Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:50 AM

1,098 posts, read 887,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Eating lots of ice cream and cheese will ultimately put the pounds on and leave you at risk for diabetes,
Whats the condition of your health at the moment? do you lead a sedentary lifestyle?.
While cheese and ice cream may be a nice once in a while treat when you start having large portions everyday i'd say you should address the issue as an addiction.
You might want to start a food journal or subscibe to a site like "My Fitness Pal" to keep track of just how much of this stuff you are actually eating.
I used to be in great shape. I'm not in shape anymore, I've only been lifting for about a week but I think If I can get into a rhythm I could be in great shape in 2 to 3 months. Right now, I want to lose 20-30 pounds (depending on how much muscle I can keep.)

I tried myfitness pal a few times but it's just too detailed and I don't really believe in counting every single calorie unless you're trying to get to a very low body fat.

I came up with a really cool excel sheet that works better for me--> basically I record 4 things > food, exercise, and sleep (all on a scale of 1-10 based on how well I think I did for that day) and then my weight.

I can make all sorts of nice graphs and color codes. It's fun.

Right now I'm at 215 and I'm hoping to be down to 190 by this time in May. I'm doing some heavy lifting so I don't plan on going below 190, I also don't expect the process to be slow (I want to keep as much muscle as possible)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:00 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,219,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
I wonder if you're actually allergic to milk? Not lactose intolerant, but actually allergic to milk. I recently found out I was allergic to milk and I had similar cravings to ice cream and cheese that you mention (ice cream more than cheese), plus, many people report having intense cravings for the thing they are allergic to. If you're curious, go for food allergy testing by a reputable allergist.
Exactly. I was going to say the same thing!

Old 12-12-2015, 05:58 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Some of them are actually are very healthy.
I would say the evidence suggests otherwise from several sources due to the many hazards of modern wheat. Our wheat that is consumed in the US is worse than varieties found in all the EU countries. If one needs fiber look at other sources that adequately fill the daily requirement.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I used to be in great shape. I'm not in shape anymore, I've only been lifting for about a week but I think If I can get into a rhythm I could be in great shape in 2 to 3 months. Right now, I want to lose 20-30 pounds (depending on how much muscle I can keep.)

I tried myfitness pal a few times but it's just too detailed and I don't really believe in counting every single calorie unless you're trying to get to a very low body fat.

I came up with a really cool excel sheet that works better for me--> basically I record 4 things > food, exercise, and sleep (all on a scale of 1-10 based on how well I think I did for that day) and then my weight.

I can make all sorts of nice graphs and color codes. It's fun.

Right now I'm at 215 and I'm hoping to be down to 190 by this time in May. I'm doing some heavy lifting so I don't plan on going below 190, I also don't expect the process to be slow (I want to keep as much muscle as possible)
Eliminate wheat from your diet and you will be pretty much guarantee some easy weight loss right of the bat. That was the case for me and many people that I know.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:23 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,442,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
I wonder if you're actually allergic to milk? Not lactose intolerant, but actually allergic to milk. I recently found out I was allergic to milk and I had similar cravings to ice cream and cheese that you mention (ice cream more than cheese), plus, many people report having intense cravings for the thing they are allergic to. If you're curious, go for food allergy testing by a reputable allergist.
That's what it was for me. ALLERGIC (not lactose intolerant) to the protein in milk. I lived on cheddar cheese (bought huge blocks of it), milk, ice cream, yogurt, cream cheese, cheesecake, etc. I ate normal meals but these were my snacks and cravings. I was always bloated and had blocked sinuses. No doctor ever suggested allergy testing until I got really really sick after decades of dairy cravings.

I learned that your body can crave what it is allergic to. Not 100% that's your problem; it could be just a carb craving, but it's worth a try to get tested for food allergies.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's what it was for me. ALLERGIC (not lactose intolerant) to the protein in milk. I lived on cheddar cheese (bought huge blocks of it), milk, ice cream, yogurt, cream cheese, cheesecake, etc. I ate normal meals but these were my snacks and cravings. I was always bloated and had blocked sinuses. No doctor ever suggested allergy testing until I got really really sick after decades of dairy cravings.

I learned that your body can crave what it is allergic to. Not 100% that's your problem; it could be just a carb craving, but it's worth a try to get tested for food allergies.
That's really interesting, I wonder why. As much as I enjoy carbs and sugar I really don't think that's the problem. Sometimes I have intense cravings for just a plain block of cheese which has zero carbs. I never really get the same desire for carbs (unless there's dairy involved--> pizza, ice cream, mac& cheese) I think it's the casomorphin or as you just brought up maybe I'm allergic to the protein in milk. Either way, it's pretty obvious that I have some kind of problem.

Did you just cut dairy out cold turkey? Do you not crave dairy anymore?

Old 12-13-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Eliminate wheat from your diet and you will be pretty much guarantee some easy weight loss right of the bat. That was the case for me and many people that I know.
I was paleo in college and weight loss was effortless. I got down to 175 which is actually more skinny than I'd like to be.

I'm going to try paleo as a base, but add rice, potatoes and beans.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:03 AM

26,637 posts, read 28,442,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
That's really interesting, I wonder why. As much as I enjoy carbs and sugar I really don't think that's the problem. Sometimes I have intense cravings for just a plain block of cheese which has zero carbs. I never really get the same desire for carbs (unless there's dairy involved--> pizza, ice cream, mac& cheese) I think it's the casomorphin or as you just brought up maybe I'm allergic to the protein in milk. Either way, it's pretty obvious that I have some kind of problem.

Did you just cut dairy out cold turkey? Do you not crave dairy anymore?
I stopped dairy completely when the allergist's office called and told me I was extremely allergic and to never have it again for the rest of my life. I drink rice milk, almond milk, etc. and cook with them too. They taste fine to me now and it would never even occur to me to drink milk even though I was a great milk drinker.

Now, every once in a while I'll eat ice cream--problem is, even now, I can't eat one dish of ice cream. I can't stop at one. I still miss cottage cheese, yogurt, and it's annoying how restaurants seem to use cheese in everything. If you're eating out it's hard to avoid. I have found dairy free pizza though. No, I do not crave dairy anymore except when I eat a little bit of it. That seems to open the gate and I want more and more and more. It's as if nothing else matters.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No, I do not crave dairy anymore except when I eat a little bit of it. That seems to open the gate and I want more and more and more. It's as if nothing else matters.
that sounds exactly like where I'm at.

How do you avoid a binge when you eat a little bit of dairy? Will power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss