Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,437 times

Advertisements

Stop stressing and thinking about food so much. Just use that energy to go workout or exercise. Go for a walk outside, carry the bag of groceries home, don't take the bus when you can walk that mile, keep moving and your body will tell you exactly how much it needs. Forget listening to the internal comfort talk e.g buying pizza and wings to mark each waking moment.

Now is the time to think with the body and feel good about it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Stop stressing and thinking about food so much. Just use that energy to go workout or exercise. Go for a walk outside, carry the bag of groceries home, don't take the bus when you can walk that mile, keep moving and your body will tell you exactly how much it needs. Forget listening to the internal comfort talk e.g buying pizza and wings to mark each waking moment.

Now is the time to think with the body and feel good about it .
The keyword there is "workout." Walking is not a workout for the majority of people. Unless you're in a nursing home, rehabbing from an injury, or morbidly obese walking is not going to do much for you. Many blue collar workers are on their feet constantly moving and walking around for 8-12 hours a day and are still in terrible health.

I think it's very important to continuously be thinking about food and what we put in our bodies, it's a huge part of you're life and you need to take it seriously. You can walk all day long and never get in shape. I did. Last summer I was out in west Texas. I walked 5-10 miles a day for my job; up hills, through valleys, across rivers ect and I was in the worst shape of my life. A huge part of it was the fact that it was hard to find fresh high quality food in the town I was in. I stressed out about food and rightfully so

Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
The keyword there is "workout." Walking is not a workout for the majority of people. Unless you're in a nursing home, rehabbing from an injury, or morbidly obese walking is not going to do much for you. Many blue collar workers are on their feet constantly moving and walking around for 8-12 hours a day and are still in terrible health.

I think it's very important to continuously be thinking about food and what we put in our bodies, it's a huge part of you're life and you need to take it seriously. You can walk all day long and never get in shape. I did. Last summer I was out in west Texas. I walked 5-10 miles a day for my job; up hills, through valleys, across rivers ect and I was in the worst shape of my life. A huge part of it was the fact that it was hard to find fresh high quality food in the town I was in. I stressed out about food and rightfully so
I don't like when people say this. My nephew is a mail carrier. He says the same exact thing. Well guess what, I'm overweight and if I go for a walk, it will help somewhat. Yes, if I get back from the walk and inhale a box of donuts, maybe it didn't really help. But in conjunction with watching my calories, walking WILL help, as it does burn calories, even if not many.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:00 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,676,648 times
It's diet and exercise.
1) Cut down on food intake in general.
2) Eat less meat, more veggie.
3) Exercise (just keep it simple so it doesn't turn you off). Jogging, brisk walking, sit-ups, push-ups, twerking (hahaha). The key is to sweat even if a bit.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It's diet and exercise.
1) Cut down on food intake in general.
2) Eat less meat, more veggie.
3) Exercise (just keep it simple so it doesn't turn you off). Jogging, brisk walking, sit-ups, push-ups, twerking (hahaha). The key is to sweat even if a bit.
I agree with everything except #2. I think most people don't eat enough red and unprocessed meats. I'm with you on the veggies though

Also exercise is totally dependent on your goals. If you want a rockin body, just keeping it simple is not going to do much for you

Old 02-04-2016, 03:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I don't like when people say this. My nephew is a mail carrier. He says the same exact thing. Well guess what, I'm overweight and if I go for a walk, it will help somewhat. Yes, if I get back from the walk and inhale a box of donuts, maybe it didn't really help. But in conjunction with watching my calories, walking WILL help, as it does burn calories, even if not many.
You don't like when people say this? So you don't like the truth? Jame22 is correct. Your nephew is correct. You're the one in denial. You're not the only one. They are many people who are overweight and think a minimal amount of moving their body is exercise. James22 is correct when he states that, "Walking is not a workout for the majority of people." It might be at first, but exercise has to to be progressive. You have to go longer, faster, or with more resistance or it ceases being exercise.

And disregard any advice as soon as the person uses the phrase, "fat burning." Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight eventually.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:06 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You don't like when people say this? So you don't like the truth? Jame22 is correct. Your nephew is correct. You're the one in denial. You're not the only one. They are many people who are overweight and think a minimal amount of moving their body is exercise. James22 is correct when he states that, "Walking is not a workout for the majority of people." It might be at first, but exercise has to to be progressive. You have to go longer, faster, or with more resistance or it ceases being exercise.

And disregard any advice as soon as the person uses the phrase, "fat burning." Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight eventually.
So you're saying that if I walk 45 minutes per day that one month from now, it won't count?

Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, walking does have its benefits but I stand by the fact that it is not a legitimate workout for 90% of the population. It may improve your health a bit at first but you'll never be in good shape even with a great diet.

Anyway, my original argument was that food is very important and shouldn't be taken lightly as someone advised earlier

Last edited by Jame22; 02-04-2016 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
So you're saying that if I walk 45 minutes per day that one month from now, it won't count?
If you do the same 45 minute walk every day, it is no long exercise. It would be the same as if you did 10 pushups everyday. You stop at 10 pushups and think you've gotten your daily exercise. They are no longer exercise and do very little for your health. I think this is one of the biggest issues holding people back. They think because they are burning some calories, they are getting some health benefit. You burn calories by just breathing. Walking for 45 minutes is better than doing nothing but you are short changing yourself if you think it continues to help you.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
It will count for sure...but not enough to matter (unless you're already in hortific shape)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss