Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM

564 posts, read 1,035,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How so? Plain old fashion oats or steel cut are great breakfast options.
They are slow-digesting carbs. All carbs end up as sugar in the bloodstream after they are digested. If the OP is more carb-sensitive, they might end up with enough of a blood sugar spike to stimulate the hunger shakes, while someone else might find their glucose levels more stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:42 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,763,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
They are slow-digesting carbs. All carbs end up as sugar in the bloodstream after they are digested. If the OP is more carb-sensitive, they might end up with enough of a blood sugar spike to stimulate the hunger shakes, while someone else might find their glucose levels more stable.
Or how about the OP just shouldn't eat breakfast as that seems to be the best option for her?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,810,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Eating oatmeal (old fashioned oats without adding sugar) topped with fresh blueberries. I don't do donuts, bagels, toast or pastries.

I don't drink coffee so normally all I have before lunch is a couple bottles of water. Until I started making an attempt to eat breakfast, that is.

Would the natural sugar in the blueberries cause a sugar spike?
The carbs in the oatmeal will raise your blood sugar.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,810,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How so? Plain old fashion oats or steel cut are great breakfast options.
Not if you are trying to keep your blood sugar steady. Oatmeal raises blood sugar. When blood sugar rises insulin is called in to move the sugar out of your blood. After the release of insulin blood sugar gets lower again. Many people, like the OP experience hunger when their blood sugar is low. People really need to eat when their blood sugar gets low. Low blood sugar isn't any better than high blood sugar.

It is likely that the OP is hungrier on days she eats breakfast because of the blood sugar spike/decline described above. It makes sense for the OP to change her breakfast to one that includes more protein/fat and less carbs to see if that curbs her hunger.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:48 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,327,724 times
I agree that it's the carbs in the oatmeal that are the likely culprit. I always have hard boiled eggs on hand and I make egg "muffins" that I keep in the freezer (chopped veggies, scrambled eggs, seasoning). I can grab either of them quickly in the morning (Muffins just need to be thrown in the microwave for a few minutes).

Old 01-30-2016, 02:07 PM

1,386 posts, read 987,133 times
The high priest of intermittent fasting has an answer that exact question:

Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health: Fat Loss

_

Old 01-30-2016, 03:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,565,121 times
In retirement I have more time to prepare foods. I've changed so much, threw out breads years ago, never buy them...cereal too. Many cereals can have fungus. Last cereal I had my fatigue went to the roof....threw the rest out. I've done the oatmeal route but got bored with the oats.

I eat soups for breakfast and I make up some nice soups..

Eggs and sausage or burger.

Some mornings I have salads. I buy some nice prepared salads and add
cut up celery and avacodo and whatever I have...raisins or cut up prunes.

I sleep late 8Am or so and do exercises in bed and listen to radio and don't eat
until after 10AM most mornings.

I eat a couple meals a day and graze in between.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:21 PM

1,386 posts, read 987,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
In retirement I have more time to prepare foods. I've changed so much, threw out breads years ago, never buy them...cereal too. Many cereals can have fungus. Last cereal I had my fatigue went to the roof....threw the rest out. I've done the oatmeal route but got bored with the oats.

I eat soups for breakfast and I make up some nice soups..

Eggs and sausage or burger.

Some mornings I have salads. I buy some nice prepared salads and add
cut up celery and avacodo and whatever I have...raisins or cut up prunes.

I sleep late 8Am or so and do exercises in bed and listen to radio and don't eat
until after 10AM most mornings.

I eat a couple meals a day and graze in between.
You do exercises n bed?

Old 01-30-2016, 03:24 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,758,770 times
Carbs always make me hungrier. A scrambled egg with cheese and veg keeps me full longer. Sometimes an egg and cheese taco with hot salsa, yum.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,565,121 times
Bill, I was the exercise queen for many years, gym member, major walker, never a runner and then as my knee got worse into my 60's I had to back off and then I ended up with groin pain which showed a jagged mess of bone spurs...this was in ortho office in my late 71 age. I opted for a hip replacement at 72 and I have a lot of complications from this surgery. One is my leg is shorter which has caused knee to be worse and nerve damage and IT band damage and spinal stenosis...

So the best I can do is a lot of stretches in my bed before I get out of bed to walk around...very stiff in the mornings. I ride my recumbent bike in livingroom on a low tension. Gotta keep moving as best I can. I have done so much work since this hip job but the morning stretches are vital for me...I do them often in the afternoon too.

On the bone spurs in hindsight, could they have been cleaned up without a hip replacement...I don't know but I think of that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss