Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrick View Post
sort of....
but keep in mind.. most people will think of "sugar" as a sweetener. meanwhile.... cornflakes has a bigger gylcemic load than cake!! many diabetics may watch their sugar intake (this is usually what the docs tell them to do) but do not adjust for high glycemic foods... and there for the problem continues.
its less of an addiction to sugar, and more of a problem of having too much of it in the system, and either growing resistant to the insulin(which will cause a whole host of other problems), and/or the body just stops producing it.
figuring out why the insulin levels are off is the key.
simply taking insulin usually leads to more progressive insulin resistance, and worsening of symptoms.... even if the person uses no sugar.
When I used the word sugar I was referring to the sugar in corn, carrots, rice, pasta, bagels, etc.............not candy and cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:05 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
for most of us, if we work, commute, plus other stuff, it doesnt leave much time in a day for exercise. plus, all the snacks they bring in to the office, eating on the run, the hassle of going to the gym...
IMO, this line of thinking is just another excuse! Anyone believing this, simply has not made excersing a priority. Work is more important. I'm not judging it as right or wrong. Everyone CHOOSES their own priorities.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,125 times
If most Americans are like myself - when it comes to fitting one more thing into the daily schedule- We would have to give up sleep to exercise. Life has gotten too crazy. We eat whats readily availible (hell, we don't have time to consider food choices) I try but seriously Where do the skinny countries find the time?? OOPS- I guess could be jogging instead of checking this board.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 AM

NOEM1226 wrote:
If most Americans are like myself - when it comes to fitting one more thing into the daily schedule- We would have to give up sleep to exercise. Life has gotten too crazy. We eat whats readily availible (hell, we don't have time to consider food choices) I try but seriously Where do the skinny countries find the time?? OOPS- I guess could be jogging instead of checking this board.
When you say Life has gotten too crazy, it implies that some outer force greater than you is in charge of your life. What if you took charge of your life? Just food for thought, no judgement intended.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,125 times
Smile NewAgeRedneck:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck;2873407)
When you say [B
Life has gotten too crazy[/b], it implies that some outer force greater than you is in charge of your life. What if you took charge of your life? Just food for thought, no judgement intended.

You're correct-there are a couple of "outer forces" greater than me that are pretty much in charge of my life(to a reasonable extent)those forces that cause my beautiful but "Crazy" life are my children.They don't call all the shots-but it's their turn to play sports, take classes, and develop social networks-it really cuts into the me time- but frankly I would'nt have it any other way (even with a few fatty meals,a few underdesirable pounds and some missed workouts at the gym)
I think we Americans are spending more time at the workplace than in years past just to make ends meet. (kids or no kids)As a single parent I sometimes have to work extra hours and at times even 2 jobs.Not whinning, but I admit to sometimes "buying" a few extra minutues with the kids by eting food that is quick vs healthy.On on that rare occasion when people juggling the crazy/beautiful life get a few extra minutes to be a priority we have to chose between several things that we might enjoy- and with our energy levels at this point- most of the time it isn't physical activity. I don't think I am alone here and thats how we got fat as a country(IMO)

I took no offense to your post what so ever. I know I would feel better if I eliminated a few things and made working out a priority for the whole family. Just wanted you to know why at times I feel like life is crazy and somewhat not in my control

Last edited by NOEM1226; 02-19-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Absolutely. Have you watched the evening news? It's all sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry. Drugs for everything. I don't want to live my old age like that, and I agree, I am watching what I eat and exercising to keep the need for medication to a bare minimum.
Oh gosh, I know! I can hardly stand to watch it! Usually just before dinner, we can be treated to about 8 commercials featuring the giant phlegm monster for that Mucinex stuff. It almost makes me ill to watch those!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:49 AM

112 posts, read 436,858 times
Yahoo news currently has an article in the health section titled "Fast Food Ads Fueling Obesity Among Hispanic Kids" that states

"The large number of fast food commercials on Spanish-language television in the United States may be contributing to the obesity epidemic among Hispanic youths, new research suggests."

""While we cannot blame overweight and obesity solely on TV commercials, there is solid evidence that children exposed to such messages tend to have unhealthy diets and to be overweight," lead investigator Dr. Darcy Thompson, a pediatrician at Hopkins, said in a prepared statement."

That doesn't make much sense. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I can remember tons of commercials during cartoons and other kid's shows from McDonalds and Burger King - those commercials had story lines enticing you to follow and regularly watch them! There were also plenty of pitches from every kind of cereal manufacturer with cute characters prompting you to buy their sugary stuff to get the prize inside. Cookie manufacturer and companies who made other instant foods that aren't good for you had ads too. Why wasn't obesity such an epidemic then?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:10 PM

I can't say anything about the 80's and 90s becasue I grew up in the 50-60s era. Back then, playing involved participation in such activities as baseball, hide & seek, hopsotch, tag, swimming, volleyball, ping pong, badminton, building forts in the woods, hiking, bike riding, camping, football, etc. You'll notice that the common denominator is physical activity! A person gets very little, if any physical exercise from playing a video game or hanging out at the mall. The fast food joints were just hitting the scene. Instead of being a main source of nourishment ( I use the term very loosely ), a McBurger & Fries was a special treat that took place perhaps once a month.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,543 times
people are out of shape because they drink, smoke and eat too much. Ever go to a grocery store and look at what people are putting in their carts? Scary stuff.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,727 times
Quote:
people are out of shape because they drink, smoke and eat too much. Ever go to a grocery store and look at what people are putting in their carts? Scary stuff.
I was at the store yesterday and this lady was putting a ton of sugary cereals in her cart. Why? because the daughter wanted them. The daughter was probably between 7-9, short, and weighed well over 100lbs. Nevermind all the other junk in the cart, I wanted to slap the mom. I'm not one to say kids shouldn't have things, but when your child looks like this one, control needs to take over.

I was once very obese myself. I was fed up with it and decided to lose weight. I never call it going on a diet. I learned moderation in eating which allowed me to still eat the things I liked. I didn't use pills, surgery, or any "diets". If I wanted to have carbs, I ate them. I've lost over 150lbs and have kept it off. I still lose here and there, but I'm very much at my goal weight. We eat out, but never do we eat all of our dinner. The portions are so out of control now. I brought home my leftovers this past weekend and I had 2 meals left out of what I didn't eat at the restaurant. The only thing I don't eat is bakery stuff. I used to bake a lot, but when I started to lose weight, I realized that I don't really even like the stuff. I used to eat 6 or 7 chocolate chip cookies in one sitting. If I make them now, it's for hubby's work and I don't eat any, don't care for them. Probably because I found I don't like chocolate. I used to eat a ton of candy bars back in the day. I've had a couple since losing the weight and couldn't figure out what I thought was so great about them. Haven't had one in probably 2 years now.

I exercised daily. We had a weight set and an elliptical. I did that for about an hour a day(M-F). I did this up until about 2 years ago and decided I had enough. The weights were reaking havoic on my back. We had an exercise bike(elliptical crapped out). We have sold all the stuff now. I do a 30 minute toning tape on M,W,F and a 10 minute leg workout on Tues and Thurs. We also walk everynight anywhere from 30mins to an hour when the weather is nice. It's been a perfect fit for me. I was once very obsessed with the weight thing. Gaining a pound(water weight)during that time of the month(sorry guys, TMI)which would obvioulsy be off at the end(don't weight yourself during that time...lol). I couldn't do it anymore and after I lifted that stress off my shoulders, losing became much easier.

I never believe in the must give up everything and only eat fish and veggies and workout 6 hours a day. That's just nuts. You can eat what you want and lose weight, just moderation and exercise. Doggie bags are a wonderful thing.

I attach a before and after picture. The before picture was a year before I started to lose weight. I weighed more then in that picture. When I started, that outfit didn't fit me. I'm also about 10-15lbs lighter then in the after. I don't have a recent good full picture of either before or after.

before and after
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss