Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:57 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Studies show that calories from different sources are not burned at the same rate...

Some are metabolized faster, others are held onto longer and stored in various organs.

Here's an interesting read that explains this: 6 Reasons Why a Calorie is NOT a Calorie
None of those "6 reasons" tell you that eating less will not cause weight loss. There may be factors that affect appetite and some people may extract a few more or a few less calories from a given food, but in the long run consuming fewer calories than you use for daily activity will cause weight loss. Guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:06 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
None of those "6 reasons" tell you that eating less will not cause weight loss. There may be factors that affect appetite and some people may extract a few more or a few less calories from a given food, but in the long run consuming fewer calories than you use for daily activity will cause weight loss. Guaranteed.
'K..but a beer belly is a beer belly is a beer belly...

I'd rather consume nutritious calories that aren't stored as fat as some carbs and sugars are.

There's weight, then there's health, then there's fat distribution on our bodies...depends on our weight loss goals.

The term that describes some people as "skinny fat" comes to mind.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:18 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
'K..but a beer belly is a beer belly is a beer belly...

I'd rather consume nutritious calories that aren't stored as fat as some carbs and sugars are.

There's weight, then there's health, then there's fat distribution on our bodies...depends on our weight loss goals.

The term that describes some people as "skinny fat" comes to mind.
Sure, you can restrict energy intake in healthy or unhealthy ways, either taking in all essential nutrients or not. But to lose weight you have to create a net energy deficit. That's calories.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:55 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Studies show that calories from different sources are not burned at the same rate...

Some are metabolized faster, others are held onto longer and stored in various organs.

Here's an interesting read that explains this: 6 Reasons Why a Calorie is NOT a Calorie
Great article, thanks for the link!!! rep given

Old 02-17-2016, 06:02 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Some calories are nutritious and some are empty. Some make you feel full, some make you feel hungry. But they are burned at the same rate. If you operate at a calorie deficit you will lose weight even if all you eat is bread or twinkles. Not a smart idea since your body will be screaming at you for real food and you will feel hungry all the time, but you will lose weight.
I am not eating at a calorie deficit. I am simply eating better. When you eat better food, you get to eat more and fill up! You eat processed foods and those chemicals will make you think you are full but you really arent. Yes you are right, calories are burned at the same rate. But high cholesterol is not. Fat in your arteries is not. Sorry but I would rather eat a lot of healthy calories that in the end make me healthier.

Would you rather eat a 200 calorie candy bar with no nutrients or 200 calories of roasted vegetables that taste sweet and fill you up and keep you full a lot longer.

And we have decided to treat ourselves to a dinner out once a month so we will not deprive ourselves.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Bread doesn't have any cholesterol. Google for "bread cholesterol" and you'll be able to check that easily.

I'm not sure where you got the 810 calorie figure from, but that sounds like it might be a typical example of "portion distortion" -- prepared foods today are often served in gigantic portions that dwarf what was considered reasonable 20 or 30 years ago. Next time order a half sandwich, or just save half of it for another meal. If you're trying to lose weight, I'd also recommend skipping the cheese and mayo and asking them to put, say, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber on the sandwich instead, and turn down any high-fat chips or pasta/potato salad made with mayo that might come as a side with your sandwich.
Oops my mistake. I meant that bread had a lot of carbs, not cholesterol.

The 810 calorie came from the deli's website. And it made sense. They also inject sodium into their turkey, most delis do that.

I have cut out the bad bread now anyway and eat only whole wheat. Its just easier for me to skip the sandwich completely and eat a salad instead. I actually emailed the company so Im not making this stuff up.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:14 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
FYI My dogs and cats eat healthy stuff also

Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Here's an interesting article about "skinny fat."

Being slender does not mean good health. In fact, in some cases, it can be bad health...what we eat matters a great deal:

Skinny Fat: The Hidden Dangers of Being Thin and Flabby

Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
I am not eating at a calorie deficit. I am simply eating better. When you eat better food, you get to eat more and fill up! You eat processed foods and those chemicals will make you think you are full but you really arent. Yes you are right, calories are burned at the same rate. But high cholesterol is not. Fat in your arteries is not. Sorry but I would rather eat a lot of healthy calories that in the end make me healthier.

Would you rather eat a 200 calorie candy bar with no nutrients or 200 calories of roasted vegetables that taste sweet and fill you up and keep you full a lot longer.

And we have decided to treat ourselves to a dinner out once a month so we will not deprive ourselves.
Who said I advocated eating crap? I am talking about calories. I eat whole, fresh foods from all the food groups and have maintained my weight for a long time. The point is a calorie is a calorie. They act differently in making one feel full and satisfied. They differ in nutrient values. The can make you feel greater miserable. But calories burn at the same rate. Get it?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Who said I advocated eating crap? I am talking about calories. I eat whole, fresh foods from all the food groups and have maintained my weight for a long time. The point is a calorie is a calorie. They act differently in making one feel full and satisfied. They differ in nutrient values. The can make you feel greater miserable. But calories burn at the same rate. Get it?
I am simply responding to your comments. No need to be defensive. Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss