Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times

Advertisements

Anyone have and of the fitness bracelets that are out there -- FitBit, Flex, or others.

Do they work? How have you found them to use? easy? not worth it?

So you HAVE to have it sync'd with an app o your smart phone or computer to use it?

I'm looking for something like these that I can wear to track all my fitness info -- but I'm NOT tech savvy.

Thanks....

PS. HSN has a flex on sale for $150.....QVC has the FitBit for $90
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM

158 posts, read 264,816 times
I have the Fitbit Flex, and I do like it. It's going to depend on what your goals are as to which tracker is best for you. I've got the Fitbit synched to my phone, and the Fitbit data is synched also to my Microsoft Health Vault account and my work's healthy living app. However, all I really track are sleep and steps. I might start tracking food and water and other exercise, but the reason I purchased it was to help myself get more active.

I've had stand alone pedometers before, but the problem was I'd wear them for a week or two but then forget to wear them. The Flex only has to be taken off if you're going to be swimming or something underwater. Keep it on in the shower and every other time. And the fact that this synchs without me doing anything is great!

Cons - I'd love if it had a heart rate monitor (not sure any really have that now), and a watch face and stair tracking like the force did. I need to always know what time it is (ok, I'm weird) so I have to wear the wristband and a watch, but it's trendy to wear a wrist full of stuff right now so, that's not a deal breaker.

Pro - as mentioned before, I don't have to take it off except swimming and to charge it (goes about 5 days or so). It comes with a dongle that you can synch directly to your computer and the online Fitbit app, or without any hardware besides the Fitbit and your phone (check their website for compatible devices if you have an older phone), it does all the synching. Also I think it's cool that I can get other colored bands to match my outfits. I got a red one as the first band, and now that I know I'm going to keep the device, I'll be collecting other colors!

Price - the set including a large and small wristband in one color + one connector, the actual tracker device, dongle and charging cable can be purchased directly from Fitbit for $99.95 including free standard shipping. Do your price comparisons from there.

Another side note about terminology - Fitbit is a brand. Flex, One, and Zip are their current devices. If anyone tries to sell you a Fitbit Force, they've been recalled by the manufacturer and the company is redoing them as there were a small but significant number of skin allergies reported. (My husband loved his Force and had no problem, had another friend who had the rash, so YMMV just be aware)

Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Is there any device available -- that I DON"T need to sync to a phone or computer...that just tracks all the info and stores it in the device?

Maybe something like a watch-like device that -- even if it has a limited memory -- and can see how many steps per day, and heart rate, and maybe calories burned in a given day.

...a stand alone health/fitness tracker that I don't need to sync to anything else.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 PM

I was looking at the "Basic" -- it's watch style and has a big display.
Anyone have this?

I want a tracker I can just read the info on -- and NOT have to sync to another device to read the data.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Nothing works like my good ol iPhone. Its really all you need.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
If it motivates you to be more active and gives you subconscious pushes to eat a little better, then it's probably worth it. That's the real value of any of those devices

Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM

My iPhone and installed fitness applications are so important to my workouts that if I forgot my phone I wont even workout.

The costs of some of those devices for what they actually do is just ridiculous. Most everyone has a smart phone anyway, so just go through the reviews to see what app works best for you and your goals. No way would I spend the money on a fitbit or similar device when my phone can do the same thing.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
It seems like such a sad, lonely thing to be so dependent on an electronic device that you would avoid exercise if you weren't hooked up to one.

When I want to work out, I either go to the gym, or go for a bike ride. I don't track anything. I don't need to. I know I'm feeling better than I did a couple years ago before I joined the gym. I know I feel better the day after a bike ride, than after a few days without one. That's MY tracking device. No batteries needed.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It seems like such a sad, lonely thing to be so dependent on an electronic device that you would avoid exercise if you weren't hooked up to one.

If you feel that way maybe you should not have even bothered to participate in this discussion. You aren't adding anything to the OPs question.

Those of us who track what we do, enjoy having our devices with us.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
If you feel that way maybe you should not have even bothered to participate in this discussion. You aren't adding anything to the OPs question.

Those of us who track what we do, enjoy having our devices with us.
Except the OP wasn't asking about apps you can use on your iphone, nor was he asking whether or not such apps were worth giving up workouts, if you didn't have them.

He's looking for a standalone device that does NOT involve his phone. Does this mean you also shouldn't have bothered to participate in the discussion too? You're not answering his question either.

To the OP: Some of the fitness trackers provide the ability to sync with your smartphone or computer, but don't require it. Garmin has a fitness watch that's waterproof for swimming, can track your heart rate and calories burned, and can back up wirelessly to your computer. But the information displayed is live, so it's not going to "not work" just because you don't have it backing up to anything.

There are other sportswatches that provide data to you while you're using them too, what's that company - UnderArmour? ArmourUnder - they have one. Of course there are those pedometers, that you just strap to your ankle and start running, and they'll tell you how far you went.

There are digital heart rate monitors that are worn like watches - and CVS has a 4-in-1 heart rate/pedometer/calorie counter/watch for something like $50, that doesn't have to sync to anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss