Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 12:09 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here dealt with actually looking WORSE after weight loss??

I lost 20 lbs recently, and have another to go till I am in my target weight zone for my height. I wear a size 10 right now (although can wear a size 8 or 6 in some clothes, too tight around butt). I've been losing weight through healthy eating (Mediterranean based diet), exercise (cardio and weights), and I have been making sure I get to the Dr. for bloodwork, take the right vitamins, use plenty of moisturizer, etc.

My face is thinner, body is thinner (although I have a booty still as I stated above), etc.

I fear I look worse since losing weight. People have been mistaking me for being in my mid or late 40's all the time anymore (I am actually in my late 30s). I don't look as good as I did when I was slightly "obese" I fear, and never got mistaken for being "older" until recently (post weight loss). It doesn't matter what I wear, it all looks horrible on me right now! I used to get more compliments when I was "fatter", and I wonder if I look old and sickly now??

I'm not doing anything to make myself "sickly" - I eat healthy, get enough sleep, drink plenty of water, use moisturizer, take vitamins, etc. I wear my hair long and straight, and make sure all grays are covered. Very thick and full so I don't have an older hair style.

It really hit home the other day when talking to someone behind a counter at a store, and the woman said "we are around the same age, so I can relate to what you are saying about xyz." Here she was 48 years old (gasp I am a decade younger than you lady)!!!

My husband is 5 years older then me and I constantly get comments about "robbing the cradle."

I don't really feel I am distributing my weight well either - I hope that changes as I lose weight more so I try not to get too upset about it, I'm evolving.

Has anyone looked more aged since they lost weight?

Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I know this lady from Facebook who totally looks older now. She is around 35 and looks 50. It's also her clothes though too. Every time I see her, I think gah, that lady looks olllld. Her hubby looks younger than her too.

I am 48 years old (gasp! ha ha) and I was just thinking today how I think my wrinkles are becoming more pronounced now that I am losing weight. So yeah, I think I might look a little older than if my face was filled out with fat.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I look older after my weight loss. I have a friend who's lost a lot of weight and she looks a lot older too, not that I would ever tell her.

My husband actually asked me to stop losing weight because my face was starting to look just like my mother's face.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:36 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
I just googled it - it is more common than people let on. However, I want to be healthy so I am not going to "try" to gain it back!

Old 02-18-2016, 02:43 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post

Ugh!
I lost 80 pounds 3.5 years ago, I was 54 at the time. At first I looked worse, but in time some of my skin tightened up a little bit. But not all of it. I have more noticeable wrinkles on my face and neck.

I wouldn't trade the wrinkles for fat.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:33 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Has anyone here dealt with actually looking WORSE after weight loss??

I lost 20 lbs recently, and have another to go till I am in my target weight zone for my height. I wear a size 10 right now (although can wear a size 8 or 6 in some clothes, too tight around butt). I've been losing weight through healthy eating (Mediterranean based diet), exercise (cardio and weights), and I have been making sure I get to the Dr. for bloodwork, take the right vitamins, use plenty of moisturizer, etc.

My face is thinner, body is thinner (although I have a booty still as I stated above), etc.

I fear I look worse since losing weight. People have been mistaking me for being in my mid or late 40's all the time anymore (I am actually in my late 30s). I don't look as good as I did when I was slightly "obese" I fear, and never got mistaken for being "older" until recently (post weight loss). It doesn't matter what I wear, it all looks horrible on me right now! I used to get more compliments when I was "fatter", and I wonder if I look old and sickly now??

I'm not doing anything to make myself "sickly" - I eat healthy, get enough sleep, drink plenty of water, use moisturizer, take vitamins, etc. I wear my hair long and straight, and make sure all grays are covered. Very thick and full so I don't have an older hair style.

It really hit home the other day when talking to someone behind a counter at a store, and the woman said "we are around the same age, so I can relate to what you are saying about xyz." Here she was 48 years old (gasp I am a decade younger than you lady)!!!

My husband is 5 years older then me and I constantly get comments about "robbing the cradle."

I don't really feel I am distributing my weight well either - I hope that changes as I lose weight more so I try not to get too upset about it, I'm evolving.

Ugh!
Well, possibly you are a build that looks better with a little more weight? We all have to decide what weight we feel (and look best ) at. I find as we (women) get older, we look better with a few extra pounds than we carried when younger. I am now 66, and weigh about 15 - 18 lbs more than in my 30s. If I were to lose any more my face would be WAY too thin - it is thin as it is. I just work on maintaining my current weight and work out to keep muscle tone. You may need to gain a few back, because yes as we get older being too thin is extremely aging. I guess you need to decide if you want to be really thin and look older or carry a few more and appear younger.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
One of the benefits of having always been very homely looking.....you don't have to get butthurt when you get even uglier!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:22 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
How about drinking more water. Not crazy amounts. A lot of people after weight loss look dehydrated and gaunt. Maybe the water could help plump things up a bit.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
My happy weight is 10 pounds heavier now. I am 54 and do not look that great when I am that thin, even though I went through most of my life at 114 lbs. I look much better now when I stay between 124 - 127. 9 years ago I had blown up to 160, I lost 40 pounds and I looked gaunt and older even though I was very healthy.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 11,102 times
I've been using hyaluronic acid (a skin care product) on my face before applying my facial moisturizer and it does help to tighten my skin a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss