Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,688,072 times

Advertisements

Depends on the timing and type of food you eat vs. the timing of your exercise. At least for me it matters.

If I have a protein-heavy breakfast (such as a mushroom and cheese omelet, no toast or side foods) and my usual morning cup of coffee and then work out a half hour later, I'll be fine til lunch. If I eat oatmeal for breakfast and work out a half hour later, I'll be hungry within an hour of the workout.

On the other hand, if I don't eat before I work out, and then go next door to the gym for a "taqueria-style" single taco made with a fresh soft (not fried) corn tortilla, a spoon of carne asada (approx. 2 ounces of marinated skirt-steak), with just cilantro and onions, I'm good almost til suppertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,781,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Depends on the timing and type of food you eat vs. the timing of your exercise. At least for me it matters.

If I have a protein-heavy breakfast (such as a mushroom and cheese omelet, no toast or side foods) and my usual morning cup of coffee and then work out a half hour later, I'll be fine til lunch. If I eat oatmeal for breakfast and work out a half hour later, I'll be hungry within an hour of the workout.

On the other hand, if I don't eat before I work out, and then go next door to the gym for a "taqueria-style" single taco made with a fresh soft (not fried) corn tortilla, a spoon of carne asada (approx. 2 ounces of marinated skirt-steak), with just cilantro and onions, I'm good almost til suppertime.
I need protein in the morning as well, but I do need some carbs too. I might do 1/2 PB&J sandwich on a slice of organic whole grain bread, or oatmeal with walnuts.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,688,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I need protein in the morning as well, but I do need some carbs too. I might do 1/2 PB&J sandwich on a slice of organic whole grain bread, or oatmeal with walnuts.
I definitely get carbs in the morning-
Cup coffee with splash milk + 2 tsp sugar = 10 grams carb
Omelette:
2 large eggs = 1 gram
cheddar cheese = 1/2 gram
mushrooms = 2 grams

Total carbs: +/- 14 grams for breakfast.

Super low-carb but it's still carbs.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,202,885 times
I think it depends on the exercise. I want to eat like a horse after cardio, but weight training doesn't affect my appetite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Hmmm,i ate healthy but am still fat.

When i did both,i lost weight.

WHo keeps repeating that myth that exercise makes you hungrier?

If anything,it decreases appetite

Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,567,762 times
Bullcrap! Like most blanket statements, this is not always true.

So how come a few years back I weighed 220# with little to no muscle mass and now cycling 100 miles or so a week, going to the gym one hard hour a week, I weigh 164#, even with significant muscle mass in my legs, some in my upper body, waist is 32" which used to be 38", and I eat all I want? I put lots of butter on my bread and am not afraid to pig out on Tx BBQ.

I have a cycling friend who doesn't have an ounce of fat on him and when we stop to eat after a ride he can eat a whole pizza as an appetizer before he settles in to his meal.

Exercise damn sure CAN cause you to lose weight -- it just has to be a considerable amount and intensity of exercise.

Don in Austin

Old 05-25-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Bullcrap! Like most blanket statements, this is not always true.

So how come a few years back I weighed 220# with little to no muscle mass and now cycling 100 miles or so a week, going to the gym one hard hour a week, I weigh 164#, even with significant muscle mass in my legs, some in my upper body, waist is 32" which used to be 38", and I eat all I want? I put lots of butter on my bread and am not afraid to pig out on Tx BBQ.

I have a cycling friend who doesn't have an ounce of fat on him and when we stop to eat after a ride he can eat a whole pizza as an appetizer before he settles in to his meal.

Exercise damn sure CAN cause you to lose weight -- it just has to be a considerable amount and intensity of exercise.

Don in Austin
As long as your are running on a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Exercise burns calories so it is an effective enhancer to weight loss. But you cannot lose weight from exercise if you are not burning more calories than you are consuming.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that exercise is healthy and I like to work out. However, the key to weight loss is diet. People should exercise because it is good for them, but it is not the key to weight loss.
It absolutely was the key for me. 56#s worth of key, 6" less waist circumference, higher percentage of the weight I still have is muscle, not fat.

Nothing against a sensible diet, but exercise "is not the key to weight loss" is a blanket statement that is as often false as it is true.

Don in Austin

Old 05-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
As long as your are running on a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Exercise burns calories so it is an effective enhancer to weight loss. But you cannot lose weight from exercise if you are not burning more calories than you are consuming.
Of course.

In my case exercise is not "an effective enhancer to weight loss," but is the primary reason I have lost weight and kept it off several years. I use some common sense in what I eat, but I don't take in any fewer calories than I ever did and I never worry about how much I eat. Now here's a new flash: NOT EVERYBODY IS THE SAME! Someone who compulsively overeats, drinks sugary sodas all day long, etc., is probably best off addressing his or her obesity first through diet, but, for me, getting off my ass and exercising A LOT was the key. I have maintained a much healthier weight and, more importantly, waist circumference, for several years, so I feel confident that my focus on exercise works in my case.
Don in Austin

Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 PM

Its diet!! No!! It's exercise that will make you lose weight!! NO!! It's diet that's important to make you lose weight!! And so on ad nauseum... A pretty silly debate when things are put in absolute terms.

Both make a difference. Common sense should tell one that whichever of these two areas has the greatest potential for improvement should get top priority. This is going to depend on how bad is the diet to begin with and how bad is a lack of exercise. it will also depend on the potential for being motivated to address either of these. While it might seem a radical concept, this will vary greatly from individual to individual. The fact that exercise allowed me to lose 56 #s of fat and eat as much as I want (within some semblance of reason) does not mean that someone who performs hard physical labor all day but is obese because he drinks two six-packs of Coca-Cola daily should not concentrate on his diet.

Anybody who says you can't lose weight by diet without exercise will be made a liar by those who do exactly that. Of course, lack of exercise has health drawbacks that are not weight-related.

Anybody who says you can't lose weight through serious exercise will be made a liar by those who, like me, have done exactly that.

That's why I have little use for simplistic magazine articles such as the one referenced in the first post of this thread. If the opposite claim had been made, "Forget about calories, you need to EXERCISE to lose weight" that would have been just as bad.

Don in Austin

Old 05-26-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Of course.

In my case exercise is not "an effective enhancer to weight loss," but is the primary reason I have lost weight and kept it off several years. I use some common sense in what I eat, but I don't take in any fewer calories than I ever did and I never worry about how much I eat. Now here's a new flash: NOT EVERYBODY IS THE SAME! Someone who compulsively overeats, drinks sugary sodas all day long, etc., is probably best off addressing his or her obesity first through diet, but, for me, getting off my ass and exercising A LOT was the key. I have maintained a much healthier weight and, more importantly, waist circumference, for several years, so I feel confident that my focus on exercise works in my case.
Don in Austin
I am a huge believer in exercise and I have been able to maintain my weight through exercise. However when my weight creeps up a few pounds I know I have eaten more than I have been burning and I have to limit my calories.
Newsflash - the formula is the same for everyone - in order to lose weight you must have a calorie deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss