Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:29 PM

8,037 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermolee View Post
count your calories, Exercise, eat more salads..
This doesn't work for everybody, especially middle-aged sedentary people. Exercise is great, but I found it just made me hungry and did nothing to get the weight off. Most salads are too high carb and not enough protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 05:33 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm close to your ate, I'm 54 and need to lose 15 to 18 pounds in the next two months. I am following basically a combination of Atkins protein diet with some Paleo type dishes. The weight is starting to come off - but slowly.

I hate to tell you this, but the one thing you may have to give up for awhile, and I have had to give it up in order to get the weight to start to come off, is the wine. And I HATE that because I miss my nightly glass. But alcohol really interferes with weight loss.
At 54 you will not lose 15 pounds in 8 weeks unless you have a really ramped up metabolism. If you did it would be a miracle. I am 53 and I gained ten pounds this past year and it is coming off a pound at a time. I am at the gym 4 to 5 days a week doing intense workouts and eating clean 1200 - 1400 calories a day.
I say this because nothing makes you more discouraged than hoping to lose a certain amount by a certain time and not see it happening and then get frustrated and give up.
It has taken me 5 weeks to lose 5 pounds so I figure I will be at my goal sometime after Thanksgiving.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:14 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
OP, I am your age and I lost 30 lbs last year and I've got to tell you that I didn't lose hardly any weight for the first few weeks. My theory is that if you're insulin resistant it will take some time to turn that train around and that you should stick with it for awhile longer. I did the ketogenic diet--very low carb. This past summer I did a 21 day complete fast and lost another 16 lbs that have stayed off but I don't think I would have lost that much weight if I hadn't already fixed my insulin resistance. The good thing about a fast is that it resets your metabolism and all those fears about gaining all the weight back and more, or ruining your metabolism are unfounded, since I'm still losing weight and I'm no longer on a ketogenic diet--I just eat less when I want to lose a few. Needless to say, I don't eat a lot. I would not recommend a fast for anyone who still has a job though--I'm a teacher and was off for the summer. I was pre-diabetic before I lost the weight but my last fasting glucose was 80.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
One thing. Stop eating so much. You'd be surprised how little you can get by on. Cut out all sugar and no fried foods. Eat nothing after 6 in the evening. Give you body time to burn off calories. A few years back. I lost 30 lbs. by doing just this. I dont need to eat near as much as I use too, and I no longer crave the foods I use to eat for decades. The pounds just melted away. It took about 3 or 4 months. Your brain wants what it has been having. We humans are a species of habit. You can change that. If you have a medical disorder, It might take a little more work in what you need to eat. There is that thin person in there.

Im back to wearing 34" jeans, and the're a little loose. Fasting does nothing. That food you shouldn't be eating is still on your brain's menu, and it wants it. You will have to give up things you like. Cant do that. It will make it tough. When loosing, I decided to give myself saturday to eat anything I wanted. After a few weeks and I could see myself loosing. I no longer wanted to eat whatever I wanted on saturdays. It was more of a habit and a craving. That are no longer there. After loosing, it is easy to maintain, once you know what NOT to eat.

Last edited by RcHydro; 10-18-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 10-18-2015, 10:54 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I don't understand how come it takes at least a week or two for me to lose a pound but I can gain 2 pounds in 24 hours.

Cat

Old 10-18-2015, 11:59 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I don't understand how come it takes at least a week or two for me to lose a pound but I can gain 2 pounds in 24 hours.

Cat
You are not gaining 2 lbs of fat in 24 hours unless you are gorging yourself with an obscene amount of food. You are retaining water, probably from salty food.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Fasting does nothing.
Fasting most certainly does do something. It sets your blood sugar to a much lower setpoint and causes you to go quickly into ketosis. It's not for everyone but it's not worthless and the health benefits are amazing and I've had several health issues just go poof. For someone who is really having trouble getting weight off, it may just be the impetus to get things going. I would not be able to do it and work however, unless it was a modified fast of some type.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Fasting most certainly does do something. It sets your blood sugar to a much lower setpoint and causes you to go quickly into ketosis. It's not for everyone but it's not worthless and the health benefits are amazing and I've had several health issues just go poof. For someone who is really having trouble getting weight off, it may just be the impetus to get things going. I would not be able to do it and work however, unless it was a modified fast of some type.
I agree with you on the fasting. Even a short fast like 24 hours can lop off 3 lbs which for me STAY OFF! And it definitely resets things in your body. It's good to give the body a break like this once in while, also.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm close to your ate, I'm 54 and need to lose 15 to 18 pounds in the next two months. I am following basically a combination of Atkins protein diet with some Paleo type dishes. The weight is starting to come off - but slowly.

I hate to tell you this, but the one thing you may have to give up for awhile, and I have had to give it up in order to get the weight to start to come off, is the wine. And I HATE that because I miss my nightly glass. But alcohol really interferes with weight loss.
Congratulations RM. I know about the wine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss