount of carbs I eat after 4 p.m. I'm hoping that I can burn those carbs during exercise and then refuel with a protein and veggie dinner.

I know your diet is especially important for weight loss - I just feel stuck when I'm eating a pretty low amount of calories and am not seeing a whole lot of results.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
My current daily calorie intake is a little under 1800. I hardly ever go over. If I do, it is by 100 calories at most and after a pretty hard exercise day. I cut back on my fat consumption and increased my carbs, but limit the amount of carbs I eat after 4 p.m. I'm hoping that I can burn those carbs during exercise and then refuel with a protein and veggie dinner.

I know your diet is especially important for weight loss - I just feel stuck when I'm eating a pretty low amount of calories and am not seeing a whole lot of results.
Well something is amiss. Re work your diet. Do not worry about carbs or protein or fat or the time you eat them. Just eat whole, fresh foods, and watch your caloric intake. Switch up your exercise routine.

You are saying that you are frustrated but you are defending everything you are currently doing. If you want to see change you will have to make changes.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,535,520 times
Quote:

I feel you, Jess. You've done the research, you followed the advice, and still no desired results. It sucks when things don't go as planned. I hope you can find the formula that works for you soon.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Well something is amiss. Re work your diet. Do not worry about carbs or protein or fat or the time you eat them. Just eat whole, fresh foods, and watch your caloric intake. Switch up your exercise routine.

You are saying that you are frustrated but you are defending everything you are currently doing. If you want to see change you will have to make changes.
How am I defending everything I'm currently doing and not making the change? In my previous post, I said I was lowering my fat intake and making sure I stick to my exact daily calorie allowance. I've started eating 95% "clean" foods and cutting out processed.

I'm not sure how I'm not making any changes...

Old 05-12-2015, 04:08 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,396,676 times
Less carbs. More protein.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
How am I defending everything I'm currently doing and not making the change? In my previous post, I said I was lowering my fat intake and making sure I stick to my exact daily calorie allowance. I've started eating 95% "clean" foods and cutting out processed.

I'm not sure how I'm not making any changes...
Have you changed your caloric intake? Do not worry about eating fat - fat is good in moderation especially mono saturated. And eating fat keeps you fuller longer. Changing the food is one thing, changing the calories is another. You may be eating too few calories, but my guess is that you are eating too many. Play around with intake and switch up your exercise routine. Go for a run, or swim laps, lift weights - something different from what you are doing now.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:56 PM

15,129 posts, read 31,038,048 times
Well, in re-reading your original post, it really tells us nothing about whether you are really overweight or just have unrealistic expectations. If you are eating and working out the way you say you are you should be at a pretty good weight and size.

I have never in my life had a flat belly even when I was super-thin. Today I am in my 60s, at a good healthy weight and pretty good muscle tone for my age, I work out quite a bit. I still have stomach fat because that is where my body stores it. I have no desire to lose more weight just to lose there, as I cannot afford to be thinner elsewhere on my body at this point. Maybe you just have to accept things as they are.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,634,260 times
This seldom takes place with the casual work out .. and is directed more to Heavy Workout Muscle Mass Builders.. I will mention that playing a team sport like softball may be fun, but it contributes VERY Little to your workout.. You might not be burning the calories you think you are.. Lets look at your workout.. If you do 100 PROPER SLOW Pushups in 10 minutes ( thats a nice slow pace... REALLY burning those muscles) you will burn at best 100 calories.. Do you workout to total muscle failure of one muscle group at least once a week? Do you know what a Total Muscle Failure workout is?? In a Word Puke... See where I am going with this? I dont think you are burning near what you think you are..Do you have a GOOD work out buddy or a Trainer who REALLY PUSHES YOU? Lets leave the workout behind and ask how long and how regular you have been working out? 6 months? 1 Year? 5 Days a week? Never skipping more than one day at a time? Do you drink at least 2 qts of water a day? Do you ever drink pop/soda?
If your serious about losing weight or building muscle read the lable of everything before it goes in your mouth and learn what all those $10 words mean on the lables..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I wonder if you are working out too much. With the schedule you posted there really is very little time for your body to recover. That can cause inflammation and cause your body to hold onto fat. I'd probably back off to 4 days per week and see if it helps. If not, you can always go back to 6 days, but it just seems like you are doing a lot of intense activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss