Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 AM

678 posts, read 697,505 times

Advertisements

Society makes it ok in my opinion. Nobody want to tell people to loose weight but they'll tell them that their beautiful and they should never be ashamed? I SAY its a serious health issue. They should be concerned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Society makes it ok in my opinion. Nobody wants to tell people to lose weight but they'll tell them that they're beautiful and they should never be ashamed? I SAY its a serious health issue. They should be concerned
I don't think that's true at all. Yes, there is a segment that says accept yourself as you are, you are beautiful, etc., and there's some validity to that: Self-loathing doesn't help anyone and can lead to further emotional-based eating.

But you can't possibly be serious with "nobody wants to tell people to lose weight"? There is a multi-billion-dollar industry based on constantly telling people that they need to lose weight. There are also medical and governmental entities constantly warning about the effects of obesity on health. You can't turn around without seeing a gym or a dietician service or a health food store.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
It depends how big they are on whether it's a serious health issue.

I believe society, in general, says being fat is not OK and not attractive.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
OK, I'm overweight.
Exactly how is that any of YOUR business?
We are ALL going to DIE! When I die is none of your business, and I really don't care when YOU die!
IMO, we all need to learn to allow each other to live our lives as we see fit.
I am willing to do that. Are you?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
This guy is a fat-shamer. Don't feed it.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Being fat is very uncomfortable. It's like carrying another person or two on your back everywhere you go, all the time. Who would really want to do that??

Gaining weight is a gradual process, so the pounds just slowly creep on. Next thing the person knows, they're fat & uncomfortable! Then they think, Oh God what have I done? Losing weight is much harder than gaining it.

People need to be careful. Balance calories in with calories out. It's not fun to do, but it's necessary.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Society makes it ok in my opinion. Nobody want to tell people to loose weight but they'll tell them that their beautiful and they should never be ashamed? I SAY its a serious health issue. They should be concerned

I think you are talking about the Fat Acceptance movement, maybe?

That can turn from acceptance to glorification, but not always.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No; I think being aft has penalties form when your a child and say tams are being fixed; to dating later ;marriage chance further on and life itself at a point. People get the message all the time for all the good it seems to do. They do not need to be told verbally really.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:36 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Really, really depends on the amount and other factors. Being a little overweight is actually good for you.

Research: A Little Extra Fat May Help You Live Longer : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 07-09-2015, 12:54 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I have an idea, OP: You worry about your weight, and I'll worry about mine.

In other words, mind your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss