Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 AM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Your wish is my command.

Honestly, I haven't even thought that my stalling is due to my age. I really think it is due to my calorie intake. I would hate for me to blame it on my age, when it isn't my age. Soon enough, hopefully I will get into gear and prove that it really is the calorie thing. Go 1400 a day! **cheers self on lol**

But who knows for sure. Anyway, here it is, a thread for losing weight after 40.
Enjoy.

P.S. I am 47:9.
I lost weight when I was over 60 -- 63 as i recall. (??) I am now 69 years old. From about 220 to 165 lbs. I could stand to lose a LITTLE more but not much. I started to eat more sensibly and took up going to the gym once/week and also cycling briskly, not avoiding hills, 100 miles or so/week. Without the exercise I highly doubt it would have happened for me.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 08:05 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Listen, my mother was overweight as long as I remember her. She was always 5'11" and strongly built, as I am (except I'm 6'1"), so she carried it well, but she weighed around 230, 235. She'd been thin as a young woman, but after seven kids she put on some pounds.

About three years ago or so, she decided to lose some weight since she has a genetic kidney disease and is trying to forestall dialysis. Extra weight doesn't help. She can't exercise because she walks with a cane now because of arthritis in the hip and foot. So, she stopped eating her candies when she sits in her recliner and reads and does crossword puzzles, and she started to eat half a sandwich for lunch because she discovered that was enough to make her full, and she cut down portions all around. She's lost about 38 pounds total this way. She looks great. And she is 86 years old.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Another thing I'm noticing lately is women my age and older who are overweight and having to walk with canes. I commute to work by train, and I recently returned to working in lower Manhattan, where I'm surrounded by the herds of other people commuting by public transit every day. I really began to notice this over the past month or so, and it's a little disturbing.

Of course, I don't know these people, and I don't know if a knee injury or something preceded the weight gain or if the mobility issue is the result of years of weight. But I rarely see thin people in their fifties walking with canes. It's just another incentive to me to get some of the weight off my body to keep the bones and joints in better shape. as I age.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:29 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
So, I have finallllyyy been able to prove that if you watch your caloric intake, the scale will move! I really do think that I'm blessed with one of those bodies that quickly responds to this. I know some people have a harder time, or some issue, or believe that a calorie is not a calorie, etc. And that may be true.

But me, this week, I've been eating ice cream, cheesecake, etc., BUT I have eaten no more than 1600 calories in a day and I have finally lost about 3 pounds (the analog scale was saying around 160-161 for the longest time, and now it's saying 157-158!

Figure out how many calories YOUR body needs and eat that! It works!

P.S. When I started counting calories, one year ago, I was 184 on the analog scale.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:50 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Good work!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
So, I have finallllyyy been able to prove that if you watch your caloric intake, the scale will move! I really do think that I'm blessed with one of those bodies that quickly responds to this. I know some people have a harder time, or some issue, or believe that a calorie is not a calorie, etc. And that may be true.

But me, this week, I've been eating ice cream, cheesecake, etc., BUT I have eaten no more than 1600 calories in a day and I have finally lost about 3 pounds (the analog scale was saying around 160-161 for the longest time, and now it's saying 157-158!

P.S. When I started counting calories, one year ago, I was 184 on the analog scale.

Good job. It's coming off, it's just not coming off as fast as I would like. It seems as if the scale just stays and stays on one number and then BAM, one day it goes down three pounds. Then the cycle begins again.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:23 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times
Congrats Ms Annie on the weightloss!!

Don't give up. Keep an eye on calorie consumption. Keep moving. Maybe invest in a digital scale. I have used one now for at least 20 years. The weight comes off and stays off if I behave myself

Right now, we are enjoying fresh picked peaches. The scale has moved back up. Minor amount. But just because a person needs to lose weight, is no reason to go without. Just work it into your daily count.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:33 PM

This is funny. I came across a copy of a set of exercises from a magazine from back in the 90s. They are quick and I can do them in about ten minutes in the morning. The headline of the article reads, "Look ten years younger in one month doing these three times a week!"

So I started doing them, and have pretty much followed the routine three or four days a week. The other day I saw someone at work I haven't seen in a while, and he said, "What have you been doing to yourself? You look ten years younger!"

Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I am 34 and played football but its hard to lose weight I used to be like a rail at 6'3 190 but i am now like 6'3 220 and have to work out 5 times a week to stay in shape now, I used to be able to eat anything and stay in shape, I have to watch my diet now this sucks

Old 07-10-2015, 07:19 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:

Congrats on your weight loss! I'm glad you are being rewarded for your perseverance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss