Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:34 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Some one mentioned ice cold water. I totally disagree, room temp water is best and add fresh lemon to about everything. Ice water keeps things frozen up inside us.
Not exactly....our bodies heat up this ice water to body temperature. To do so requires energy...the most important thing is to drink water though.

Personally, room temperature water makes me gag. But I can suck down 96+ ounces of ice water a day. So ice water it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Indeed, any thoughts on this?
Back when I was seriously trying to lose weight, 12 years ago, I didn't do anything. I just ate less and lived with it. Also did point counting using a fairly popular method to determine where the problem areas were. It wasn't too hard.

Not a *lot* less, but I managed to lose 52 pounds. I've put about half of that back on again over the past decade, tho, so I think I need to seriously look at eating less again.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:05 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
For me, reducing my appetite means I need to fast for a day (nothing but low sodium tomato juice and water for 24 hours). This is one day of annoyance but it shrinks my capacity and then it's easy to keep to smaller portion sizes for another 6-10 days or so. After the fast, I try to keep it to mostly low-process, low-sugar, low-processed flours, high green veggie content. If my weight isn't where I want it when my capacity to eat kicks back in, then I do the fast again.

Another thing is that I try to eat a fairly early dinner and then don't snack between dinner and bedtime. I've read several reports of studies that show a 8-10 hour sustained fast is also very helpful in losing/maintaining weight.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:51 PM

83 posts, read 77,829 times
Eat more protein and animal fat.
A BLT with plenty of mayo will do the trick nicely.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
I don't buy any junk and leave it in the house. Lately, though, I have been getting free leftover Easter candy and it is so hard to resist! I hate free junk... :/

Old 04-04-2016, 07:09 PM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
So the consensus (from reading this thread) is that there are a billion ways to do it, and they all work. Well, not a billion ways, maybe ten, and they don't ALL work, maybe half.

I can tell you what works for me. It may work for you, maybe not. But you should try different things and see which is best.

What I did:
Cut sugar out. In the past eight months I haven't had any cake, cookies, ice cream, gummy bears, candy bars, chocolates ..
I do have carbs (try to stick with healthier ones, whole grains etc), and fruit.
No sweet drinks, no orange juice, be careful with smoothies_they can have tons of calories. I drink water, coffee, sometimes sugar free ice tea.
Protein works for me to keep me full. Eggs, cubed cheese, yogurt, chicken, meat, tuna etc. Have beans and lentil a few times a week. Nuts are great but have a lot of calories.
Make your own soups, freeze in individual portions so you always have something filling.
Don't keep the tempting stuff around! My treat is a small portion of NSA Froyo with fruit a sprinkle of something sweet.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
For me, reducing my appetite means I need to fast for a day (nothing but low sodium tomato juice and water for 24 hours). This is one day of annoyance but it shrinks my capacity and then it's easy to keep to smaller portion sizes for another 6-10 days or so. After the fast, I try to keep it to mostly low-process, low-sugar, low-processed flours, high green veggie content. If my weight isn't where I want it when my capacity to eat kicks back in, then I do the fast again.

Another thing is that I try to eat a fairly early dinner and then don't snack between dinner and bedtime. I've read several reports of studies that show a 8-10 hour sustained fast is also very helpful in losing/maintaining weight.
Ah yes I always forget that second one. I just took home made Char Siu Ribs out of the oven.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:32 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
I drink a LOT of water all throughout the day. I don't wait until I'm hungry to drink -- I don't even wait until I'm thirsty. The first thing I do when I wake up is chug 2 glasses of water, no ice (but cold, from the refrigerator dispenser), and I drink water all throughout the day. Not only does it help keep me from getting hungry, but it also helps prevent the headaches that I used to get. Oh yeah, and it helps prevent me from drinking so much sweet tea and Pepsi. Now, if I treat myself to one, it's because I'm craving one...not because I guzzle them every time that I'm thirsty.

Other than that, slow changes. Listen to your body, and eat until you are full, not until you are stuffed. Break habits of what you think you're supposed to eat. For example, if you "always" eat three slices of pizza on pizza night, you might automatically put three slices on your plate to begin with, as soon as the pizza is pulled out of the oven (or the pizza box is opened). Why not start with one? If you're still hungry, grab another. Even better, have a healthy salad first, then a slice of pizza.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Years ago when I was trying to lose weight I read about NOT eating after 6PM...

Don't bring junk/crap into the house and no temptation....this is KEY.

Drink quality water...and I don't gag with room temp water.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:12 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Eat protein throughout the day. It takes very little to keep you from getting hungry...a few nuts, an oz of cheese, a hard boiled egg, a slice of turkey, etc. Add some vegetables and voila, it's a healthy diet. No calorie counting is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss