U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM

390 posts, read 288,610 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 year old female. I've always been pretty skinny my entire life however, that was due to the stress of break-ups where I wasn't eating and lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. I never really learned how to eat right and what "in moderation" meant.

A few summers ago, I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time. I had previously gone through a bad break-up and lost a lot of weight, and after moving forward, was still eating like I did when I was stressed/depressed. Sure, Bojangles once a day won't make you gain weight when its the only thing you're eating, but when I was eating that (thinking it would be ok) plus drinking and pizza and so forth, it caught up to me QUICKLY!

Within the last month, I REALLY started watching what I was eating. I have almost entirely cut out processed foods. I will admit, I do have the occasional helping of trailmix that includes m&ms and dried fruit, but I log everything in My Fitness pal. I also take progress pictures every Friday morning to compare. This morning I compared my current photos to my very first photos on April 15 and although I see a difference, I feel like the way I've been eating and exercising should have shown better results.

With that said, I feel stuck. I am a VERY active person. I exercise 5-6 times a week and sometimes twice a day. For example, last week's schedule was:

Monday: Athletic Conditioning class at my gym (this class includes HIIT). During this class, I burn anywhere from 500-700 calories
Tuesday: Athletic Conditioning (500-700 calories) and my softball game (I usually burn between 400 and 500 calories during one game)
Wednesday: Athletic Conditioning (500-700 calories)
Thursday: Athletic Conditioning (500-700 calories) and my softball game (400-500 calories)
Friday: Off
Saturday: 30 minutes cardio on the elliptical machine and 30-45 minutes weights (I typically burn between 400-600 calories when I do my own workouts)
Sunday: Athletic Conditioning (500-700 calories)

The week sometimes varies. Some days I won't have time to go to Athletic Conditioning before softball or I may take 3 days off, but that is rare. I also try to eat more during the days I do a gym class and play softball since I typically burn over 1000.

My diet is pretty simple. For breakfast I have gluten free oatmeal with stevie, cinnamon, chopped pecans and blueberries. Lunch is one of the tuna creation packets and veggies (green beans, peas or broccoli). Sometimes I may add an avocado or some kind of carb like sweet potato or quiona. Dinner is usually just a protein (chicken, 1 egg and egg whites or fish) and veggies (green beans, peas or broccoli). If I burned a lot of calories from physical activity that day, I may make another carb for dinner. My snacks can include apple slices and peanut butter, quest bar, boiled eggs, raw almonds, avocado, trail mix, popcorn or baby carrots with hummus.

My "goal" daily calorie intake is 1,782. Most days I hit that, give or take a few calories and as I stated, the days I'm burning a lot of calories, I may take that up to about 1900 calories. But I hardly ever eat over 2,000 unless its a cheat day, which doesn't happen often. I do drink but it is usually once or twice a week, if that.

I don't want to get discouraged since I know that it is very unrealistic/unhealthy to expect to drop a good amount of weight in a short. Maybe I am being unrealistic by not being happy that I'm seeing SOME kind of change. But I thought after a month, I should see more of a difference.

After seeing my above post, does anyone have any immediate suggestions? Am I not eating enough? Also, how many grams of fat should I be eating? I've always been told between 60-70. And most of my fat intake is healthy fat from avocados and nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 01:25 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,743,961 times
I wonder if you are working out too much. With the schedule you posted there really is very little time for your body to recover. That can cause inflammation and cause your body to hold onto fat. I'd probably back off to 4 days per week and see if it helps. If not, you can always go back to 6 days, but it just seems like you are doing a lot of intense activity.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:14 PM

15,109 posts, read 30,990,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I wonder if you are working out too much. With the schedule you posted there really is very little time for your body to recover. That can cause inflammation and cause your body to hold onto fat. I'd probably back off to 4 days per week and see if it helps. If not, you can always go back to 6 days, but it just seems like you are doing a lot of intense activity.
I agree with this - sounds like too much working out. I would cut it back, but do NOT cut your calories, your body needs to rebuild and recover.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:40 PM

4,064 posts, read 7,734,108 times
You just need to be patient. Focus on health and the weight will come off. That wasn't mine. I learned that from Dr. Joel Fuhrman, my favorite health mentor. I started trying to get back in shape 18 days ago. I have lost 4 inches around the belly. Like you, I work out six days a week. My workout is different from yours and probably only works for me and not you, so I won't bother you with the details.

What I can recommend is that you watch these shows on PBS:

1. Dr. Joel Fuhrman: 3 steps to incredible health

2. Joy Bauer: Food Remedies

These great people will give you the science behind the nutrition we should be eating. Once you understand the why and how, everything will click.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:40 PM

11,138 posts, read 20,296,314 times
Most calorie counting apps really overestimate the calories burned during exercise.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:20 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,874,495 times
I would be shocked if you actually burn 400-500 calories in a softball game.

I don't think you're exercising too much. This seems to be a normal amount. One hour a day, six days a week is pretty normal.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,233,577 times
1782-1900 calories per day, a 27-year-old female of no specific weight, no specific height.

So let's play a little math game: Averages for Fun and Giggles.

The average 27-year-old American female has a medium build, is medium height, and medium weight. That would be approximately 5'5" and 166 lbs, which is considered overweight (but overweight IS average in the USA).

Now - the average 27-year-old American female will burn approximately 2120 calories, if you get no exercise at all and are sedentary.

So you will need to consume 2120 calories in order to maintain your weight, without exercising at all. If you eat less, you will lose weight. If you exercise, you will lose weight. If you eat more, or become confined to complete immobilized bedrest, you will gain weight.

Since you claim to be consuming less than 2000 calories per day, AND burning a minimum of 500 calories from exercise per day, you must, therefore, be losing weight.

If you are not losing weight, then you are either a) not exercising as much as you think you are, b) are eating a whole lot more than you think you're eating, or c) some combination of the two. Or - you're a LOT taller than that, and/or a LOT heavier than that. The more you weigh, the more you burn without exercise because your body has to work harder to maintain a higher weight. But that also means you're eating a LOT more than you think you do.

Let us know when you find out what's actually going on, and we'll be able to offer some advice!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1782-1900 calories per day, a 27-year-old female of no specific weight, no specific height.

So let's play a little math game: Averages for Fun and Giggles.

The average 27-year-old American female has a medium build, is medium height, and medium weight. That would be approximately 5'5" and 166 lbs, which is considered overweight (but overweight IS average in the USA).

Now - the average 27-year-old American female will burn approximately 2120 calories, if you get no exercise at all and are sedentary.

So you will need to consume 2120 calories in order to maintain your weight, without exercising at all. If you eat less, you will lose weight. If you exercise, you will lose weight. If you eat more, or become confined to complete immobilized bedrest, you will gain weight.

Since you claim to be consuming less than 2000 calories per day, AND burning a minimum of 500 calories from exercise per day, you must, therefore, be losing weight.

If you are not losing weight, then you are either a) not exercising as much as you think you are, b) are eating a whole lot more than you think you're eating, or c) some combination of the two. Or - you're a LOT taller than that, and/or a LOT heavier than that. The more you weigh, the more you burn without exercise because your body has to work harder to maintain a higher weight. But that also means you're eating a LOT more than you think you do.

Let us know when you find out what's actually going on, and we'll be able to offer some advice!
I am 5'5 and I weight about 150lbs. However, I am an athletic build so a lot of my weight is made up of muscle rather than 5. I go between a small/medium depending on the clothing size. My end goal is to lose the additional fat that I do have in my lower-mid section, arms and upper thighs.

Even if my calorie burn is not as high as my polar watch says, I'm not eating back my calories. My daily calorie consumption is a little under 1800 calories so I eat that almost exact amount. I'm not like a lot of people who burn their calories just to eat them back.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I would be shocked if you actually burn 400-500 calories in a softball game.

I don't think you're exercising too much. This seems to be a normal amount. One hour a day, six days a week is pretty normal.
But I'm not only exercising one hour a day, six days a week. Some of my days consists of 3 hours of exercising. For example, if my schedule allowed, I would go to the class at the gym and then go play softball or football. Some of those days, I have double headers. So I could potentially be taking the gym class and then playing 2 hours of softball.

My softball game may not actually burn 400-500 calories. I honestly don't have any way to know. I just go off what my watch says. But I make it a point to run on and off the field, plus it is slow pitch and the position I play requires a lot of running back and forth, whether its covering second base, running to field a ground ball or running in the outfield to act as a cut off person. I also hit the ball often, so I'm running the bases.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:08 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,392,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
I am 5'5 and I weight about 150lbs. However, I am an athletic build so a lot of my weight is made up of muscle rather than 5. I go between a small/medium depending on the clothing size. My end goal is to lose the additional fat that I do have in my lower-mid section, arms and upper thighs.

Even if my calorie burn is not as high as my polar watch says, I'm not eating back my calories. My daily calorie consumption is a little under 1800 calories so I eat that almost exact amount. I'm not like a lot of people who burn their calories just to eat them back.
If you feel you need to lose more weight and it is not happening with your current routine then the obvious culprit is that you are not burning enough calories. Sometimes switching up an exercise routine can help. I would add more HIIT training. Softball is not going to burn a heck of a lot of calories. I have no idea what your athletic conditioning consists of, but I do think you are overestimating how many calories you are burning. It sounds as if you need to push yourself to the next level of fitness. Or you can reduce your caloric intake by 100 or so calories a day.
If you are as muscular as you say you are your body should be very efficient at burning calories, but my guess is that you are over estimating your lean muscle. Women who are not body builders or serious about weight lifting usually do not carry a whole lot of muscle weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss