Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

I TRY, wow, most of the time it is not a problem totally avoiding sugar.

I really don't like sugar added to anything I eat/drink. I don't care for much of the sugary stuff, such as: ice-cream, whipping-cream, most pies, cheap and junky pastries, cheap candy, soda.

Things like good quality chocolate, donuts, cake........it calls to me at times.

I ate a good sized box of yummmmmeeee chocolates for thanksgiving. It initially went down fine. But it must have lowered my immune system quite a bit, the next day I felt like cr@9, flu-like symptoms coming on....I am still trying to fight it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
Ok, I decided to go for it. Cold turkey. It's been 6 hours and I'm already getting cranky...

My question is, where do you get the carbs to maintain your energy level?

I do a lot of dance and yoga (amateur but A LOT) so I can't survive on fruits and veggies and nuts alone. I'm vegan, so meat and dairy is not an option.

Any ideas?

Also, what about "superfoods" like raw cocoa, dark chocolate, goji berries, etc? Allegedly they are good for you but since it's sugar do the pros outweigh the cons?

Last edited by Flavia84; 12-03-2015 at 11:54 PM..

Old 12-04-2015, 02:19 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
I'm rooting for you Flavia. Cold turkey can be rough.

After years of at least 2 liters of diet pepsi daily, I decided one day to quit. I'm going on three years dp-free. Amazingly I have no craving for it whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I TRY, wow, most of the time it is not a problem totally avoiding sugar.

I really don't like sugar added to anything I eat/drink. I don't care for much of the sugary stuff, such as: ice-cream, whipping-cream, most pies, cheap and junky pastries, cheap candy, soda.

Things like good quality chocolate, donuts, cake........it calls to me at times.
My battle is with everything highlighted above. I'll pick up 2 - 1.5qt containers of ice cream weekly and if they last 2.5 days it's a miracle. They're usually gone in less than 2. I thought giving up soda would be harder, but it was a breeze compared to this other stuff. Maybe my 'why' isn't big enough.

Quote:
I ate a good sized box of yummmmmeeee chocolates for thanksgiving. It initially went down fine. But it must have lowered my immune system quite a bit, the next day I felt like cr@9, flu-like symptoms coming on....I am still trying to fight it off.
One day I ate a box of Good and Plenty and a bag of Twizzlers at the same time and one of fingers started to itch then swell. Afterwards, I felt just like tickyul describes above. Thing is, I feel the same when I go without sugar for more than 3 days. Maybe it's all in my head.

Tickyul, I hope you feel better soon.

Good luck Flavia

Old 12-04-2015, 02:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post

I do a lot of dance and yoga (amateur but A LOT) so I can't survive on fruits and veggies and nuts alone. I'm vegan, so meat and dairy is not an option.
I'm sure your carbs will come from the nuts and fruit you eat perhaps add more rice and beans to your diet, as you are a vegan you might ask the same question on a vegan message board as there are many vagans out there who get by on the vegan diet.
Good luck on your choice to give up sugar,theres nothing of value physically in the consumption of raw sugar or products made with the stuff,its akin to dietary crack.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
From an article:

When eating carbs always try to choose foods as close to their natural state as possible. For example:
  • A piece of fruit is better than fruit juice.
  • A whole potato is better than pasta.
  • Steel cut oats are better than oat flake cereal.
  • Brown rice is better than white rice.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:15 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Good Sources of Carbohydrate

Vegetables (all kinds)

Old 12-04-2015, 12:31 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
My battle is with everything highlighted above. I'll pick up 2 - 1.5qt containers of ice cream weekly and if they last 2.5 days it's a miracle. They're usually gone in less than 2. I thought giving up soda would be harder, but it was a breeze compared to this other stuff. Maybe my 'why' isn't big enough.
A word of warning that you may or may not even need, if you continue on this course you will be a diabetic. Not a matter of if but when. One of the pancreas' function is to produce insulin to regulate blood sugar but with this type of barrage day in and day out, it will eventually fail. The result will be Type 2 diabetes. It is an epidemic and becoming worse.

As for quitting sugar cold turkey, sugar it is not physically addictive as far as I know. Psychologically I am sure it is. From a diabetic prospective, carbs are carbs. White flour will raise your blood sugar as much as whole wheat. Carbohydrates are made up of glucose molecules. Flour IS sugar. Potatoes even though they offer nutrition such as potassium and vitamins are just as bad. Fruit of course is healthy but the sugar in fruit is no better than plain sugar when we talk about the effects on Blood glucose. You body does not know the difference. In any case this is not a thread about diabetics and sugar. Most non-diabetics can tolerate sugars well in the short term but in the long term they cause devastating health problems.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:24 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Ok, I decided to go for it. Cold turkey. It's been 6 hours and I'm already getting cranky...

Any ideas?

Also, what about "superfoods" like raw cocoa, dark chocolate, goji berries, etc? Allegedly they are good for you but since it's sugar do the pros outweigh the cons?
I eat a low carb diet and after a period of adaptation I am able to function well without the carbs. As a vegan you probably have to eat more carbs than I eat but I would think you could eat beans without adding sugar.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:42 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
it's been 25 hours since I went cold turkey and so far so good.

In the evening after dinner it was a bit tough without the traditional dessert but I replaced it with fruit and did just fine. Plenty of energy today.

I'm keeping it up!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:23 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
it's been 25 hours since I went cold turkey and so far so good.

In the evening after dinner it was a bit tough without the traditional dessert but I replaced it with fruit and did just fine. Plenty of energy today.

I'm keeping it up!
Great! just you wait to reap the benefits from doing this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss