Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:36 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times

Advertisements

I read in a sociology book that we eat bigger servings of food than they do in other foreign countries, and that is why we are overweight or out of shape. What do you people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I started noticing a trend toward obesity when our crime got so great that a lot of people were afraid to go to parks, etc.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I started noticing a trend toward obesity when our crime got so great that a lot of people were afraid to go to parks, etc.
Wow! I never thought about that. Great point. In the town I live in you never see people in parks.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
partly, cause you have to schedule some time to stay in shape

for most of us, if we work, commute, plus other stuff, it doesnt leave much time in a day for exercise. plus, all the snacks they bring in to the office, eating on the run, the hassle of going to the gym...

Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,383 times
Its not just about the larger servings. The garbage americans eat also contributes. Refined grains,lack of fruits and vegetables,less excercise.Americans dont walk anymore. In most other countries,people walk an average of 7 miles a day. Some Americans dont do that in a week or even a month.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 AM

170 posts, read 477,251 times
Don't forget the alcohol consumption. Plus....I just loooove food. I even watch the food network, which in turn, makes me hungry and eat more food!

I probably should be a lot heavier than I am, but I'm one of the lucky ones.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
We have gotten much lazier and we eat way too much.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Interpol76 wrote: Why are Americans so out of shape?

IMO, it depends on the individual. Some people eat crappy foods, some people won't exercise, and some people indulge in both of those bad habits.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Part of has to do with parents feeding their children fast food because its cheap and readily available, then sit their kids in front of the tv all day instead of getting them into sports/physical fitness activites. These fat kids grow up to be fat teens and you can bet that they will have fat kids as well.

I remember when I was a kid, there was maybe one fat kid in the neighborhood and maybe one or two fat kids in each grade at school. Its weird because I think it affects those on the lower economic scale moreso than those in more affluent areas. I was driving by a high school in a not-so-great area and noticed that most of the kids were overweight fat-obese. In another area not too far from where I live, there were very few fat kids. I think cheap fast food has a lot to do with it.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
I agree with the cheap fast food comment. Also, it seems that everyone is so busy doing whatever, that no one takes the time to cook a decent meal. It is much easier to drive through the fast food places. I personally hate fast food. If you stop eatting it for awhile and then go back to it. You can feel how crappy it makes your body feel, and plus IMO it tastes crappy too. Everything in our world is made for convience, which isnt always a good thing. When I was in school, there were hardly any overweight kids, now that is all you see. Kids with these big old guts hanging out. I feel sorry for them. I dont think kids are being taught the importance of eatting good, or about just being healthy. Heart desease(sp?) diabetes, etc...all on the rise. It is very saddening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss