Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times

Advertisements

How many diets have you tried?

Enough to know diets that rely on will power to achieve success dont work,sooner or later you will slip back into your old habits.
What does work is lifestyle change,usually in combination with more focus on diet and exercise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 PM

41,749 posts, read 74,749,634 times
Other than low-carb and reduced calorie, I haven't tried any long-term diet plans. But remember some of the short-term diets, such as the Stewardess Diet, the Grapefruit Diet, or the Cabbage Soup Diet?

The cabbage soup recipe in the latter diet actually is quite good, and a good way to get in lots of vegetables. Just don't eat it for every meal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Enough to know diets that rely on will power to achieve success dont work,sooner or later you will slip back into your old habits.
What does work is lifestyle change,usually in combination with more focus on diet and exercise..
And it doesn't take willpower to make those lifestyle changes?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,768,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How many diets have you tried?

Willpower is needed to change one's habits. A lot of it. Even when one is fit it still takes willpower to maintain. I would rather lay in bed than get early and hit the gym. I would rather have 2 glasses of wine with a second helping of dinner. I would rather go out to lunch with friends than eat my PB&J. All those decisions allow me to maintain my body size and fitness level. Doing so allows me to splurge when I really want to knowing that I have to go back to being diligent.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:11 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,537,608 times
Yeah, I guess I'd have to agree that willpower is required to make lifestyle changes. This morning, I tried a new item I got, oatmeal squares cereal. It was not as filling as I'd hoped. So I had an egg, with provolone cheese on rye. Then I decided I wanted a cookie, because well, they're there. I talked myself out of a second cookie.

I'm now having coffee with creamer. Well crap, it's 11am and I've now had 800 calories. I'm definitely going to need willpower to only eat 600 more calories the rest of the day today!

This reminds me of many years ago when I'd say I was "dieting" and then I'd go to Taco Bell and get a burrito supreme and taco supreme. Ugggh, I'm such a dork!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,010,021 times
No "diet" here just a complete lifestyle change about 20 years ago that continues for the most part today.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM

15 posts, read 15,774 times
4 diets

- Low carb diet (A sticky on Bodybuilding forums)
- IIFYm diet (Learned it from Joseph rakich)
- Intermediate fasting (learning it from reading bodybuilding forum)
- The three week diet (Reviewyu.com, read a success story on it)

Iifym was probably my favorite diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss