Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 08:04 AM

15,604 posts, read 7,621,089 times

Advertisements

In March my office went remote due to the pandemic. I started working from home on March 11th. Work required me to walk quite a bit from the train station to the office. I also had a gym in my office that i was going to at lunch. I was 127 lbs last March and I'm now 144. I am very alarmed by this weight gain.

We recently purchased an eliptical and a peloton. I basically had done no exercise other than short walks with kids and dog until 2 weeks ago. I have to say that with working from home and taking care of a 4 year old and 6 year all day (no school or camp over the summer) there's little time to go for walks. I couldnt join a gym because I dont feel comfortable doing that now with corona.

I just cant seem to lose any weight. Also my weight seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Last week there was a day where i weighed 139. Then a few days later it's 144. I have felt pretty defeated ever since the scale hit 140. I've never weighed so much in my life other than when i was pregnant. I dont feel like I eat terribly but I do occasionally over indulge and eat too much. The other thing I do more of now is drink alcohol. In the evening i find myself mixing vokda and lemonade. I think this causes me to snack more.

Life is pretty boring right now I guess you could say, but I'm so disgusted with myself. I'm at the point where I would be willing to be unhealthy to lose weight. I just can't stop myself from eating, a fast is out of the question. I think about food a lot, watch food videos lol. I envy skinny people who don't care much about food. I just see myself getting bigger and bigger if this doesn't stop. I'm hoping the elliptical helps out, but Ive had it for two weeks and nothing has changed weight wise. I'm 42 years old, I guess I'll never be 120 again, but i was at that weight after having kids not terribly long ago. I'd be happy with being 130 right now.

My family has also made comments about my weight-husband, mother and father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,093,605 times
Try to cut out most of the drinking, other than maybe Friday nights and special occasions. That'll cut empty calories without too much effort.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 PM

3,002 posts, read 2,319,423 times
You won't burn fat as long as there's alcohol (OR sugar from lemonade) in your system. Ditch the cocktails for a calorie-free beverage and see what happens.

Exercise has its benefits, but it probably won't contribute much to weight loss.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:25 AM

21,625 posts, read 24,761,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You won't burn fat as long as there's alcohol (OR sugar from lemonade) in your system. Ditch the cocktails for a calorie-free beverage and see what happens.

Exercise has its benefits, but it probably won't contribute much to weight loss.
Hogwash. Calories are calories. Of course, sugar and alcohol both have calories plus a lot of people get munchies and make poor choices when imbibing be they food or otherwise.

It's a lot harder to lose weight than gain it for most people. Sounds like you're at the stage where you've identified that your lifestyle has negative consequences but haven't yet decided to change your lifestyle. Just up to you. You've put on 17 pounds since March. Identifying that you don't like the consequences of lifestyle when it's 17 pounds instead of 50 pounds or 100 pounds or more is better than some people do. You just need to decide whether you'd prefer to be 160 in another ten months or make changes to your lifestyle. Really it's that simple but it is a rock and a hard place. You don't want to be 160 pounds in ten months and you don't want to change your lifestyle. No real wrong answer to that, just what you need to decide for yourself.

When I ate myself fat and wasn't getting enough exercise, I didn't really worry about the weight right away. Cut way back on my drinking, actually hit the gym three days a week and cardio four days for a couple months before I addressed the diet. I didn't lose any weight but I stopped gaining and felt a lot better. But really I didn't care that much about the weight. It was annoying that my fat gut made some of things I liked to do like ride sport bikes difficult and made riding a bicycle uphill depressing to lug an extra 50 pounds but that's really what bothered me about it and not body image.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:48 AM

798 posts, read 494,902 times
Lemonade mixed with Vodka equals sugar. Cut out the lemonade and use fresh lemons and stevia instead.

Try to intake less than 15 grams of sugar per day and less than 120 carbs per day

Old 10-27-2020, 03:46 AM

313 posts, read 261,816 times
Remember many years ago when Oprah lost so much weight? She said after eating dinner, eat nothing else each day. "Not even one grape", she said.
She said if this is the only change you make, you'll see a difference. Eat/snack normally during the day. Just stop at 5 or 6. Drink water or 0 calorie drinks at night. Alcohol makes people hungry. Drink it before or during dinner.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:26 AM

43 posts, read 34,187 times
Your desire to change is already a step toward success. The main thing is not to lose this fuse. It will sound trite, but try meditation to keep your mind clean. If you have obsessive thoughts about food, it's bad, you need to occupy yourself with something.
Talk to your family, explain that their words hurt you, not help. Also agree that they will support you, help with your food and training. Everything will work out!

Old 10-27-2020, 09:44 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,167,202 times
I've also gained weight since the pandemic. I was 126 back in March and now I'm 138. I've only gone to the gym a few times since March and I never felt safe there from Covid so I stopped going for now. Plus in the beginning I was eating out of boredom. Maybe now that it's finally cooling off a little I can start walking outside until this damn virus is gone.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:30 AM

15,604 posts, read 7,621,089 times
Thanks all. I really think alcohol is what I need to give up, at least during the week. I feel better when I dont drink it. I almost wonder if I'm an alcoholic at this point. Last night I didnt even WANT the damn vodka and lemonade but I had it anyways. I had some cheese and crackers, didnt go too overboard, but I'd already had a filling dinner.

I NEVER used to keep alcohol in the house, i barely drank ever! My DH last march brought alcohol into the house and i was like yay this is great. So much cheaper than getting a drink at a restaurant. It really seems to be messing up my life though.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:01 PM

3,002 posts, read 2,319,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hogwash. Calories are calories. Of course, sugar and alcohol both have calories plus a lot of people get munchies and make poor choices when imbibing be they food or otherwise.
Different sources of calories are digested differently and have different hormonal effects. Sugar raises blood glucose and triggers an insulin response that, in some people, causes hunger an hour or two later. Fat and protein have little to no effect in that area.

Gram for gram, 80-proof vodka and sugar have far fewer calories than fat.

I do agree that people are more likely to make poor choices of every kind after too much alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss