Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:25 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times

Advertisements

Low carb is a very satisfying, effective method for losing weight. People who eat low carb get far, far fewer cravings and snack a lot less, simply because they are not as hungry.

With that said, OP, he's a grown man. An adult. You can't "make" him do what he does not want to do.

Much like an alcoholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:29 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I
Remember, he had a heart attack and put on a strict diet. He is not supposed to use butter or too much salt either. This morning he made a bagel for breakfast using my butter (he has a substitute) and was grinding salt on it. This is not a matter of just slimming down, but to prevent ANOTHER heart attack.
This is a scary thought. It's almost like he needs a Scared Straight sort of intervention. Can you go to the cardiologist with him and really try to drive it home that if he keeps doing what he's doing, it could kill him? You're not trying to be a buzzkill, you're trying to have many more healthy years together.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM

83 posts, read 67,814 times
Real butter is better than that fake stuff.
Why is Butter Better | Butter Benefits

Old 07-01-2016, 10:18 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
It's not my Dinners. I make Cooking Light recipes that I make which are 350 calories, or less. Maybe once week I cook something not dietetic.

The problem is everything else he eats all day, especially now that he is retired. I do not buy these snacks because they are not what I would eat anyway. I hate nuts. He bought a 2 lb. container of dry roasted cashews, which he said are "healthy". I said to him that doesn't mean they are dietetic. He finished the container in a little over a week. I looked it all up. 754 calories in just one cup, not counting all the high fat content. 754 calories snack when I am making 350 calories for DINNER? Yesterday, HE bought a box of raisins to mix with the cashews. BTW, I don't eat raisins myself either.

Remember, he had a heart attack and put on a strict diet. He is not supposed to use butter or too much salt either. This morning he made a bagel for breakfast using my butter (he has a substitute) and was grinding salt on it. This is not a matter of just slimming down, but to prevent ANOTHER heart attack.

He is just going back to his old ways, and worse since he is home all day. I think his next Cardiologist appointment is in a few weeks. Maybe HE will tell him. Me nagging will just make it worse. Psychological perhaps?
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I'd buy him a case of diet meal replacement drinks. But it's on him. I hope he has life insurance.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Links with evidence from multiple sources?
Good CK, Holschuh N, Albertson AM, Eldridge AL. Whole grain
consumption and body mass index in adult women: an analysis of
NHANES 1999-2000 and the USDA pyramid servings database.
J Am
Coll Nutr.
2008;27(1):80-87.

Lutsey PL, Jacobs DR, Jr., Kori S, Mayer-Davis E, Shea S, Steffen
LM, Szklo M, Tracy R. Whole grain intake and its cross-sectional
association with obesity, insulin resistance, inflammation, diabetes
and subclinical CVD: The MESA Study.
Br J Nutr.
2007;98(2):397-40

Priebe MG, van Binsbergen JJ, de Vos R, Vonk RJ. Whole grain
foods for the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Cochrane
Database Syst Rev.
2008(1):CD006061.

Harland JI, Garton LE. Whole-grain intake as a marker of healthy
body weight and adiposity.
Public Health Nutr.
2008;11(6):554-563

Rose N, Hosig K, Davy B, Serrano E, Davis L. Whole-grain intake is
associated with body mass index in college students.
J Nutr Educ
Behav.
2007;39(2):90-94.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Agree to disagree.. The US has major health problems in its populace so start looking at how food supply has changed over time, it certainly has not stayed stable at all.
You are right. Food consumption in the US has changed. People eat more processed and fast foods, are more sedentary, cook at home less, eat much more sugar, and consume LESS whole grain. If anything, this decrease in wheat and other whole grain consumption is one of the major factors for people's chronic health problems.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 AM

83 posts, read 67,814 times
There is TOO much grain consumption in the USA. Lots of fat, corn fed people!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:57 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Can we stop with the low-carb tangents? It's not what the OP was asking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I'd buy him a case of diet meal replacement drinks. But it's on him. I hope he has life insurance.
That might be the wake up call the husband needs--sit down with him and say, "okay, we need to go over our wills and insurance and finances, since you're not acting like someone who's going to be around much longer."

Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's not my Dinners. I make Cooking Light recipes that I make which are 350 calories, or less. Maybe once week I cook something not dietetic
No wonder he is feeling like he has to make up for what he is not getting when you are not there.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs45 View Post
There is TOO much grain consumption in the USA. Lots of fat, corn fed people!
There is too much processed grain consumption (as well as other processed foods) in the US and very little whole grain consumption.

Stop eating processed grains and eat whole grains and there would be no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss