U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,764,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I recently read an article about the role of will-power in weight loss, and how it's a kind of trap, and I was faced with it yesterday at a meeting where the conference table was lined with snacks. It's not like you say no to the cookies one time and you're good, you have to say no to the cookies every time you glance across the table, and every time one of your colleagues reaches for one for an hour and a half. So you're trying to be mindful and participate in the task at hand, but you've also got this steady drone of "Don't eat a cookie. Don't eat a cookie. Don't eat a cookie" as background noise in the back of your mind.
Instead of "Don't eat a cookie," try saying to yourself, "I have decided not to eat cookies today."

For some reason, I think that self-talk is more powerful than "Don't eat a cookie."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,528,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's all about choices, but I think I'd switch to a tablespoon of half-and-half at 20 calories and a teaspoon of sugar at 16 calories and save the other 214 calories for something more filling. Even if you double that you'd still have calories for something later in the day.

If you're just starting out trying to eat 1,400 to 1800 calories a day, you'll do lots of experimenting and substituting til you find foods that satisfy you.
I could TRY the half and half, but I highly doubt I'd like it. Coffee tastes nasty to me, (but otherwise "fun" to drink, call me a weirdo, I don't care) so I definitely need at least 3 tbsp. of flavored creamer in my cup of coffee.

I like the soup idea! I wish I could be less lazy and make more soup.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:06 PM

4,064 posts, read 7,735,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I recently read an article about the role of will-power in weight loss, and how it's a kind of trap, and I was faced with it yesterday at a meeting where the conference table was lined with snacks. It's not like you say no to the cookies one time and you're good, you have to say no to the cookies every time you glance across the table, and every time one of your colleagues reaches for one for an hour and a half. So you're trying to be mindful and participate in the task at hand, but you've also got this steady drone of "Don't eat a cookie. Don't eat a cookie. Don't eat a cookie" as background noise in the back of your mind.
10 weeks ago I could eat those things like there was no tomorrow. Now I look at them the way I look at cigarettes. My body has completed adjusted to healthy food. What I crave now are steamed broccoli, bok choy, and cabbage. I have to thank people like Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Michael Roizen, Dr. Mark Hyman, and others whose health shows on PBS gave me the knowledge and motivation to change my eating behavior.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,239,772 times
So a guy who makes his living selling supplements, a guy whose major claim to fame was four books co-written with the TV fraud Dr. Oz, and a guy who makes his living selling a variety of diet books - is how you found your health, and how you learned how to pretend the cabbage was something to crave and cookies were something to disdain.

I think I'll stick with being 15 pounds heavier than I should be, and enjoying the occasional craving for cookies. If I ever exchange cabbage for cookie cravings, I hope someone does me the favor of putting me out of my misery.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:19 PM

5,107 posts, read 659,636 times
I'm a 63 yr. old female who NEVER thought I could lose weight.

Last fall I weighed 178 lbs. My latest weigh in (I weigh my self once/month) was 154.6.

How did I do it?

It was at a chiropractor's appointment that I mentioned in passing that I get headaches from certain foods. When my chiro asked me what kind of food, I winced and said, "Beer" thinking that he'd think that I frequently go on benders. Immediately he replied, "Oh, you have a yeast infection." I was tested for allergies years ago so in the back of my mind I knew that I was sensitive to yeast and mold, but I didn't really know how it affected me.

I googled "yeast diet" and discovered that a lot seemingly unrelated symptoms--depression, mood swings, headaches, uticaria, "itchy blood," bloat, sleeplessness, etc.--were caused by the yeast. Some diets are more stringent than others, but bottom line--no bread, no wheat products, no sugar, no caffeine, no cheese, no soda (diet or otherwise), no starchy veggies, no processed foods, etc. Basically, leafy greens, chicken & fish, nuts (no peanuts as these are technically legumes) , herbal teas and plenty of water. The only fats are olive and nut oils (but I also use coconut oil and that seems OK) Plain yogurt and eggs are also allowed, as is oatmeal (I eat steel cut oats). For a snack I eat plain rice cakes with either almond or cashew nut butter. Vinegar is NOT allowed as it contains sugar.

There's a simple "spit test" you can do. This sounds crazy but it's true: simply spit in a glass of water. If the spit stays clumped together no candida is present. If the spit strings out into filaments you got a yeast issue.

My chiro recommended a probiotic and pau d'arco supplements. Mentally, I wasn't prepared to do this so I held off on the supplements until this past April. What I DID do was start a modified yeast diet: no bread, no sugar (sugar "feeds" the yeast), I only drank caffeinated tea black, no processed foods, no diet soda. I did continue to eat cheese and the only "bread" I had was soft tortilla flats. This was around Christmas and noticed that I was starting to lose some weight and feel less bloated.

I started "in earnest" the day after Easter with the probiotic and pau d'arco supplements, and a diet sheet my chiro gave me. The killer for me was giving up caffeine. I had an excruciating headache for 2+ days, and it took about 5 days before I felt somewhat "normal." After that first hurtle I was really diligent for about a month. I'm still on the probiotic and I've "cheated" on and off once I re-did the spit test and it came out normal. I've had the occasional cup of coffee with cream/sugar and coke slushies, but caffeine really does interfere with my sleep--and believe me, I don't want go thru caffeine withdrawal ever again! Interestingly, I started eating the rice cakes with Polaner All Fruit (no sugar in this just fruit) and I noticed a difference right away--slight headache and "itchy" blood.

During this time I haven't counted calories at all nor do I do "portion control," though after being on this so long I find that I naturally eat less. When I cook chicken I don't take the skin off nor do I only eat just the white meat. Once in a while I would have beef, too. Just this week started adding fruit to the diet by juicing it with leafy greens, celery and carrots and ginger. I'll say one thing: this diet has cut down on my grocery bill! BTW--I'm not doing any exercise, though I know I should :/

I'm not necessarily advocating going whole hog on this, but if you're at a plateau I'd suggest cutting out bread and any wheat products, processed foods, diet sodas and any kind of starch and sugar (even fruit) for a week or two to jump start your weight loss again. Good Luck!

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 06-02-2015 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 06-02-2015, 06:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,239,772 times
1. The spit test is an old wive's tale, a fable, a myth, a scam. Candida is ALWAYS present in your body. It's supposed to be there, and a spit test showing up clumpy means you are spitting out mucus, which is ALSO always present in your body, though if you have a cold, or bronchitis, or pneumonia, or any other upper respiratory illness, you will be more likely to have clumpy spit than if you weren't sick. That's because of the mucus, not because of candida. Candida has absolutely nothing to do with it.
2. The yeast in beer is not the same yeast as the yeast in your body. Your body does not produce brewer's yeast, and beer does not contain candida albicans.
3. Polaner All-Fruit Apricot has 8 grams sugar per tablespoon. Grape: 8 grams sugar. Blueberry: 8 grams sugar. Strawberry: 8 grams sugar. Each tablespoon is 35 calories total. A gram of sugar is 3.87 calories. 3.87x8 = 30.96 calories per tablespoon. This means that out of 35 calories per tablespoon of Polaner All-Fruit, only 4.04 calories are NOT sugar.
5. If you had candida albicans infection in your mouth, it would be called thrush, and you'd SEE it on your tongue and inside your mouth. If you had a yeast infection in your vagina, you'd see it as a frothy, smelly discharge. If you had invasive candidiasis, you would have fevers and chills that don't improve after antibiotic therapy is tried, and if you didn't treat it, you would suffer organ failure. Chiropractors are not qualified to treat candidiasis unless they are also MDs. Supplements won't treat or cure invasive candidiasis.
6. If you felt better after taking supplements, then you didn't have candidiasis.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:29 PM

19,607 posts, read 18,679,720 times
I saw the most amazing thing the other day. I go to a heated physical therapy pool at least one day a week. This time there was a very obese man in the pool. We started talking and he told me he has lost 40 pounds since March. I assume he watches what he eats but he said he also goes to this pool and keeps moving. Hour after hour every day. He also goes and sits in the sauna and does exercises while he's in there.

I'm sure his exercises are nothing very strenuous or unsafe. He cannot walk, he has to use a wheelchair and is on disability due to his weight. But he was so happy and proud of his weight loss and he is not going to stop going to the pool and getting his exercise. He says that on land he can barely move but in the pool he is like a ballerina! He was funny and an inspiration. He said he watched his own brother die. He tried to help his brother by withholding the food but his brother was somehow sneaking food. You have to eat right and you have to keep moving.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermolee View Post
I always wonder why exercising is not as easy as eating
Because exercise hurts. It takes effort. Exertion. Many don't like exertion.

Eating feels gooooodddd. It doesn't take effort. Lift fork to mouth, enjoy. Repeat. Many enjoy this.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I could TRY the half and half, but I highly doubt I'd like it. Coffee tastes nasty to me, (but otherwise "fun" to drink, call me a weirdo, I don't care) so I definitely need at least 3 tbsp. of flavored creamer in my cup of coffee.

I like the soup idea! I wish I could be less lazy and make more soup.
Like I said, you'll be trying out lots of different things. Try to keep an open mind and give things a try. I'd never use 250 calories on daily coffee if I knew I could have yogurt and a banana later in the day instead.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Like I said, you'll be trying out lots of different things. Try to keep an open mind and give things a try. I'd never use 250 calories on daily coffee if I knew I could have yogurt and a banana later in the day instead.
Your point is totally valid and well-taken. But, everyone is different and must find what works for them. Yogurt and banana, to me, sounds blah, and nothing I would ever look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or