Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:38 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times

Advertisements

This is on my list now too! Now I've got My 600 Lb. Life, Biggest Loser, My Diet is Better Than Yours....

But the premise is pretty dumb in my opinion. Gaining 60 pounds on purpose? Come on, that's just crazy. But oh well, we couch potatoes need something to watch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 03:39 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I kind of like the premise, but I don't think it's realistic. There is a difference between forcing yourself to gain 60 pounds and having a true addiction to food. It's like if I decided to get drunk every night for 2 months. Sure, I know I'd feel like hell, which would only make me happier to go back to normal for me. So that 2 months does not in any way make me know what it's like to be an alcoholic.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 AM

I really enjoyed last night's show. Not gonna lie, the trainer was easy on the eyes, lol. But what he said in the beginning kind of blew my hair back, despite the fact that what he said has been said here many times. (and I do believe it).

He went on national TV and stated confidently, "There is not one person on the planet who if they eat less, they will not lose weight."

Well, I have a friend who has lost 100 lbs. in the past and of course she knows how she did it. Then now, in her mid 40s, has gained it back and was having trouble losing. Her body was having some health issues and she found that there were many random foods she could not eat. Her body would not tolerate them. Even broccoli. So she was on this very limited diet of foods she could eat and was not losing weight. Hmmm. I just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then she went on Weight Watchers and is now losing. So she now says that she believes her body was in "starvation mode." My theory is she was secretively binging on naughty foods that her body could tolerate.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I really enjoyed last night's show. Not gonna lie, the trainer was easy on the eyes, lol. But what he said in the beginning kind of blew my hair back, despite the fact that what he said has been said here many times. (and I do believe it).

He went on national TV and stated confidently, "There is not one person on the planet who if they eat less, they will not lose weight."

Well, I have a friend who has lost 100 lbs. in the past and of course she knows how she did it. Then now, in her mid 40s, has gained it back and was having trouble losing. Her body was having some health issues and she found that there were many random foods she could not eat. Her body would not tolerate them. Even broccoli. So she was on this very limited diet of foods she could eat and was not losing weight. Hmmm. I just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then she went on Weight Watchers and is now losing. So she now says that she believes her body was in "starvation mode." My theory is she was secretively binging on naughty foods that her body could tolerate.
I watched it last night as well. But the man has a point scientifically anyway. If you eat less than you burn a person will lose weight. The reality is that it is difficult for people to do that for various reasons, some valid, some not.
And people do cheat themselves, a lot. People who say they are doing everything right and still not losing have a glitch in their plan somewhere, whether its not recording everything they eat, to not knowing what a portion looks like. IMO the reason people fail is because it is HARD to lose weight, plain and simple.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I watched it last night as well. But the man has a point scientifically anyway. If you eat less than you burn a person will lose weight. The reality is that it is difficult for people to do that for various reasons, some valid, some not.
And people do cheat themselves, a lot. People who say they are doing everything right and still not losing have a glitch in their plan somewhere, whether its not recording everything they eat, to not knowing what a portion looks like. IMO the reason people fail is because it is HARD to lose weight, plain and simple.
So true. I am trying to keep my calories under 1600 daily. I have been logging my food for months and months. I still weigh the same. I could sit here and whine and say this isn't working. But the truth is, though I shoot for 1600, I usually hit about 1900. Therein lies the problem. And heck yeah it is HARD to stick with only 1600 calories!!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
So true. I am trying to keep my calories under 1600 daily. I have been logging my food for months and months. I still weigh the same. I could sit here and whine and say this isn't working. But the truth is, though I shoot for 1600, I usually hit about 1900. Therein lies the problem. And heck yeah it is HARD to stick with only 1600 calories!!
How much do you currently weigh? What's your BMR? (I'm guessing around 1900 - since you're eating that and not losing nor gaining weight.)

I'm 230 pounds and have an estimated BMR of 2400 - last week, I was averaging 1900 calories and performed zero exercise (took a week off). I lost one pound, which indicates a deficit of 500 calories a day (7 x 500 = 3500 - one pound of fat lost.) This week, I'm averaging around 1650, with a half hour of intensive (and I do mean intensive) exercise per day. Talk about hard!

Keeping my fingers crossed that my scale will reward me this coming Sunday...lol.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
How much do you currently weigh? What's your BMR? (I'm guessing around 1900 - since you're eating that and not losing nor gaining weight.)

I'm 230 pounds and have an estimated BMR of 2400 - last week, I was averaging 1900 calories and performed zero exercise (took a week off). I lost one pound, which indicates a deficit of 500 calories a day (7 x 500 = 3500 - one pound of fat lost.) This week, I'm averaging around 1650, with a half hour of intensive (and I do mean intensive) exercise per day. Talk about hard!

Keeping my fingers crossed that my scale will reward me this coming Sunday...lol.
I believe my BMR is about 1300 and my TDEE is about 1800. I am 5'1 and weigh 162. For two weeks I have been doing the elliptical every other day for about 20 minutes. And I am doing resistance training.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:22 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
I believe my BMR is about 1300 and my TDEE is about 1800. I am 5'1 and weigh 162. For two weeks I have been doing the elliptical every other day for about 20 minutes. And I am doing resistance training.
After doing a bit of research, I've determined my BMR is actually around 2000, with a TDEE of 2400 without doing specific exercises. I'm trying to lose 2 pounds this week and 2 pounds next week, before I splurge with pizza and beer for the Superbowl...lol. That's why I'm cutting my intake to 1600-1700 calories a day and ramping up my exercise. After that, I'll try and lose one pound a week, which means running a 500 calorie a day deficit. That should be easy compared to the torture I'm putting myself through now.

I tell you what, sticking to a calorie budget like this is making learn very, very quickly which foods are good to eat and which are not...lol.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
After doing a bit of research, I've determined my BMR is actually around 2000, with a TDEE of 2400 without doing specific exercises. I'm trying to lose 2 pounds this week and 2 pounds next week, before I splurge with pizza and beer for the Superbowl...lol. That's why I'm cutting my intake to 1600-1700 calories a day and ramping up my exercise. After that, I'll try and lose one pound a week, which means running a 500 calorie a day deficit. That should be easy compared to the torture I'm putting myself through now.

I tell you what, sticking to a calorie budget like this is making learn very, very quickly which foods are good to eat and which are not...lol.
Yupp! I'm being a totally slow learner and still using creamer daily, which is 200 calories, keep telling myself it's a "must." Uggh. One of these days I may wise up. On the rare day that I eat only good foods like veggies and lean proteins, I'm like whoaa, I feel totally full and I've only eaten 1000 calories, how did that happen!

Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 AM

806 posts, read 958,730 times
I run 7-10 miles a day and eat under 1800 calories yet do not lose any weight.

This show is a farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss