Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,764,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuxstranger View Post
Didn't know Yoplait isn't real yogurt. How so?
Yoplait

Fage Yogurt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,813,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuxstranger View Post
Was it helpful?
How much did you lose over how long?
What was the challenge of using it?
Did you end up maintain the weight?

Thinking of following a diet program to lose 30 lbs, what are the programs you'd recommend?
I followed the Atkins diet and lost over 50 lb. I have kept the weight off but have not been able to lose all the weight I want to lose. I don't think that's a failure of the program.

Other people are the biggest challenge of following Atkins. Additionally, the media makes Atkins sound like a plan where all you do is stuff your face with as much food as possible. People tend to believe what the news media tells them. I follow the plan laid out by Dr. Atkins in his 1992 book. I actually read the book cover to cover.

A quick synopsis is: reduce carbs by removing all starchy foods and sugar. Eat protein, fat and non starchy veggies. Eat until you are no longer hungry which does NOT mean eat as much as you can possibly eat. Eat as much unprocessed food as possible. It takes a few weeks to adjust. Allow your body to adjust. Do not give up after a few days because you feel badly. It goes away. Don't cheat. It sets you back to day 1.

This type of eating is not for everyone but if you try it there are some things I would change about the synopsis I wrote above. For two days eliminate sugar. Then eliminate starchy veggies(potatoes, corn, etc.). Then eliminate rice/flour/other grains. Then fruit. Take a few weeks to eliminate foods. It will slow your weight loss but might make the transition easier.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:11 PM

380 posts, read 649,257 times
I switched to a starch-heavy way of eating in Jul 2014. I eliminated all animal products, oil, and alcohol. (By "oil" I mean I quit adding oil to stuff.) So it's vegan but also devoid of added oil. I eat a lot of rice, beans, potatoes, whole-wheat pasta and bread, veggies, oatmeal, and fruit. I started losing weight immediately and dropped 30 pounds in 4 months with no exercise changes. I kept up the same eating plan and dropped about 5 more (and started running heavily) and have maintained that since then. I've had meat a couple of times in that timespan and dairy a few times as well, at special occasions, but in general this was very easy for me because I'm one of the rare people on earth who hates dairy (especially cheese). It has been tricky in social situations where there's nothing to eat except meat, but those situations haven't come up as much as I'd feared. I recommend this to anyone who's trying to lose weight and open to it, because I'm never hungry, I don't pay any attention to calories, and I enjoy the food. That said, very few people are willing to give up meat, dairy, and oil, so in that sense it's a very hard diet to begin.

Last edited by Sean Kellogg; 04-30-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 AM

48,301 posts, read 34,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yoplait

Fage Yogurt
That was interesting. I always use Fage Plain, and now I feel good about it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-02-2016, 04:35 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,732,058 times
Want to lose weight- cut out sugar and apply this simple mathematical equation, burn more calories then you take in. Oh yeah and if able do cardio exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss