Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 08:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times

Advertisements

I'm really upset with myself that I have to post this, because three years ago I managed to lose 20 lbs in five or six months. I did it sensibly, by cutting my meal portions, and I also walked regularly. I kept the weight off pretty well for about three or four months, and then it began to slowly creep back on.

I'm now back to the weight I was three years ago, give or take a couple of pounds. I had to go buy new pants for work yesterday, because my existing ones were getting so tight that I was both uncomfortable and worried that a seam would split at a bad moment!

Losing weight at 52 years old isn't impossible, but I feel like I'm rolling a boulder up a hill. I just had a physical and blood work done, and my fasting glucose went from 88 to 107 in only one year. That's a huge jump. My doctor doesn't usually do the H1c test, but he agreed to include it when I go for retesting. I haven't done that yet. My vitamin D levels were a little low, so I'm on a prescription to get back to normal.

It doesn't help that we have food catered regularly at work, and it's all food that I love but can't eat a lot of (Mexican food!). I've tried using a smaller plate for the past week or so.

I've kept up some of my good habits; I cut out drinking soda entirely and never went back to it. Ice cream is a rare treat. I have gift cards to Starbucks and Coffee Bean that I haven't used. (Don't get me started on the chocolates that coworkers gave me for Christmas that I haven't touched!)

I do realize the health benefits of losing weight, but somehow that doesn't translate into the behavior needed to get there.

In regards to walking regularly, I don't like to walk when it's hot (over 80). This means I'm either walking a LOT on the weekends, or I have to find an alternative form of exercise. I have a very sedentary desk job, and I start work at 6:30 a.m., so walking in the mornings isn't feasible. Even now, in February, it's going to be in the 80s for the next few days here in Los Angeles. I obviously haven't been walking a lot on the weekends, or I wouldn't be posting this!

Also, I've been going through menopause or perimenopause (not sure which) for over a year. I'm on HRT, which helps tremendously with the hot flashes, but it's as if the weight has shifted to my midsection. It's like I don't even know my own body, anymore! My right knee has been aching on and off (because of the added weight, or am I developing arthritis?). I'm having outpatient surgery this Thursday, but after I recover (should only take a day or two), I'd like to come up with a concrete plan and stick to it.

I wish I had the conviction that propelled me to lose weight three years ago. Part of me says, "Oh, well. Whatever..." I certainly don't want to keep gaining! I already need to lose 21 lbs; I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but the way I feel mentally and emotionally right now? Blah. I'm also somewhat depressed, because I know I'm letting myself down by not taking care of myself properly.

Thank you for reading this long, rather whiny, rant. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 AM

753 posts, read 1,104,142 times
I can relate to your concerns. I also understood that it was not healthy in the abstract sense for my BMI to be in the borderline obese range, but it wasn't until I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease that doing something about it took on any real urgency. (They can treat some of the secondary symptoms, but the disease itself is not reversible and the only thing I can do to preserve my remaining liver function is lose weight.) Once the pounds started coming off, that in itself was motivating, as was being able to fit into smaller-sized clothes again.

I also have knee issues, and had put on about 20 pounds since breaking my leg a couple years ago because I was being too sedentary. Since I have lost the weight again, I find that getting around is definitely less stressful on my knee. I do use poles for hiking now and find that they are very helpful for stability and getting up and down steep sections of trail.

I don't like being out when it's hot, either. If you work early in the morning, can you walk in the evening instead? Or you might look for some form of indoor exercise. I have an aerobic step, ankle weights, resistance bands, etc at home left over from PT on my knee, that I have been trying to use more regularly again. Or you might look into joining a gym or signing up for some sort of weekly exercise or dance class.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Thank you for reading this long, rather whiny, rant. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Depending on your budget, maybe join a gym club, I heard "Curves" does great as the females are focused on helping others. If not, then...Start you own gym club at a local gym?

I would LOVE to find some COPD geezers 50+ (I am 55) and have a group like that. Helps when you got others encouraging to "Not eat that nasty stuff!" and to also "Feel the burn!"

Old 02-22-2016, 09:14 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
Remember that exercise isn't "necessary" for weight loss, it just helps it along a bit. I would say try to figure out what foods you like in what portions add up to the calories your body needs to lose weight. For me, that's 1400 calories, and that includes full-fat coffee creamer, eggs, avocados, sweets, chicken, breads, etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
I'm not at that age yet, but I can tell you from my mom's experience, you have to let menopause run its course. My mom was a size 0-2, very tiny. Runs 6-8 miles 5 days a week. Menopause hit about 5-6 years ago, and she gained about 20-30 pounds. She was very down on herself, because she ate right and exercised right. She was more upset that my brother got married during this time, and she has pictures for the rest of her life with this added weight.

As soon as it ran its course, about 2 years, the weight came right back off. She still eats and exercises the same today. She's 62 years old and tiny. You can't be hard on yourself when menopause takes over your life for a while. Continue to walk and eat right. The weight will come back off.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your very kind responses. I'm going to do my best to eat better and try to find a form of exercise that works for me. I tried Curves for a while, but ended up paying for eighteen months when I had stopped going. (It took me a while to realize I wasn't going back!) Maybe I'll try Zumba videos.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:38 PM

134 posts, read 158,292 times
I'm a few years older than you, and love to just SIT and knit, be on the computer and not move. What helped me get up and out of my chair after work was a Fitbit to track my steps. Seeing that number, and if it was low, it registered in my brain more! It was just that nudge I needed to get up and out of my chair!

I managed to lose a few pounds and control my 'pre-diabetic' condition after my A1C test came back 5.9% 2 years ago.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2016, 03:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
A friend who is in mid 40's and when she started weighed 262...docs told her she was heading to diabetes...so she took control and was very very motivated and so far in about 6-7 months has taken off over 76 lbs....she cut out ALL WHITE FOODS.... She is so proud and HAPPY..... Now has her friend at their work taking control. Her friend was probably over 300 lbs...

An MD on the radio who does regenerative joint therapy PRP, talks about weight and joints and diabetes...his mantra is: Veggies, Protein and Water. Very very small amounts of low glycemic fruit. No alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss