Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:27 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

I have found that it is harder to lose weight after menopause. My doctor told me that women need 10% fewer calories for each decade after 30, so even if you eat the same things in moderation your whole life you will pack on weight.
Right now I have been on Atkins induction for about a month. I have only lost 7 pounds, but I feel like I can stay on it forever until I reach a good weight.
As other posters have said, keeping track online is an essential tool. I plug in everything I eat, so I don't go over my daily carbs, and fat and get enough protein. So many times, I discover foods that I might have thought were OK, but they would have sabotaged my day, so I avoid eating them.
There are many diets around, but the Atkins website is free, so that is where I keep track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 06:35 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
While I don't obsess about my weight too much (with an upper limit I will not cross), I do obsess about my clothing size.

My goal is to stay a size ten (up from the size eight I was in younger years).

To do this, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week (half hour on treadmill/a round of the machines), do yoga weekly and ride my bike when it's not too darned hot. And I run up ad down the stairs here at home dozens of times a day. Office is upstairs, kitchen, backyard, porch is down)

Portion control is what I'm working on, too. That can be hard. I like to cook, like to eat. Sometimes I use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate to fool my eye into thinking I have a loaded plate.

As someone else mentioned, a half a sandwich instead of a whole one. And if having pasta, trying to have half a portion with the balance a big leafy salad which fills me up with its bulk and fiber.

And water..making an effort to drink lots of water..it's filling with zero calories.

Not easy, maintaining weight/fitness during these older years. Seemed effortless before menopause. But I like being fit and healthy, so I plow ahead. Rather spend my money on good food than prescriptions and procedures.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
While I don't obsess about my weight too much (with an upper limit I will not cross), I do obsess about my clothing size.

My goal is to stay a size ten (up from the size eight I was in younger years).

To do this, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week (half hour on treadmill/a round of the machines), do yoga weekly and ride my bike when it's not too darned hot. And I run up ad down the stairs here at home dozens of times a day. Office is upstairs, kitchen, backyard, porch is down)

Portion control is what I'm working on, too. That can be hard. I like to cook, like to eat. Sometimes I use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate to fool my eye into thinking I have a loaded plate.

As someone else mentioned, a half a sandwich instead of a whole one. And if having pasta, trying to have half a portion with the balance a big leafy salad which fills me up with its bulk and fiber.

And water..making an effort to drink lots of water..it's filling with zero calories.

Not easy, maintaining weight/fitness during these older years. Seemed effortless before menopause. But I like being fit and healthy, so I plow ahead. Rather spend my money on good food than prescriptions and procedures.
Sizes are hard to judge with, since "vanity sizing" has been a thing for years. The size 10 you're wearing today, might actually have been the size 12 or even 14 that used to be too big on you 20 years ago.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:35 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sizes are hard to judge with, since "vanity sizing" has been a thing for years. The size 10 you're wearing today, might actually have been the size 12 or even 14 that used to be too big on you 20 years ago.
Any way to put a negative spin on a post.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yep, this is true...sometimes I can even get into a size 8 in a top designer brand, then I know it's an ego size 'cause no way am I a size 8 anymore...but find I can fit into just about all size 10's...

A big consignment store shopper, I aim to find lightly worn/never worn top brands. Currently liking Chico's a lot...nicely designed, interesting patterns/fabrics with a flattering fit for my older body...

I read recently that the average American woman now weighs 165 pounds (no age or height attached to that figure). This is something like 20 pounds heavier than 25 years earlier.

How do we compare to the average?

Are we average, less--or more?? Right now I'm 13 pounds less than average--and fighting hard to stay there.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep, this is true...sometimes I can even get into a size 8 in a top designer brand, then I know it's an ego size 'cause no way am I a size 8 anymore...but find I can fit into just about all size 10's...

A big consignment store shopper, I aim to find lightly worn/never worn top brands. Currently liking Chico's a lot...nicely designed, interesting patterns/fabrics with a flattering fit for my older body...

I read recently that the average American woman now weighs 165 pounds (no age or height attached to that figure). This is something like 20 pounds heavier than 25 years earlier.

How do we compare to the average?

Are we average, less--or more?? Right now I'm 13 pounds less than average--and fighting hard to stay there.
I'm close to the same as you Little Dolphin. And this past year I've had a few minor medical mishaps that prevented me from getting exercise, so a lot of the hard work I did for two years up until then, slid backward. I'm back at a new local gym, had a trainer help me re-design a routine for strength training and general fitness, and I'm back riding my bike and walking a lot now that the weather's warm and most of my medical issues are behind me (I had to go to the ER for a back strain, and my hip's gone out twice on me in the last year. It's an ongoing struggle but it never stopped me til those two particular times, and it lasted a few weeks each time).

I'll be needing surgery on my knee in the next two years and I'm SO not looking forward to another month of "weight-bearing only" movement.

My size 10s are snug, the 12s fit almost perfectly but I need to wear a belt on them or they start sliding down my hips. I have to wear petites, because I'm short and short-waisted. Normal sized clothing doesn't fit properly on the hips, and drags so much on the floor I'd have to pay someone to tailor them. If I have to pay extra to get something to fit me, then I'd be better off just finding something that fit me in the first place

Old 08-03-2015, 06:10 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I'm somewhat annoyed with myself. Did not reach the goal I set for my birthday; as a matter of fact, I'm six pounds over it. Grrr

It's no mystery. Over the past few weeks, people I haven't seen in years have been popping up left and right. It's kind of strange, actually, but a good thing. However, the renewed connections have meant a couple of unexpected barbecues, a Portuguese dinner, lunches out. Don't get me wrong. I didn't just say to hell with it and start stuffing my face, but I got off track with the calorie limitations I was adhering to before, plus the daily walk hasn't been daily. I didn't lose any more over the past three weeks, but I didn't gain, either.

Back on track, starting today.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm somewhat annoyed with myself. Did not reach the goal I set for my birthday; as a matter of fact, I'm six pounds over it. Grrr

It's no mystery. Over the past few weeks, people I haven't seen in years have been popping up left and right. It's kind of strange, actually, but a good thing. However, the renewed connections have meant a couple of unexpected barbecues, a Portuguese dinner, lunches out. Don't get me wrong. I didn't just say to hell with it and start stuffing my face, but I got off track with the calorie limitations I was adhering to before, plus the daily walk hasn't been daily. I didn't lose any more over the past three weeks, but I didn't gain, either.

Don't beat yourself up for it, congratulate yourself on how well you have done so far! It took me a long, long time to reach (and surpass) my goal weight, and once in awhile when it creeps up a pound or two I get concerned, but I just knock down the calories for a few days and make sure I get my exercise and it always levels out. It was a lot of hard work to get here, so I want to keep it under control.

Keep up the good work!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Over the past few weeks, people I haven't seen in years have been popping up left and right. It's kind of strange, actually, but a good thing.
Focus on this.

Quote:
I didn't lose any more over the past three weeks, but I didn't gain, either.
And this!

You have a good time, didn't gain weight, and got back on the wagon. Belated birthday wishes.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Quote:

The bolded means a lot. Read and re-read it. Happy Belated Birthday!

Mine is in 6 weeks and I am hoping to be around a certain number by then! But I know it will not be less than 5 lbs. from what I am now, I have to be realistic. In fact if it is 5 lbs. less than what I am now, that means I worked my ass off! Literally!

As far as sizes, I don't care about that vanity sizing nonsense. If my tag says 10, then I am a size 10, baby! Especially at Old Navy, that place is for the little'ns! I used to not step foot in it! In fact, I still don't! I get them from Goodwill! They are probably from people who gained weight and gave up. But here I am, taking their throwaways and wearing them and feeling absolutely awesome! Yep, I'm soon to be 48 and wearing size 10 Old Navys! My mom would be very, very proud. Weight was a big deal to her and she mostly only saw me be overweight. I know she is looking down on me right now, saying, I am so glad you decided to take weight loss seriously and work hard at it. And I know by watching her maintain her weight of 123 by eating like a bird that it was important to her. She didn't necessarily deprive herself, she just taught herself of way of eating that was sustainable for her. 1 poached egg in the morning with coffee, 1/2 sandwich at lunch, a protein and salad and starch for dinner and a small dessert (ice milk! - blech!) was good for her! She lived til 90 and her appetite was first to go and her desire to live life went last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss