Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

I am not going to eat a vegan diet. I would never be able to get enough protein.
What makes you think you would not get enough protein?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
What makes you think you would not get enough protein?
What vegan protein sources would allow me to stay at 50g of carbs a day and still take in adequate protein? I just can't see how it could happen.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:36 PM

421 posts, read 328,167 times
I think you have hit what they call a plateau meaning for a few weeks or so you won't lose any weight then you will start to again I had this happen before it is normal.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What vegan protein sources would allow me to stay at 50g of carbs a day and still take in adequate protein? I just can't see how it could happen.
Protein is not the issue. Your low carb diet is not sustainable. That's why you are stuck.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I kind of doubt that the OP plans on going from a relatively healthy diet to one so unhealthy it is 2nd only to the typical American diet, so we can probably dispense with the vegan propaganda.

Actually it's about the most spot on advice she could probably get to this point. Right now, the OP really only has a rough estimate of her caloric intake and due to their physiology, women often need to include a fair amount of cardio past the initial stages of weight loss.

Knowing the caloric intake is step #1 and only solution that doesn't address that first is putting the cart before the horse.
1- The majority of people who keep a healthy weight over their lifetimes don't count calories. Counting calories is anathema to long-term sustainability.

2- What, exactly, is your reasoning for a vegan diet being unhealthy?

Old 04-12-2016, 04:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
Protein is not the issue. Your low carb diet is not sustainable. That's why you are stuck.
In all fairness, only Momma_bear can decide what is or isn't sustainable for her, as well as whichever tweaks need to be made. Conversely, low carb is unsustainable and medically ill-advised for me, but that's my problem and not a reflection of what is sustainable for anyone else. The "right" diet is highly subjective, and they all come down to if that person is able to stick to it, whether by choice or by necessity.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
1- The majority of people who keep a healthy weight over their lifetimes don't count calories. Counting calories is anathema to long-term sustainability.

2- What, exactly, is your reasoning for a vegan diet being unhealthy?
First off, why are you now responding to post that are almost two months old? I'm still waiting for you to address the research you asked for in another thread. Shouldn't you be worrying about that first, rather than dredging up old posts?

As to your first claim, I'd question the accuracy of such and ask that you post your data supporting such a claim. Even if such a claim is true, people who spend enough time weighing and measuring foods usually find that they get to the point where they can pretty accurately predict the caloric value of a food or meal just from ingrained knowledge. The weighing and measuring itself doesn't go on forever.

As for why a vegan diet is unhealthy, the biggest issue is simple: B-12 deficiency, and its resulting health issues.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
First off, why are you now responding to post that are almost two months old? I'm still waiting for you to address the research you asked for in another thread. Shouldn't you be worrying about that first, rather than dredging up old posts?

As to your first claim, I'd question the accuracy of such and ask that you post your data supporting such a claim. Even if such a claim is true, people who spend enough time weighing and measuring foods usually find that they get to the point where they can pretty accurately predict the caloric value of a food or meal just from ingrained knowledge. The weighing and measuring itself doesn't go on forever.

As for why a vegan diet is unhealthy, the biggest issue is simple: B-12 deficiency, and its resulting health issues.
Take a B12 supplement, problem solved.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:36 PM

529 posts, read 507,755 times
Sorry, I do not have anything to contribute. I just wanted to post a very small vent. I hate the anti-depressant I am on. Its has made weight loss impossible, and I'm in fact gaining weight. My depression is gone, but I feel physically terrible - so damn heavy.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Take a B12 supplement, problem solved.
That's all well and fine, I just find it comical that people like you and Just a Guy will cry about high protein intakes when all the data shows it's beneficial and not remotely detrimental, but then you turn right around and hold up veganism as a healthy diet when you can quite literally die on that diet unless you take supplements.

The irony of it all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss