Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times

Advertisements

As the title implies, time is at a minimum. I have gained ten pounds this year since starting school.

I am formerly obese and am terrified of putting the weight back on.

Current weight 165

Highest weight 218

Lowest weight 152

Day starts at 6am and ends at midnight.

No exercise currently.

Diet is whatever fast I can throw together.

I usually depend on takeout.

Anyone in the same boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I'm not in the same boat, but I did recently realize that all my pants were tight and could no longer deny that I was about 7 pounds over my happy weight of 145.

So I started SparkPeople again, which is how I lost weight about 5 years ago. It's basically a calorie-counting app.

As you know since you lost the weight before, the only way to do it is to do it. I have a couple of quick go-to breakfasts that I eat (two scrambled eggs and a piece of toast is one; English muffin and a tablespoon of peanut butter is another) and often have a frozen something-or-other for lunch. They're always full of sodium, but you can find them in the 300-400 calorie range and some have quite a bit of protein. Snacks are fruit or carrots and grape tomatoes. Dinner depends on how many calories I have left, but it's usually some sort of chicken or fish and vegetables.

If that all sounds like too much, concentrate on eating anything but fast food and drinking nothing but water, unsweet or barely sweet tea and coffee.

I'm hungry all the time but that's just part of it, at least for now. I thought about waiting til after the holidays but didn't want to put on any more weight. There's a platter and a basket of homemade baked goods in the common area of our office but I haven't had any and I'm not going to. It's difficult, but I hate that roll of fat around my middle. All you have to do is DECIDE that you're going to do it and you'll be fine.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:38 AM

When I lost weight before I wasn't t in school and had all the time in the world to cook, work out, etc.

Just do it won't work. I need ideas, lol. I have to factor in stress and my tendency to emotionally eat, lack of sleep, limited time to cook and work out.

If I don't work around my current lifestyle I will continue to gain.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I understand what you're saying, but biochemistry is biochemistry. You have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight, but you already know that. Whatever you did before is what you have to do again, even if you don't have as much time and are stressed.

If you're a breakfast eater, figure out some 300 calorie satisfying breakfasts that you can make in 15 mins. I described 2 above. Prepare your snacks and lunch items right after you eat breakfast. If you don't have snack-size plastic containers with lids, get some. Fill them with baby carrots, little tomatoes, grapes, berries, celery or whatever you like and put them in your backpack. Take some little tubs of peanut butter and string cheese. Stick a frozen, microwaveable lunch in a plastic bag and take it too. Go to the store on the weekend and read a bunch of labels so you get the most nutritional bang for your buck. It's not a perfect solution and someone is sure to come on here and say they suck for all kinds of reasons, but a 400-calorie Amy's enchilada bowl beats the heck out of a 1,000-calorie fast food burger and fries.

If you're still away from your house at dinner time that's going to be tough, because it's difficult to carry all your food for a day with you. If you get takeout, stick to lean meat and fresh vegetables. No fried stuff and be wary of cheese, croutons and salad dressing. If you go home it's much easier. Keep chicken breasts in the fridge, cook one up in a skillet and eat half a bag salad.

In the end, Mocha, it's still the choices you make every day. I do understand stress and lack of time, but if you're looking at several years of school, you have to learn to deal with it now. If you don't and you gain 10 lbs. a semester....you could be 80 pounds heavier when you're finished.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:05 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
When I lost weight before I wasn't t in school and had all the time in the world to cook, work out, etc.

Just do it won't work. I need ideas, lol. I have to factor in stress and my tendency to emotionally eat, lack of sleep, limited time to cook and work out.

You can alleviate stress through a good diet and exercise. I do not envy your position but it sounds like you need to do some serious prioritizing and focus on time management. Complaining about your schedule and food that you eat will not make things happen for you. You have to actively make the changes.
I would suggest getting up 30 minutes earlier to get in a run/walk/cycle/video workout/class/whatever. Its only 30 minutes, I am sure you can mange that.
Shop for foods that are easy to prepare and focus on fruit and veggies to snack on. When you have time to cook make a big pot of turkey chili, or veggie soup, cook a whole chicken and piece it out. There are ways you can do this but they take work and commitment.
Losing weight is NEVER easy. You either want to lose it and will find a way, or you will make excuses and complain that its too hard. Sorry for the tough love, but excuses do not produce results.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I understand what you're saying, but biochemistry is biochemistry. You have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight, but you already know that. Whatever you did before is what you have to do again, even if you don't have as much time and are stressed.

If you're a breakfast eater, figure out some 300 calorie satisfying breakfasts that you can make in 15 mins. I described 2 above. Prepare your snacks and lunch items right after you eat breakfast. If you don't have snack-size plastic containers with lids, get some. Fill them with baby carrots, little tomatoes, grapes, berries, celery or whatever you like and put them in your backpack. Take some little tubs of peanut butter and string cheese. Stick a frozen, microwaveable lunch in a plastic bag and take it too. Go to the store on the weekend and read a bunch of labels so you get the most nutritional bang for your buck. It's not a perfect solution and someone is sure to come on here and say they suck for all kinds of reasons, but a 400-calorie Amy's enchilada bowl beats the heck out of a 1,000-calorie fast food burger and fries.

If you're still away from your house at dinner time that's going to be tough, because it's difficult to carry all your food for a day with you. If you get takeout, stick to lean meat and fresh vegetables. No fried stuff and be wary of cheese, croutons and salad dressing. If you go home it's much easier. Keep chicken breasts in the fridge, cook one up in a skillet and eat half a bag salad.

In the end, Mocha, it's still the choices you make every day. I do understand stress and lack of time, but if you're looking at several years of school, you have to learn to deal with it now. If you don't and you gain 10 lbs. a semester....you could be 80 pounds heavier when you're finished.
Thanks Marlow.

To give more information, I leave home at 650am and don't return until 10pm. We cannot eat meals in class but we can snack.

I am on winter break and I am brainstorming to see if I can nip this in the bud now.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You can alleviate stress through a good diet and exercise. I do not envy your position but it sounds like you need to do some serious prioritizing and focus on time management. Complaining about your schedule and food that you eat will not make things happen for you. You have to actively make the changes.
I would suggest getting up 30 minutes earlier to get in a run/walk/cycle/video workout/class/whatever. Its only 30 minutes, I am sure you can mange that.
Shop for foods that are easy to prepare and focus on fruit and veggies to snack on. When you have time to cook make a big pot of turkey chili, or veggie soup, cook a whole chicken and piece it out. There are ways you can do this but they take work and commitment.
Losing weight is NEVER easy. You either want to lose it and will find a way, or you will make excuses and complain that its too hard. Sorry for the tough love, but excuses do not produce results.
You are speaking to me as if I have never lost weight before.

I have gotten results before I need to do so now.

I asked if anyone who has been there could give me suggestions for a reason.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
You are speaking to me as if I have never lost weight before.

I have gotten results before I need to do so now.

I asked if anyone who has been there could give me suggestions for a reason.
And I gave you suggestions. Whether you choose to take them or not is your business.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 AM

96 posts, read 78,375 times
If I were in your situation, I'd focus on food. Food is relatively easy to control. I get that you don't have much time. I remember almost full time school paired withe almost full time work and feeling like I had no time. I spent time on the weekends cooking or preparing food for the week. If I have healthy food easily available, 9 times out of 10 I will eat it.

You say you can snack in class. So, find some healthy snacks. No more chips, or store bought granola bars. On the weekends, make your own granola bars. There are super easy recipes readily available on line. Take carrots and celery or other cut up veggies with you to much on. Take bananas or apples.

Good luck you can do!

Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
WEight loss/maintenance for a full time employee/student.

As the title implies, time is at a minimum. I have gained ten pounds this year since starting school.

I am formerly obese and am terrified of putting the weight back on.

Current weight 165

Highest weight 218

Lowest weight 152

Day starts at 6am and ends at midnight.

No exercise currently.

Diet is whatever fast I can throw together.

I usually depend on takeout.

Anyone in the same boat?
I've been in that boat before twice (as a student when younger, and as a stay-at-home-dad who also worked fulltime from home while studying).

Go to 99 Cent/Dollar store or even Walmart and buy yourself some of those plastic tupperware lunch containers that have sections for different foods. Something like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c90aee4bb4.jpg and also get box ziploc sandwich bags.

Then got to Trader Joes and/or Ralphs and get:

2 Boxes frozen jasmine or brown rice (each box has 3 bags of rice that cooks in 3 min)
Bag frozen boneless chicken breasts
Baby leaf spinach
Asparagus
Avocado
Whole wheat bread
Almond butter - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ond_butter.JPG
low sugar jelly
Box Quaker old fashion oats - http://www.meijer.com/assets/product...2000_A_400.jpg
Bag of Reduced sugar Craisins (50% less sugar)
Bananas
Box of cuties (20+ cuties in one box)

On Sunday night (or whatever night you have the most time) cook 2 bags of rice, 6 pcs chicken, separate evenly into 6 containers, then place veg of your choice into the other two sections. Put in fridge and you now have 6 meals (lunch/dinner) prepared that would last 2-3 days. Make more if you like. Take with you in backpack or bag. I would always cut up my chicken breasts into bite sized pieces for easier (i.e., faster) eating.

Wake up 5-10 minutes early, place amount of oatmeal in bowl, add water or milk, microwave for 1 min; stir, the another 1 minute. Add craisins and this is breakfast.

Have banana, cutie, or almond butter and jelly sandwich as snack.

While this may not be the most healthy way to eat, it isnt necessarily UNHEALTHY and makes life a lot less stressful when it comes to eating. This worked tremendously for me and could work just as well for you.

This should put you at about 1300-1500 calories per day which is what I normally eat (as a 6' 1" 175lb dude) when I want to lose bodyfat % but I also find time to do some kind of exercise during the day, even if its a Tabata which is 4 minute workout before bed.

In fact, I HIGHLY suggest you add in a tabata workout either right when you wake up, or some other time during the day. Its only 4 minutes long, and you dont need any equipment to do it. Just do tabata squats or pushups or situps or mountain climbers. Just make sure you do it FULL OUT which is what is required. I guarantee you will not only LOSE weight, but you'll improve your fitness levels tremendously.

Quote:

We can all give you the best and greatest advice ever given, but if you are unable to control this part in red, you are destined for FAILURE!!! Also, if you are one of those people who complain that you need "variety" in your foods, or that you'll "get bored" the same thing, then you will also fail. You'll need to find the happy medium, or you will swell up bigger than you were before.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 12-16-2015 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss