Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM

698 posts, read 985,288 times

Advertisements

First five days I did a juice cleanse, sixth day I transitioned to juice + one meal a day with that meal being primarily plant based or vegan. First 7 days I lost 15 lbs., 11 days in I'm still sitting at 15 lbs.

My daily calorie intake is around 1,200 a day, I'm burning 400 calories a day at the gym, drinking 10+ glasses of water per day and getting plenty of sleep.

Only thing I can think of is losing the 15 lbs of weight the first week, much of it was water weight. As I switched back to one meal a day I'm gaining water weight back and losing weight at the same rate I'm losing "real weight" and thus the two are canceling each other out. Reason I say this is my clothes are fitting differently and you can see the weight loss and my stomach is getting flatter.

Staying course but would like to see the needle move just a little more. Any thoughts here?

EDIT: Thought I would add I have a ton of energy, I'm sleeping great and requiring less sleep, wife says I've all but stopped snoring and when I come home from the gym, I still have so much energy that collapsing in front of the television is not an option for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:34 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Yes, significant amounts of water weight, glycogen (stored carbohydrate) loss, and some muscle mass would be lost. You would regain some of this when you start to eat again.

1-2 lbs is about all the fat you would be able to lose in a week, so the rest would come from the above.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 AM

That's what I was thinking.

The cleanse was a great way to kick things off, kind of reset. Liked juicing so much I think I'll continue for life.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
First off 'cleanses' is a misnomer. They are not 'cleaning' you. You may poop more, but for the most part you are doing a juice fast.
You lost a lot of water and maybe a bit of fat. Now your body is trying to adjust to the sudden drop of weight by retaining. It is not uncommon to lose a decent amount of weight one week and then none the next. Weight loss is not linear.
Aim for 1 - 2 pounds a week. Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will start to come off. Patience and perseverance are the 2 most important aspects to dieting.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
First off 'cleanses' is a misnomer. They are not 'cleaning' you. You may poop more, but for the most part you are doing a juice fast.
You lost a lot of water and maybe a bit of fat. Now your body is trying to adjust to the sudden drop of weight by retaining. It is not uncommon to lose a decent amount of weight one week and then none the next. Weight loss is not linear.
Aim for 1 - 2 pounds a week. Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will start to come off. Patience and perseverance are the 2 most important aspects to dieting.
One of the things I've been wondering is if I'm I'm hurting my weight loss by juicing for two meals and then eating one meal? Wondering if would I be better off just eating three healthy or five/six small healthy meals.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:18 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,864 times
Other folks may have different preferences, but I find solid food and hot meals more filling and satisfying than just drinking juice. I've been losing 2 pounds a week on my diet but still manage to have 2 decent meals a day plus usually either a light breakfast or snack later in the day.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
One of the things I've been wondering is if I'm I'm hurting my weight loss by juicing for two meals and then eating one meal? Wondering if would I be better off just eating three healthy or five/six small healthy meals.
I do not think you are hurting your weight loss by juicing 2 meals, depending on the calorie content of the juicing. Personally I prefer to chew my meals. The bottom line is calories in vs calories out.
After that first big loss it may take another week before the actual fat loss starts showing on the scale.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:56 AM

7,427 posts, read 4,671,611 times
I too have lost weight of 15 lbs but it took me 7 months.

This year this is my diet : High Protein; Medium Carb; Low Fat

Breakfast is oatmeal alternating with wheat.

Lunch (at work) is KFC 2-pc grilled chicken with green beans at the side. I eat the bread that comes with the meal but I toss out the cookie (sugar/carb) that also comes with the meal into the trash.

Dinner and weekends I prepare chicken red meat and fish for high protein, half cup of steamed rice for medium carbohydrates, and vegetables (asparagus, eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini) for low fat healthy foods.

I work out 3x in a gym to burn residual fat. Because of my age, I keep a balanced light cardio and light lifting so as not to tax my heart too much and also strain my body that may cause injuries.

Because of the workout, I am compelled to drink more water and juice.

For snacks, I eat fruits (bananas, cantaloupes) alternated with Van Crump's pork and beans.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I too have lost weight of 15 lbs but it took me 7 months.

This year this is my diet : High Protein; Medium Carb; Low Fat

Breakfast is oatmeal alternating with wheat.

Lunch (at work) is KFC 2-pc grilled chicken with green beans at the side. I eat the bread that comes with the meal but I toss out the cookie (sugar/carb) that also comes with the meal into the trash.

Dinner and weekends I prepare chicken red meat and fish for high protein, half cup of steamed rice for medium carbohydrates, and vegetables (asparagus, eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini) for low fat healthy foods.

I work out 3x in a gym to burn residual fat. Because of my age, I keep a balanced light cardio and light lifting so as not to tax my heart too much and also strain my body that may cause injuries.

Because of the workout, I am compelled to drink more water and juice.

For snacks, I eat fruits (bananas, cantaloupes) alternated with Van Crump's pork and beans.
May I ask how old you are?
Also why not prepare extra food on the weekends to take to work? Cheaper and much, much, much healthier than anything you can get at KFC.
Also you can make a pot of pork and beans and control the fat and sodium content. Another good option for work food, if you add some veggies.
Skip the juice if you can. It offers too many calories for any actual benefit.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:59 PM

7,427 posts, read 4,671,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
May I ask how old you are?
Also why not prepare extra food on the weekends to take to work? Cheaper and much, much, much healthier than anything you can get at KFC.
Also you can make a pot of pork and beans and control the fat and sodium content. Another good option for work food, if you add some veggies.
Skip the juice if you can. It offers too many calories for any actual benefit.
I'm 43.

How do you make the pot of pork and beans with veggies?

I forgot to mention another snack I alternate with is canned olive oiled tuna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss