Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times

Advertisements

If someone is significantly overweight, it is all about calories in vs. calories out. If someone is trying to lose that last 5 -10 pounds, eating processed food likely isn't the best choice. Processed food is full of sodium which can cause most people to retain fluids, which doesn't matter so much when you weigh 250 pounds but matters very much when you're trying to get that six-pack to show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:21 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
There is a difference between medical grade food and Doritos.

You say you'll eat the people chow when it comes out? You already have it, the glorified slimfast shakes from the hospital. There you go! Fill yourself up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
If someone is significantly overweight, it is all about calories in vs. calories out.
Not really. Science is making great strides in understanding how our gut flora influences obesity, at a level beyond the old calories in/out rule. Some people truly are more prone to pack weight on, even when calories are reduced or kept in check.

I suspect at some point, "calories in/calories out" will be as outdated as "drink 8 glasses of water per day", "wait 1 hour before swimming", and "breakfast is the most important meal" are.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:14 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Not really. Science is making great strides in understanding how our gut flora influences obesity, at a level beyond the old calories in/out rule. Some people truly are more prone to pack weight on, even when calories are reduced or kept in check.

I suspect at some point, "calories in/calories out" will be as outdated as "drink 8 glasses of water per day", "wait 1 hour before swimming", and "breakfast is the most important meal" are.
Ugggghhhh. I don't know, I've been seeing it more and more lately and think it makes sense.

And then a trainer guy on a national TV show (which I suppose doesn't mean he's necessarily some credible source), but still, he stood there and said, "Not one person on this planet, if they eat less, will not lose weight." It really resonated with me for some reason.

But...... I've also seen "I want to loose weight" more and more and more lately. So I guess whatever gets perpetuated, gets perpetuated.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Ugggghhhh. I don't know, I've been seeing it more and more lately and think it makes sense.

"Not one person on this planet, if they eat less, will not lose weight." It really resonated with me for some reason.
It's true. If anyone stops eating, they will start to waste away. But I think the gut flora is going to help us answer the most important question, which is what is the best eating plan for my particular situation?

It seems that people born with a greater variety of gut bacteria have an easier time maintaining their normal weight, and are thus more efficient at metabolizing certain foods (i.e. "can eat anything and not gain a pound" types), while others have less bacterial variety and are the "no matter what I eat, I gain weight" types.

I just think there is more to the story than just telling people to eat less and move more. If people are able to reboot their systems and rebalance their gut flora, they might have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have written a lot about my settling on a low carb diet. Once I got comfortable with it on a day to day basis, I also started cutting down on the fat. Just because I CAN eat a lot of bacon for breakfast, doesn't mean I need or want to. Just because I can eat 2 or 3 eggs, doesn't mean I want to. My point is we all need to arrive at a method that works for us, and I am full one egg and one piece of bacon, so that's all I want. My next experiment will be trying to find more low carb breakfast foods. I might go for full fat plain Chobani and a few berries....they have carbs, but not too many. Its a trial and error method of finding your sweet spot.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have written a lot about my settling on a low carb diet. Once I got comfortable with it on a day to day basis, I also started cutting down on the fat. Just because I CAN eat a lot of bacon for breakfast, doesn't mean I need or want to. Just because I can eat 2 or 3 eggs, doesn't mean I want to. My point is we all need to arrive at a method that works for us, and I am full one egg and one piece of bacon, so that's all I want. My next experiment will be trying to find more low carb breakfast foods. I might go for full fat plain Chobani and a few berries....they have carbs, but not too many. Its a trial and error method of finding your sweet spot.

This is true.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,827 times
You can definitely survive on junk food, that's what a lot of people do nowadays, all the processed food advertised on our face so how can we not get duped. But I want to live a long, healthy life without spending lots down the road on medical bills so I chose to eat healthy, it's a personal choice.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 AM

1,098 posts, read 900,737 times
It's not that simple. You are much more likely to over-eat when you are taking in cheap calories.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:55 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Here's a test for anyone who believes a "calorie is a calorie."

Try this experiment:

Eat 1800 calories worth of ice cream for one year. You'll likely be dead of malnutrition before the year is up.

or

Eat 1800 calories worth of potatoes (not fried) for one year. You'll survive the year just fine.

Nutrients (vitamins/minerals/fiber) matter.

If you believe a calorie is a calorie, then you must also believe car fuel is car fuel. Try running your car on crummy fuel filled with garbage (as most processed foods are) and see how long your car runs...

Me, I want my body to run on premium, high-test fuel. I plan to live in my body for a long time and am going for high mileage. That's why I eat lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes. Keeps me out of the mechanic's garage for high cost repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss